WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the postman delivered a recent eBay win: this outstanding 1968 Bulova Accutron Astronaut with the caliber 214 tuning fork movement. This Astronaut is extra special to me because it's equipped with the legendary J.B. Champion, Accutron-signed, "bullet" bracelet. The "bullet" bracelet is the most coveted of the Astronaut bracelets, and can be found on the web selling for upwards of $1,000! I was fortunate to find this example - - watch AND bracelet - - for much less. :)

More background on Accutron following these pics.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In 1952 Bulova watch engineer Max Hetzel was challenged by Bulova president Arde Bulova to identify and develop a new watchmaking technology that could employ newly-invented electronic transistors. During the 1950s Hetzel designed and perfected an electrically stimulated tuning fork that could vibrate at 360 times per second (360 Hz) and maintain an accuracy of two seconds per day, or one minute per month. The Bulova Watch Company launched the new Accutron division in late 1960. The Accutron's performance impressed NASA enough to commission Bulova to build tuning fork timing devices for its space missions.

Apollo astronauts placed test equipment on the Moon's surface in the Sea of Tranquility, regulated by an Accutron tuning fork timer, which is still on the Moon today.

Bulova's electronic tuning fork technology revolutionized the watch industry, redefining the meaning of "accuracy" in a wristwatch. Bulova's use of electronics served as a forerunner of the quartz crystal movements introduced a decade later.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
That is in gorgeous condition! I'm still debating whether I want an astronaut or space view.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
AWESOME find!! Congrats!! Excellent condition and looking GREAT!! The history of the movement is very interesting, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
Another jewel in your amazing crown-jewels-only collection, Tom |> |> |> |> |>

Great taste as usual |>

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
That's a wonderful looking watch and a slide of horological history to boot. Many congratulations.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Outstanding Tom, congratulations! :-! Nothing like the sound of an Accutron humming along on the wrist.

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Is this the one that was posted in the sales forum?

If so, I saw that watch and really, really, really had to exercise self-control and discipline.

If not, there was one exactly like it.

At any rate, it is one really neat and good looking watch.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this the one that was posted in the sales forum?

If so, I saw that watch and really, really, really had to exercise self-control and discipline.

If not, there was one exactly like it.

At any rate, it is one really neat and good looking watch.
I scored it on eBay.|>

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
That is a very cool looking watch. I would love to be a proud owner of one in this condition one day. It looks great. Enjoy it...

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I miss my Accutrons, they really are special watches. The cal. 214 Astronaut, Spaceview, Railroad Approved and cal. 218 Deep Sea have all been on my grail list. I had to let two of them go and have never been able to find an Astronaut or Deep Sea in my price range that were also in good condition.

I hope to see a few wrist check pics with that beauty Tom :-!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Wow! That must be one of the nicest example I have seen of that beautiful timepiece. Big congrats for the nice score pacifichrono! I love the Astronaut, the case the lugs and the bracelet makes it unique or should i say a classic. Thanks for the great pics and historical references, very interesting. We need more post like that, where we actually learn things! Well done.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Just gorgeous! Isn't the Astronaut one of the larger Accutrons? Seems like I remember it being in the 38-40mm range, and about the higest on my list of tuning fork grails. Fantastic score!

Clair

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Probably my grail watch...congratulations!

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
That's another reason to sharpen up my eyeballs whenever I see your name. Your watches always make me drool.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Another congrats Tom on a very beautiful watch..My grail is the new Spaceview,but unobtainable..I may luck out on the lottery,,maybe

·
5,151 Posts
Congrats, Tom. That is a sweet watch in fine condition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts