WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

961 - 980 of 2562 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yeah, I've actually given away quite a few of my other watches to friends and family, although I'm sure I have some old stuff laying around somewhere. My wife just found her old box of Swatches from the 80s, which is fun.

I usually wear my AT on a Hirsch James or Pure, so I even work out with it on! For some reason, I really like the idea of leaving my son a watch that's been through everything. My G-Shock is for service time or the apocalypse. lol
I'm not a father yet, but I like the idea of passing a nice watch down too.

G Shocks will be all that's left after the apocalypse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I am falling hard for an Omega Railmaster.

However I need to do ask some basic questions that I hope people reading this thread can answer.

One, how is the lume? I am a confirmed lumeaholic so this is a question of great interest.

Two, if I understand, the Railmaster has a coaxial movement. How expensive is it to fix, service those movements? Can I have them serviced by an independent? I understand that Omega is tightening up service parts which would drive up costs. Are there recommendations for independent Omega watchmakers or do I need to go through an Omega service center?

Three, I have a 6.5 inch wrist. Which size would be best? 36, 39 or 42? If I have the available sizes correct.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
[...]

One, how is the lume? I am a confirmed lumeaholic so this is a question of great interest.

Two, if I understand, the Railmaster has a coaxial movement. How expensive is it to fix, service those movements? Can I have them serviced by an independent? I understand that Omega is tightening up service parts which would drive up costs. Are there recommendations for independent Omega watchmakers or do I need to go through an Omega service center?

Three, I have a 6.5 inch wrist. Which size would be best? 36, 39 or 42? If I have the available sizes correct.

Thanks in advance!
Regarding the lume:

railume.jpg

Bright enough?

Regarding service prices:

https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/service-prices/

Edit: The Seamaster Railmaster Co-Axial from 2003 is driven by an Omega 2403 movement, which is actually based on an Omega 2500 respectively an ETA 2824-A2 movement. This can be serviced by any knowledgeable and experienced watchmaker.

Regarding your wrist:

To my mind this is a matter of personal preference. There's no rule of thumb. A friend and I have got nearly identical wrist sizes with about 7,3 inches. He wears a 39 mm model out of conviction, whereas I prefer the 41 mm model.

My best guess is that you'll find your size with the 36 or 39 mm model. But who's stopping you to wear 41 mm? :)

All questions covered?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

However I need to do ask some basic questions that I hope people reading this thread can answer.

Thanks in advance!
Go 36. With that size wrist I think you'll be pushing it with the other sizes. I started with a 39, couldnt help but think it was too big. Now have the 36 and love it. Remember the watch wears big cuz it's all dial.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It's 36,2 - 39,2 - 41mm.

The best size for you does depend on

- the width of your wrist more than the circumference of your wrist (anatomy)
- the style of the watch (a 43mm pilot watch may look perfect, while a 43mm dresswatch may looks too big on the same wrist)
- the style you want to go for
- what kind of guy you are (anatomy and style)

Wrist circumference per se is totally overrated and almost meaningless as a value alone without the factors above considered. We can commonly agree that a watch typically looks 'too big' if it's bigger than your wrist - when the lugs protrude above your wrist, but that's all that is to that. Ok, yeah, and chances are high, that on a 6.5 inch wrist the 41mm Railmaster will be too much for most folks.

But at least between the 36,2 and 39,2 you will have to make your own choice, I wouldn't rely much on recommendations. For example the 39,2mm Railmaster looked perfect on Btreichel87's wrist - see #892 -, he just feels that the 36,2mm copy is the better size for him. :)
This choice is very personal, I could easily wear all of them, but 39,2 is the match for me.

Please read these posts to get an idea:

#886 (Follow the link in that post!)

And if it helps (re wrist width), the 39,2 mm Railmaster measures almost 47 over the lugs, the 41mm is 50mm there.

Cheers!
Bernd

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have 6.9" wrists, and I have the 39mm case, but I'd probably prefer the 36mm model. I don't own 36mm simply because the 19mm lug to lug makes it harder to find straps, and I rarely wear the bracelet. If Hirsch made their James strap in 19mm, I may reconsider.

As for the movement, you just want to make sure the indy watchmaker has had Omega training and has a parts account, since the Co-Axial isn't the same as servicing your standard Swiss lever movement.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It's 36,2 - 39,2 - 41mm.

The best size for you does depend on

- the width of your wrist more than the circumference of your wrist (anatomy)
- the style of the watch (a 43mm pilot watch may look perfect, while a 43mm dresswatch may looks too big on the same wrist)
- the style you want to go for
- what kind of guy you are (anatomy and style)

Wrist circumference per se is totally overrated and almost meaningless as a value alone without the factors above considered. We can commonly agree that a watch typically looks 'too big' if it's bigger than your wrist - when the lugs protrude above your wrist, but that's all that is to that. Ok, yeah, and chances are high, that on a 6.5 inch wrist the 41mm Railmaster will be too much for most folks.

