WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It strikes me after wearing my new slate grey bathyscaphe that I may have found the perfect match between a watch and an activity. I think most of us think about the dress watch, the casual watch, the globetrotting watch and so on. One could argue the blancpain bathyscaphe can be worn for a casual but nice dinner just as much as it can be worn while at the beach or at work. However, I think that sells this watch short.

What is interesting is that once I got comfortable with the watch, and spent way to much money of the deployant clasp, I have truly found a watch that fits best on vacation.

It was not until I wore it for a week while traveling that I realized how damn comfortable it is. I never worry about scratching it and with the clasp and sailcloth strap it sits perfect while in a hot climate. Better yet, the lack of a bracelet puts the right weight on my wrist. The lume is perfect for reading at night and I can’t help but take a quick gander at it in the sun.

The fact is, if I wore any of my other watches, someone would notice a Rolex, or panerai. It would be hard to miss a big pilot. This watch is neither an imposter trying to look like something else nor is it screaming for anyone to look at it.

I think I can sum up my week on the wrist moment as this....
Thank you James Bond for never wearing this watch in a movie and ruining my opportunity to enjoy the purity of a watch at its best with no fuss.

Pics of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree, it's a phenomenal all around watch that has that nice balance of dressy and sporty. Looks great!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
It strikes me after wearing my new slate grey bathyscaphe that I may have found the perfect match between a watch and an activity. I think most of us think about the dress watch, the casual watch, the globetrotting watch and so on. One could argue the blancpain bathyscaphe can be worn for a casual but nice dinner just as much as it can be worn while at the beach or at work. However, I think that sells this watch short.

What is interesting is that once I got comfortable with the watch, and spent way to much money of the deployant clasp, I have truly found a watch that fits best on vacation.

It was not until I wore it for a week while traveling that I realized how damn comfortable it is. I never worry about scratching it and with the clasp and sailcloth strap it sits perfect while in a hot climate. Better yet, the lack of a bracelet puts the right weight on my wrist. The lume is perfect for reading at night and I can’t help but take a quick gander at it in the sun.

The fact is, if I wore any of my other watches, someone would notice a Rolex, or panerai. It would be hard to miss a big pilot. This watch is neither an imposter trying to look like something else nor is it screaming for anyone to look at it.

I think I can sum up my week on the wrist moment as this....
Thank you James Bond for never wearing this watch in a movie and ruining my opportunity to enjoy the purity of a watch at its best with no fuss.

Pics of course.

Very nice indeed, but I prefer thr refinement of the 50fathoms...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I had the chronograph version of this watch, and I agree with you on all points. It’s a great all rounder of a watch for an active lifestyle. I sold mine off because I bought a JLC Deep Sea chronograph in cermet, and I thought that would be a better watch for me, as it was much lighter and scratch proof, but while that watch has been great, I still regret very much letting go of the Bathyscaphe..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the chronograph version of this watch, and I agree with you on all points. It’s a great all rounder of a watch for an active lifestyle. I sold mine off because I bought a JLC Deep Sea chronograph in cermet, and I thought that would be a better watch for me, as it was much lighter and scratch proof, but while that watch has been great, I still regret very much letting go of the Bathyscaphe..
Yeah. I looked at the chrono but agree it’s heavier, higher and ends up missing the main reason I love the watch. Just my thought.

And to the others on the bracelet. It’s growing on me. I’ll need to hit the AD and try it on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I really wanted to love this watch as it does some many things well but for me some of the elements on the face a bit off in terms of proportion. I'm speaking in terms of the 38mm version though. Must say looks great in your photos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just saw this thread, and a big yes in agreement from me. The Bathyscaphe is the one watch to do it all on holiday. You can wear it in the surf, and then to dinner. It's physically tough, yet doesn't look like a piece of soviet machinery hanging off your arm! There's really no reason you would need to leave it behind in your hotel room.

My wife and I saw one, but didn't buy in their Zurich store when on holiday some time ago. She later got me one for a life milestone gift. The 38mm in blue.

I also like that it's relatively rare (less than 30 Blancpains are produced over day of all models combined) and the appearance is subtle and understated.

Like all divers, you can use the dive bezel timezone trick to manage a second timezone when travelling overseas. All up, a wonderful travel watch.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I am considering getting a Blancpain Bathyscaphe 43 mm

5000-1110-B52A

One concern that I have is that, from what I can gather, the sail cloth strap appears to be a bit short, maybe 115/75?

That might be a bit tight for my 7,5" wrist.

Any one have any feedback or info?

·
Registered
496 Posts

5000-1110-B52A

One concern that I have is that, from what I can gather, the sail cloth strap appears to be a bit short, maybe 115/75?

It is a short strap but the nato strap is fine! (Mine came with both and aftermarket is plentiful)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

5000-1110-B52A

With a 7 inch wrist I have 5 holes left with a deployant clasp. It seems like it would be fine. I did look at the nato but for me it started sitting higher and takes away from looking at the back.

Awesome watch if you do get it. Nothing to regret.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts