WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Question (and I may be being dense) why do a lot of buyers keep thier IDs hidden?

Tax?

thanks

Al
If the item is not from an individual a retail outlet there is no tax.
If the seller is from a different state (US) there is no tax charged, but some states have a use tax that requires the individual to report the sale and pay the tax directly. There is a lot of compliance with this law.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you're referring to the users name which is followed by the feedback number ie. "watchguy (21)" but what you are seeing is "watchguy (private)", then I do believe this is "shill bidding".

This diabolical little trick is used by some sellers to enhance the activity and price of their offering. Personally, if I look at the list of bidders, and see one or two "privates", I don't bid. Someone's trying to be cute ....

In case I'm way off the mark, and some of you keep your feedback private, may I ask WHY you would do this? What is the reason to hide this info?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There's a difference between keeping feedback hidden and IDs hidden. When IDs are hidden, it's usually because the seller has made the auction that way. A hidden ID prevents the eventual buyer being hassled and I see little wrong with that.

What does irk me though is hidden feedback. If someone elects to have their feedback hidden, then there's something dodgy/illegal going on and I would never ever buy from them. In fact, I think eBay have recently revised their policy so that feedback cannot ever be hidden. :-!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There's a difference between keeping feedback hidden and IDs hidden. When IDs are hidden, it's usually because the seller has made the auction that way. A hidden ID prevents the eventual buyer being hassled and I see little wrong with that.

What does irk me though is hidden feedback. If someone elects to have their feedback hidden, then there's something dodgy/illegal going on and I would never ever buy from them. In fact, I think eBay have recently revised their policy so that feedback cannot ever be hidden. :-!
I agree with your first paragraph; if I'm dropping allot of numbers before the "point", I don't want the sharks coming by later to visit. So hiding the "buyers" ID's is good with me ....

I suspect there is something dodgy abouy "private" feedback numbers; sounds an awful lot like shilling. As late as this morning, I've seen "private" feedbackk bidders; is this new rule going into effect soon? If so, I suspect allot of the shilling will stop, and allot of the pricing on the SE Asia dealer sites will increase. I'm sure this isn't the only place it's happening, it's the only place I play, most of the time.

As always, pay attention; they can't get you if you see it coming ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.