But at least between the 36,2 and 39,2 you will have to make your own choice, I wouldn't rely much on recommendations. For example the 39,2mm Railmaster looked perfect on Btreichel87's wrist - see #892 -, he just feels that the 36,2mm copy is the better size for him. :)
This choice is very personal, I could easily wear all of them, but 39,2 is the match for me.

Please read these posts to get an idea:

#886 (Follow the link in that post!)

And if it helps (re wrist width), the 39,2 mm Railmaster measures almost 47 over the lugs, the 41mm is 50mm there.

Cheers!
Bernd
Very fair and accurate assessment. He's right, between the 39.2 and 36.2 will largely be impacted by personal preference. From my experience though, i wish I had gone to the 36 right away. Although the 39 allowed me to be at a price point I was more comfortable with at the time, then I fell in love with the watch, then I was willing to fork out the extra doe for a 36. So I really can't call it a bad decision. Happy railmaster hunting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very fair and accurate assessment. He's right, between the 39.2 and 36.2 will largely be impacted by personal preference. From my experience though, i wish I had gone to the 36 right away. Although the 39 allowed me to be at a price point I was more comfortable with at the time, then I fell in love with the watch, then I was willing to fork out the extra doe for a 36. So I really can't call it a bad decision. Happy railmaster hunting.
Which allowed me to join the RM fam

It's been covered here, but all personal preference. As mentioned, it's all dial so it wears big.. in fact bigger than my GMT 16710. I have a 6.5 wrist and it's not overpowering. 40mm is kind of my line in the sand anyway. The lume is fantastic

Reactions: Tanjecterly

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Which allowed me to join the RM fam

It's been covered here, but all personal preference. As mentioned, it's all dial so it wears big.. in fact bigger than my GMT 16710. I have a 6.5 wrist and it's not overpowering. 40mm is kind of my line in the sand anyway. The lume is fantastic

Agreed. Because it is all dial, my 39.2mm Aqua Terra wears a littler bigger (visually from the top down) than my 5-digit SubDate and Exp II, although they're thicker, and I find the Aqua Terra to be among the most comfortable watches at that size. It's relatively thin overall, and, most importantly, the caseback is flat. I notice the Rolex watches on my wrist much more than my AT...which is partly why I got rid of them all! :)

Having a nearly 7" wrist, I kinda fall right in between the 36.2mm and 39.2mm sizes, IMO, so either would work for me.

·
Registered
801 Posts

Thanks in advance!
I'll chime in.

I have the same size wrist as you and didn't even consider anything but the 36mm AT.

I have several 38-39mm all dial (no bezel) watches and although they work they do wear large on my wrist.

Some examples:

Seiko SARB035, 38mm

Sinn 556i, 38.5mm

Certina DS-1, 39mm

Omega AT, 36mm - Perfection

As others have said, it all depends on what you fancy and if you prefer the modern, larger look. I've tried loads of different sizes over the years and some looked bloody ridiculous on me (hindsight is a wonderful thing).

I've grown to prefer the classic aesthetic with watches now.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
LOL. Thanks, Watch Obsessive, for your remarks!

I have a slightly different take -- my watches tend to be 40 or higher. While I don't have pictures at the moment, I have 41mm BBs, Ranger, and a 43mm Stowa Flieger Sport (my largest). So I guess I like 'em big. (That can also be said about many other things. ;-))

Honestly right now, my inclination would be the 39.2 inch one.

But first I need to raise up the funds!

·
Registered
801 Posts
LOL. Thanks, Watch Obsessive, for your remarks!

I have a slightly different take -- my watches tend to be 40 or higher. While I don't have pictures at the moment, I have 41mm BBs, Ranger, and a 43mm Stowa Flieger Sport (my largest). So I guess I like 'em big. (That can also be said about many other things. ;-))

Honestly right now, my inclination would be the 39.2 inch one.

But first I need to raise up the funds!
Ha ha! I agree, something's are better bigger.

Sounds like you have a nice collection! Love the BBs but too long lug to lug for me.

Have you found an available AT?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Love the xxl. One of my favourite omegas. I find the tapering of the original strap far too agressive. Looks silly. Looks way better on a 24-22mm strap. Looks great on nato too

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ok guys. I have a confession to make. I've always been aware of and liked the Aqua Terra, and to a lesser extend the Railmaster. Neither model really resonated with me though. You may have seen a few of my posts floating around inquiring into the AT lately.

Well, over the past few days and many pages and photos later - holy cow, I need one of these. I'm super torn, the 39mm Railmaster on bracelet is an absolute stunner, but i'm attracted to the new 8500 movement in the newer ATs.

ahh.........I can flip 2 of my watches and get myself roughly half way there....then.........ahh

Credit to all the photos in the thread!!
I'd like to follow up:

961 - 980 of 2562 Posts