WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Best Watch (where money IS an object)

4K views 43 replies 37 participants last post by  Okapi001 
#1 ·
What is the least expensive yet first-rate automatic watch(es)? I'm looking for the point of diminishing returns, where further investment yields little additional quality. Can such a watch be had for under $1000? Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Any time people ask about the best value chronograph, I always go to the ~$400 Seiko 6139. I love this watch.
Happy to have it in the collection alongside watches costing far more - I always enjoy wearing it.

1. The Seiko 6139 is one of the 3 movements in the race for El Primero automatic chronograph, reaching the shelf before the Zenith 3019PHC, or the Heuer Cal. 11
Hodinkee Article: Just Because: Seiko 6139, The Other First Automatic Chronograph

2. A gold '71 Seiko 6139-6005 was the first automatic watch in space.
It was worn by Col. Wm. Pogue on his 84 day Skylab 4 mission in 1973, setting a record for 12 weeks in orbit.

Col. Pogue died in 2014 at age 84, eulogized by NYT here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/sc...t-84.html?_r=0

3. I'ts good enough for Flash Gordon, savior of the universe.

4. Single-crown day/date watch with a internal rotating bezel. Awesome.

5. Great vintage Seiko style, with a modern 41mm case size and a beautiful sunburst dial, which color shifts from pale yellow to deep orange.
Always makes me happy to wear it.

6. It's the All-Man Man's Watch

7. It's the watch that Science built:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

I have some other 6139 print ads on the way from Japan now. Like I said, I love this watch.

Also love the 6138 Bullhead and Panda, but they're less 'important':

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

I don't know of/have any high-value non-Chrono automatics.

#10 ·
Any time people ask about the best value chronograph, I always go to the ~$400 Seiko 6139. I love this watch.
Happy to have it in the collection alongside watches costing far more - I always enjoy wearing it.

1. The Seiko 6139 is one of the 3 movements in the race for El Primero automatic chronograph, reaching the shelf before the Zenith 3019PHC, or the Heuer Cal. 11
Hodinkee Article: Just Because: Seiko 6139, The Other First Automatic Chronograph

2. A gold '71 Seiko 6139-6005 was the first automatic watch in space.
It was worn by Col. Wm. Pogue on his 84 day Skylab 4 mission in 1973, setting a record for 12 weeks in orbit.

Col. Pogue died in 2014 at age 84, eulogized by NYT here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/11/sc...t-84.html?_r=0

3. I'ts good enough for Flash Gordon, savior of the universe.

4. Single-crown day/date watch with a internal rotating bezel. Awesome.

5. Great vintage Seiko style, with a modern 41mm case size and a beautiful sunburst dial, which color shifts from pale yellow to deep orange.
Always makes me happy to wear it.

6. It's the All-Man Man's Watch

7. It's the watch that Science built:
View attachment 3865034

I have some other 6139 print ads on the way from Japan now. Like I said, I love this watch.

Also love the 6138 Bullhead and Panda, but they're less 'important':

View attachment 3865058

I don't know of/have any high-value non-Chrono automatics.
I have got to stop spending this amount of time on WUS. I'm going to end up penniless and living in a cardboard box.

#6 ·
Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Hamilton are usually the ones I recommend in the < 1K segment. The Chris Ward and Hamilton generally a bit pricier than their Japanese counterpart, but give you hacking movement, sapphire crystal and generally a bit better accuracy in the mechanical movement.

#18 ·
But Seiko sarb/sarx/sarw/etc series, Orient Star and Citizen Signature series have hacking and hand winding movements, sapphire crystals (minus a couple exceptions) and comparable accuracy with the swiss. The Citizen users are reporting phenomenal accuracy, in fact.
The fit and finish of the dial, hands and case of my Orient Stars is nicer than a Tissot, Certina or Hamilton, easily on par with Oris and Longines. I'm not trying to play the blind fanboy here, but was a bit disappointed when trying to add a swiss watch from the mentioned brands to my collection some months ago and discovering the finish wasn't as nice as my japanese watches, at comparable price points.....

#7 ·
Hamilton,Tissot and as far as bang for your buck Orient.

#15 ·
As long as you don't grossly overpay seiko up and down their product line have outstanding bang for the buck.

Hamilton if you shop wisely is great too.

#16 · (Edited)
There is no best watch. Only watches that you develop an emotional connection to.
That being said, under $1000 USD
I would list the following.

Stowa Partitio with the Top Grade ETA2824-2
Seiko SARB065 / SARB033
Stowa Flieger no Logo with ETA2824-2
Junkers Bauhaus with the ETA2824-2
Sinn 556i (but it only has a elabore 2824-2 and non fancy steel) barks in at a whisker over $1000

And if you search carefully on chrono24 you can get a Nomos Club ref701 under $1000 but it's a handwind

#17 ·
#28 · (Edited)
I think the $2000 price point is the sweet spot for very well-made watches for someone looking to get high-end (or near enough to it) quality without paying a brand premium.

Oris and Seiko divers
Junghans Chrono
Sinn and Stowa fliegers
Some Nomos
Longines

The watches at this price point - in my opinion - are at the sweet spot when it comes to diminishing returns.

#29 · (Edited)
Best watch for the money?

No single watch. Anything from the big brands (Patek, AP, Rolex, Omega, Heuer and IMHO - GS, although that may take a little more time to sell depending on the market). Also, pre-owned and obtained at an okay price (do the homework), relatively sought after model, not too many scratches and dings AND you can trust the dealer not to stick you with a franken or fake watch.

That is usually the best value but requires some leg work.

#34 · (Edited)
Great thread leaving lots to think about. My current daily watch is the Seiko SNZG13 with a D-Modell Offroad strap in light brown. The effect is similar to this Fleiger/Offroad combo (pic beloe) Cost was $130 - $80 for the watch on sale, $50 for the strap. While I'm happy with performance per dollar of this watch, watches with superior quality and mechanics but similar price/performance must exist somewhere.

Love the Offroad's compound curves
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

#35 · (Edited)
In my experience, there is significant additional quality gained by moving from the $100-300 price bracket to the $400-600. From $700-1,000 the gains diminish, but are still there.

But if I just say, "What's the best watch for under $1,000?"

This guy, the Stowa Flieger no logo, no date. New from Stowa is 782 euro without VAT; adding delivery, etc. and you are probably right around $1,000 delivered. I'm biased though because I love mine!

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

You get a display case-back with engraved rotor too. Looking at the specs for what you are buying today, you get the blued movement screws and a Top grade ETA movement. Nice right?

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Product Strap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.