WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we've had films, food and bunnies, so now the book thread!

1. What is your favourite book

2. What are you reading now?

I'm more of a film buff but enjoy a book also, I'm sure their will be some interesting choices

My fave would be 'IT' by Stephen King ( Very highbrow I know!)

Currently reading 'Dexter in the Dark' by Jeff Lindsay

Anyone who says 'G-Shock Bible' ***cough Mansrow cough*** will be slapped!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
Hmmm,

Me and books... Well, actually I read a book now:

Recently I read an advanced Organic Chemistry book. I think Dudegalea would like it. It's a chapter about relativity, time and space. Probability where an electron of a sub-orbit can be at what time and what happens if it got in a higher energy level... I know how to use it practically, but I gave up the theory...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I've been re-reading some of this to get me psyched for my grading on Wednesday. I'm really okay with the katas, although it might take more than being psyched up to get me through some of the paried work in the grading. :-s

I've also been reading this for some time now. I've read a lot of Iain Banks books, I think his culture novels are amazing.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always wanted to get into Iain M Banks! I read the Crow Road years ago but didn't really think much of it.

So I decided to try his Sci Fi books which are well regarded. I'm currently about two thirds of the way through Consider Phlebas but found it pretty heavy going and keep getting distracted by other books. Maybe one day I'll finish it!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hmm, books you said? My last one was 'Jarhead'. Excellent book, not so good movie... I´m currently not reading a book but ordered 'I am Legend' yesterday. Favourite book? Hmm, hard to say but 'The Hitchhikers Guide' is a very, very good read! And one awful movie!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
'The Hitchhikers Guide' is a very, very good read! And one awful movie!
I've lost count how many times I've read that. I also have the illustrated book, the TV series, the movie and the audio books. I have the 5th book now but haven't fully read it yet.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Book? Whats a book. Besides, who has time to read with all of the wonderful goings on here at G-Shock on WUS! b-):-d

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I've always wanted to get into Iain M Banks! I read the Crow Road years ago but didn't really think much of it.

So I decided to try his Sci Fi books which are well regarded. I'm currently about two thirds of the way through Consider Phlebas but found it pretty heavy going and keep getting distracted by other books. Maybe one day I'll finish it!
The books he writes just as Iain Banks (without the M) can be hard going. The only 2 I really enjoyed were The Wasp Factory and Walking On Glass. I think Consider Phlebas is a good one, and if you do finish it, try following it up with The Player Of Games.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I´m currently not reading a book but ordered 'I am Legend' yesterday...
Hi there, 77. How are those helo rides doing? :-d

You'll find I Am Legend very, very good. Don't expect the movie script, though. I Am Legend is actually a novella; you'll find other interesting stories in that book. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan, an author without whom "I wouldn't be here. He is much my father as Bessie Smith was Elvis Presley's mother" (Stephen King).

He has also an excellent book of short stories, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. TV and Movie fans surely will remember the classic The Twilight Zone story about a flying creature that attacks an airliner and can only be seen by a single, anguished, passenger. He was the author of that story. :-!

She likes to explore (or read?): :)

I Am Legend: |>

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
YIKES!!! This thread made me realize I have 4 books going right now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well we've had films, food and bunnies, so now the book thread!

1. What is your favourite book

2. What are you reading now?

I'm more of a film buff but enjoy a book also, I'm sure their will be some interesting choices

My fave would be 'IT' by Stephen King ( Very highbrow I know!)

Currently reading 'Dexter in the Dark' by Jeff Lindsay

Anyone who says 'G-Shock Bible' ***cough Mansrow cough*** will be slapped!
geez hooch...."IT" still gives me the shivers.....(the movie kinda spoils it...but the book is wickedly scary)

another book that got to me (also read before the movie).."the Excorcist":-!

2000th post? congrats man

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My favorite book (or rather books) is the Baroque Cycle, by Neal Stephenson (consisting of: Quicksilver, Confusion, and System of the World, + Cryptonomicon). Fantastic geek-fest stuff! Not to everyone's taste, but Stephenson just happens to be interested in exactly the same subjects as me, so all his digressions are great fun. I'm re-reading them on my PDA at the moment.

Interesting to see Iain M. Banks appearing in this thread. I'm about a third of the way through Consider Phlebas. I'd been intending to get round to this series for donkeys years!

I'm also re-reading Donald Knuth's Concrete Mathematics, and The Art of Computer Programming. Knuth is simply brilliant. I even have a t-shirt.

Sjors, I do like a bit of the old quantum physics. Nothing like it for both expanding and destroying the mind. :)

The Hitchhikers series has always been a favorite of mine. In fact, I met my girlfriend because of it! I remember listening to the original radio series way back in the late 70s. I re-read the books every few years. And Douglas Adams has bought me a drink and a bowl of chips, bless 'im.

I've just finished P.G. Wodehouse's Leave it to Psmith. If you like Douglas Adams, you'll like Wodehouse. The style is very similar (as Adams himself freely admits), although the subject matter is very different!

Gawain, the Ron Paul book is on my Amazon wish list. I've read lots of his stuff in the past, and while I don't agree with everything he says, I do kinda like his attitude. As Heinlein might have said, Ron Paul would make a good neighbor. :-!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I was given a book when I was eleven, entitled The Complete Short Stories of H.G. Wells and it became my very favourite book throughout life, in fact I've read and re-read it so many times I've lost count. I've in fact worn out about fours versions myself and given away many more to other people.

Since that book I've become an avid reader of, mainly the classics but also a wide range of material. I love Dickens and if you haven't read A Christmas Carol and think you know it because you've seen a screen version, think again, it's a wonderful book to read as are most of his works. I actually lived for a great deal of my early life in the area in which he wrote about and lived in. I can retrace every step of books like Great Expectations as I lived in the villages to which he refers, out on the North Kent marshes.

I love authors as diverse as Dostoevsky, The Brontes and Bill Bryson, in fact give me a book and I'm happy and always love to discover an author new to me. Books! I love them :-! almost as much as watches :think: ... :-d

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi there, 77. How are those helo rides doing? :-d

You'll find I Am Legend very, very good. Don't expect the movie script, though. I Am Legend is actually a novella; you'll find other interesting stories in that book. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan, an author without whom "I wouldn't be here. He is much my father as Bessie Smith was Elvis Presley's mother" (Stephen King).

He has also an excellent book of short stories, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. TV and Movie fans surely will remember the classic The Twilight Zone story about a flying creature that attacks an airliner and can only be seen by a single, anguished, passenger. He was the author of that story. :-!
No more rides with the heli I´m afraid... :-( Maybe after the summer, and we have some plans on going up with the coastguard airplane too. b-)

Thanks for the tip on the books, I´ve also heard that the 'I am Legend' book differs much from the movie and I´m really looking forward to reading it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting choice Mr Row, It's a shame it got so panned by the snobs, although not as clever as it purported to be it was an excellent read! I prefer Demons and Angels though and also enjoyed Deception point and Digital Fortress very much!

Really looking forward to his next book, allegedly about the freemason called 'Solomon Key' but it appears to be on hold. However a similar title has just been released by another author if your interested: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solomons-Ke...3641556?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214163569&sr=8-5

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No more rides with the heli I´m afraid... :-( Maybe after the summer, and we have some plans on going up with the coastguard airplane too. b-)

Thanks for the tip on the books, I´ve also heard that the 'I am Legend' book differs much from the movie and I´m really looking forward to reading it.
I'm another one who wants to read 'I am Legend' after the slightly disappointing film!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts