WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nope...it's not the GMT / 2nd time zone complication (although that is certainly nice for intercontinental travel). I actually think that a "jumping hour hand" is the premier function for traveling. The ability to quickly change the hour when crossing time zones without altering the seconds hand is invaluable.

Now, you will probably note that most timepieces having the jumping hour hand function also have a GMT complication, and that's certainly true (Omega GMT, Rolex Exp-II & GMT, IWC TZC, e.g.). You'll probably also note that watches featuring this complication have something else in common: they're not cheap!

So here's the real reason for my post: I need your help compiling a more complete list of watches containing this complication. I would like to know about any watches out there (whether current production models or vintage) where the hour hand jumps independently of the minutes/seconds.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,307 Posts

Nope...it's not the GMT / 2nd time zone complication (although that is certainly nice for intercontinental travel). I actually think that a "jumping hour hand" is the premier function for traveling. The ability to quickly change the hour when crossing time zones without altering the seconds hand is invaluable.

Now, you will probably note that most timepieces having the jumping hour hand function also have a GMT complication, and that's certainly true (Omega GMT, Rolex Exp-II & GMT, IWC TZC, e.g.). You'll probably also note that watches featuring this complication have something else in common: they're not cheap!

So here's the real reason for my post: I need your help compiling a more complete list of watches containing this complication. I would like to know about any watches out there (whether current production models or vintage) where the hour hand jumps independently of the minutes/seconds.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
If you are open to quartz, I think all of the ETA 251.xxx chronographs have this feature.

Modern examples would include something like most models of the Victorinox Chrono Classic XLS or Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono Quartz, but also in higher end watches as well (TAG, Maurice LaCroix, etc.)

It's a nice movement if you're into chronos. The only real concern is that it's limited to timing events only out to 30 minutes duration.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Wouldn't a dual time zone watch with an independently adjustable 12 hour hand or jumping 12 hour wheel be best for travel? That way the current time zone is always in 12 hour format.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Sounds unnecessarily complicated.

Like many in N. America, most of my travel is within a few time zones. +1 and -2 most commonly since I'm in Central Time. The jumping hour hand solves the +/- 1-3 hour problem nicely.

GMT is nice, but for the rare occasions when most of us non-Jetsetters need it there's another helpful complication called "do the math in your head."

(Included free with every watch purchase) ;-)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well my JLC reverso 976 has "jumping hour" setting function

but that is not cheap and i never would risk to take it with me on holiday so you can count it out :)

Отправлено с моего Philips I908 через Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nomos has three to choose from.

[iurl="https://www.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5271938&d=1437828949"]
[/iurl]
Indeed--thank you for adding this to the list. My personal issue that voids the Nomos brand from being a useful travel watch is the lack of a date function, which when traveling, I consider to be absolutely essential.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Omega 8500/9300 movements have this feature.
Thank you, Alex. I had thought that to be the case but wasn't certain. I find that very interesting--having the jumping hour but no 24-hr or dual-time zone complication. Pretty cool. Wonder if anyone else does that...

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Ulysse Nardin dual time ? Though you still have have a 2nd time zone displayed on the dial but it is clearer than a 24 hour hand.

·
Registered
36,300 Posts
I would like to know about any watches out there (whether current production models or vintage) where the hour hand jumps independently of the minutes/seconds.

Thanks in advance!
SUN023 and 025

G-7710 has 3 simultaneous time zones, among it's unique features

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The CITIZEN AQ 1000 series - hour jumping without GMT. HAQ movement.
Oris Worldtimer - hour jumping by pushers.
Any Citizen GMT quartz - actually this is tricky as it sets hour hand in one direction only, in opposite direction is setting the date.
Any Seiko GMT (quartz or kinetic).
Any Grand Seiko GMT.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
You have to help me out OP, because I travel a lot and can't figure out why this should be an important feature to me.

Granted a hacking hour hand is important on a HAQ watch, but since most of these watches have no second time zone or alarms not much of a travel watch. On a mechanical watch should I really care about the the three or four seconds I loose moving the hands?

I thought the Citizen Skyhawk you know the models that can change to all the time zones in the world with the touch of a couple of buttons, and display three time zones at once or the Casio Oceanus GPS models that can adjust the time the minute I land any where in the world might be better travel watches.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a handy complication if you're sweating HAQ accuracy around daylight savings time, but travel? A mechanical watch? Better than GMT?

I guess we just disagree on the best watch for travel.

·
Premium Member
8,594 Posts
You have to help me out OP, because I travel a lot and can't figure out why this should be an important feature to me.

Granted a hacking hour hand is important on a HAQ watch, but since most of these watches have no second time zone or alarms not much of a travel watch. On a mechanical watch should I really care about the the three or four seconds I loose moving the hands?

I thought the Citizen Skyhawk you know the models that can change to all the time zones in the world with the touch of a couple of buttons, and display three time zones at once or the Casio Oceanus GPS models that can adjust the time the minute I land any where in the world might be better travel watches.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a handy complication if you're sweating HAQ accuracy around daylight savings time, but travel? A mechanical watch? Better than GMT?

I guess we just disagree on the best watch for travel.
I think the point was, the OP wants an hour hand that can be moved in 1-hour jumps without doing anything to the minute or seconds hands. That way you can set the watch to your current time zone very easily.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts