WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Further to Ernie’s report on Romain Jerome winning the best watch advertising award campaign for 2013, OMEGA has scooped the award from the same show in the Cyber & Films category. Yes, not content to win awards purely for superlative watchmaking, many Swiss manufactures also vie to win awards for the advertising that promotes their products.

The annual Swiss watchmaking advertising campaign awards recognises the Swiss watchmaking industry’s best achievements in advertising campaigns, with ad campaigns being judged in terms of creativity, spirit of innovation, aesthetics and quality.

This year’s competition attracted a large number of entries from watch brands both well-established and new to the scene. The competition showcases the quality and diversity of advertising ideas which help to create and build a heritage for the top Swiss brands.

The jury met in Lausanne on October 8 to make its decision on the campaigns, and several thousand votes were submitted by the public on Actualité | L'Hebdo.

The Best Watchmaking Campaign Awards were presented at the ‘Watch of the Year’ gala held on Friday, October 25, 2013, before an audience of some 500 watchmaking and communication professionals.

RJ.jpg

As Ernie has reported, in the ‘Print/Poster’ category, the jury awarded the Best Watchmaking Campaign Award to RJ Romain Jerome for the campaign ‘RJ-Romain Jerome invades BSWDN 2013’. It’s the third time in four years that RJ has waled off with the best Watchmaking Campaign Award.

The jury cited the mastery of its typographic work, aesthetics, design, attention to detail, and consistency between the advertising approach and the models being marketed. A contemporary, urban campaign that leaves a lasting impression.

The jury’s choice in the ‘Films & Cyber’ category went to the film ‘Omega Co-Axial’ from Omega. Its winning qualities were artistic creativity, impactful communication, brand territory suitability, expression of brand values through the movement metaphor, and overall high quality execution.

GP.jpg

The online ‘Public Choice’ award went to Girard-Perregaux for its ‘Academy Museum’ campaign.

Visit the Montrespassion website

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Are you kidding me!? This is what passes for good advertising these days?! Don't get me wrong to some extent I appreciate the clever use of the different aspects of the movement to create this pseudo earth like (solar-system like) animation...but please give me a break! You think Omeeega is a bit full of itself!? "movements so perfect you'd hardly think they were created by humans"!?

/rant over

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Reactions: Fi33pop and wuyeah

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I think it's a great advertisement. Simple idea, but far better executed than most watch advertisements out there and it does a great job of summing up everything the brand is about with the visuals. As for the claim they make in the ad, highly debatable of course. But can you think of a single watch company that doesn't claim they're the best in the history of mankind in their advertisements? At least this ad accompanies the ubiquitous and hardly defensible claim with an artistic show.

It's an ad meant to inspire an appreciation of mechanical watchmaking in the average consumer, and they did a fine job of that. They're not going to win any customers by making an ad that reads like a debate with a watchmaker on the pros and cons of adapting the coaxial escapement for mass production.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
They are all great ads. Has anyone actually encountered one of them in the course of their daily existence? I know I don't recall seeing any of them anywhere, but then I'm not not the type to encounter much that marketers put out unless they present it on airplanes and I have no way to avoid it.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Sometimes they exaggerate their claims a bit (a lot), but still, lets face it, Omega's calibre 8508 is by far the best adaptation of ETA movement. All the rest of "luxury" and "premium" watch firms just use pretty much exactly the same slightly decorated ETA movements as everyone else. Boooring. Omega is the only company who adopted different escapement and uses it in a wide range of "affordable" watches. Everyone else who also use some form of other escapement mechanism cost idiotic amounts of money which basically places them in the "they don't exist" zone and are treated as a concept pretty much. And there is the Si14. Yes, many companies claim their springs are not affected by magnetism, but in all reality, they are still greatly affected despite all the anti magnetic shielding and springs that are supposedly magnet proof. Si14 springs have ZERO metals that are even tiny bit affected by magnetism. You can stick it to the strongest magnet you can imagine and it won't go off because of that. I work with speakers a lot and i know how annoying that is where pretty much all speakers these days use neodymium magnets which are one of the strongest there is. Plus, some of the AquaTerra and Planet Ocean designs are just as legendary as Submariner and few other general designs that everyone else want to adopt and copy. And at the same time, despite advertising, Omega somehow just didn't quite yet reached that snob factor Rolex got with extreme advertising and pushing of their brand.

So, all in all, you have to give a proper credit to Omega for use of technology, proper balanced advertising, really nice designs and still keeping the costs within reasonable limits (reasonable being below 15k and still offer a lot more than most of others can). It's no problem to go all mad with tech and give the watch a 7 digit price tag...

So, yeah, Omega watches are pretty high on my grail list and pretty much the only Swiss watch company that i have adored ever since i can remember.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Interesting. I was in a movie theatre last weekend and I guess I saw a slight variation of this ad. Instead of saying "the most perfect mechanical watch movement in the world," the narrator said something like "the most perfect mechanical watch movement we've ever produced." The latter seems a lot more reasonable than the former.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
All 3 of those above are terrible.

Seriously, what is up with cartoonish skull-faced dials?? Bad enough Bell & Ross does that $#!% (and I like Bell & Ross) but now we have another one jumping on that bandwagon??

Reactions: Hatman14

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Sometimes they exaggerate their claims a bit (a lot), but still, lets face it, Omega's calibre 8508 is by far the best adaptation of ETA movement. All the rest of "luxury" and "premium" watch firms just use pretty much exactly the same slightly decorated ETA movements as everyone else. Boooring. Omega is the only company who adopted different escapement and uses it in a wide range of "affordable" watches. Everyone else who also use some form of other escapement mechanism cost idiotic amounts of money which basically places them in the "they don't exist" zone and are treated as a concept pretty much. And there is the Si14. Yes, many companies claim their springs are not affected by magnetism, but in all reality, they are still greatly affected despite all the anti magnetic shielding and springs that are supposedly magnet proof. Si14 springs have ZERO metals that are even tiny bit affected by magnetism. You can stick it to the strongest magnet you can imagine and it won't go off because of that. I work with speakers a lot and i know how annoying that is where pretty much all speakers these days use neodymium magnets which are one of the strongest there is. Plus, some of the AquaTerra and Planet Ocean designs are just as legendary as Submariner and few other general designs that everyone else want to adopt and copy. And at the same time, despite advertising, Omega somehow just didn't quite yet reached that snob factor Rolex got with extreme advertising and pushing of their brand.

So, all in all, you have to give a proper credit to Omega for use of technology, proper balanced advertising, really nice designs and still keeping the costs within reasonable limits (reasonable being below 15k and still offer a lot more than most of others can). It's no problem to go all mad with tech and give the watch a 7 digit price tag...

So, yeah, Omega watches are pretty high on my grail list and pretty much the only Swiss watch company that i have adored ever since i can remember.
Okay, fine. Forget whether the claims are accurate, somewhat so, or totally false. Forget who makes the watch, what's inside it, forget whether the watch 's parts respond to magnetism. Think whatever you will about Omega and their goods. What does any of that have to do with the advertising award? I read your entire post, struggling and waiting all the way, to make the connection between winning an award for advertising? I never did. Can you please help me out here? What do you like about the Omega ad? Or don't you like about some of the other companies' advertisements?

The reason I felt as I did about RJ's ad was because their watches have some of the most bizarre looks going and the one pictured in their ad is definitely one of them, yet it makes such a such an uncomfortable theme -- the look of death -- something other than altogether morbid. The Dali-esque skull they used no doubt helps that happen. That's no mean achievement IMO.

(The scale of this image and your proximity to it make it hard to really grasp the point, but put it on your screen and then walk away from the screen as much as you can. At some point, it should start to come to light what I'm talking about.)

Omega's video ad too is absolutely masterful. It hits three of one's senses and makes one really want to see that movement in person. That's something that, for one having a few watches having something like notable movements, I've never really given a tinker's dam about, even when I can see them. I can only think that non-watchies must feel the same way. To that end, I can see the Omega ad as being very, very good at what it's supposed to do -- generate interest in Omega.

All the best.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are you kidding me!? This is what passes for good advertising these days?! Don't get me wrong to some extent I appreciate the clever use of the different aspects of the movement to create this pseudo earth like (solar-system like) animation...but please give me a break! You think Omeeega is a bit full of itself!? "movements so perfect you'd hardly think they were created by humans"!?

/rant over
Yeah what were they thinking with the planet's...."In the beginning God created....."? Lol.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
@Tony
This isn't the only Omega ad and i was talking about all of them, out of which there are also two that talk about Co-axial and Si14. There.

·
Moderator at Large
53,657 Posts
Advertisement lives off exaggeration, be it Omega or RJ or any other manufacturer. Keeping that in mind "best" is relative and on the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
RJ deserves to win that. Though they make some truely amazing looking watches, they also make some that are just hideous and that evoke some of the most revolting imagery possible. Take the watch below. I know what the brown bezel isn't made of, but I also know what it looks like.

MMMMM, chocolate...wait, what?? LOL.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Awesome video but it sure didn't tell me anything about the watch or movement itself. Whatsup with that?

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
MMMMM, chocolate...wait, what?? LOL.
LOL....nope...doesn't look like an obeisance to chocolate pastries and desserts to me.....good guess though. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts