WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part X)

189K views 3K replies 154 participants last post by  Fullers1845 
Oh man!! That's good!! I mean awful!!! Shortly after moving into our current house I noticed that a ground hog had dug under the foundation and taken up residence in the crawlspace!! A guy came and set a trap to capture him. You know what LOVES (and I mean ABSOLUTELY LOVES) apples? You guessed it! Skunks!! Pissed off trapped skunks under my house!! It was nausiating for months!!
I know it's cruel - but I laughed at this... Just the image of a hoard of angry, rampaging skunks in the crawl space under your house... I know it's cruel to laugh, but I just couldn't help it....

Elise? Exige?

Good British car that!
I thought Lotus was Korean now, don't Proton own them?

Ronda 715 quartz
but case fits eta 2824
Fits 10 years battery
40 mm
Black sandblasted
Screw-down crown
100 mt
Italian brand North Eagles (not mine sadly).
Mineral glass
What do you all think brothers?
This is a prototype from my watchmaker on some my ideas.

Suggestions?
Ideas?
How much you think you can pay a watch like this?
And...someone is gonna buy a watch like this?
Tell me so I can put that slacker at work

Sent from Italy with love!
Follow me on Instagram @lucababo
Black date wheel would be amazing in that!

EDIT - PICTURE FOR NEW PAGE:
Watch Analog watch Photograph Black Watch accessory

Sellita was the major subcontracted, outsourced assembler of ETA 2824 movements. Just think of ETA as the name brand & Sellita was the generic brand. Like drug companies. When ETA announced it would no longer provide unfinished movement kits, this threatened the survival of Sellita. The first Sellita movements after going out on their own were redesigned because they feared patent infringements but the re designed movements suffered issues. Since then, Sellita found out the patents on the ETA 2824 had expired, so now they produce an exact replica of a 2824 with the exception of an added 26th jewel to reduce friction on automatic winding but ETA has never had a problem with that so in the industry, the added 26th jewel is just considered a marketing device to help boost sellita's presence. There has been some talk of the quality of some of the parts but they do run just as well as the ETA. This is the chinese 2824 clone. Sellita although a swiss co. Uses china for manufacturing a lot of the parts. so the sellita SW200 is an exact replica of an ETA 2824 with the extra jewel. I think Sellita movements are fine now. They are using a tried & true design.
The soprod is a wonderful movement & the Soprod A10 is the alternative to a ETA 2892. I like the Soprod & hope they do well.
Here is a quick link on the subject but there is more info out there. Just use google.

MECHANICAL - Who will succeed ETA? | Europa Star Magazine
Thanks for this link Mark, very interesting! It got me to thinking so I started doing a bit of digging...

After some googling and reading, it looks like Sellita will take up the reigns as they already have the facilities in place to produce their own version of an ETA in large quantities... But, I think I agree with you, the Soprod looks like really good quality movement, the A10 is beautiful and also a full 1mm thinner than the ETA 2824-2 and at 3.6mm if you were also to remove the date complication, the reduction could contribute to a significantly thinner case - That is definitely OK in my books!

Here are some interesting reads I found if anyone else is interested...

Welcome to OWC Watches
Clone Wars: Sellita SW200 Vs. ETA 2824 | Watch Flipr
Japanese Miyota Targets Swiss ETA With Caliber 9000 Series Watch Movements | aBlogtoWatch
SWATCH THIS SPACE… | CWORLD

This is a bit longer, but also a good read if you're interested in the history of ETA...
A Brief History Of ETA: THE Swiss Watch Movement Maker | aBlogtoWatch

You only have to 'think' of a kiger and they appear.

Wonder what happens if you say 'kiger' three times while looking into a mirror??
Don't do it - you'll anger the Kiger-nator!!

Is this the BSHT ("Breitling Superocean Heritage Thread")?

No?

Are you sure? I mean, the names look awfully similar...

(PS - Damn, you guys don't screw around; these BSHT threads are coming faster than I can make up ways to poke fun at them.)
Best one yet Doc!

Time for some Gigandet love before I say goodbye! I've been thinking about moving this one on for a while now... As much as I love it, now I've owned a couple of 40mm autos and as I'm wearing the Proto-Kiger all the time, I just can't see myself wearing it any time soon... 42mm with 22mm lugs with a Miyota 8215 - Time for the watch box clearout, but before she goes, I put forward the Gigandet G2-002 as being one of the best bang for buck modern homages...
Watch Black Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory

Black Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory

Still life photography Fashion accessory Watch Photography Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

You post a pic of an atomic explosion and it means "have you got a Parnis incoming"? Maybe on your planet.
You sir have some serious background reading to do if you want to understand some of the 'in' jokes here...

A while back, near the beginning of part 9, goyoneuff posted this:
Explosion Sky Rock World Geological phenomenon

Then everyone noticed the clown face - clown cloud...

So now that picture (without text) is posted to represent in incoming purchase...

Watch Hawk 71 is well know for being a fan of Parnis watches... Now you know!

Welcome to planet BSHT!

Those are all genuine Milsubs. Oh my...
I call 'Daffy' on this picture!!

Quick review from me of the Davosa Ternos Ceramic

I bought this on Thursday in an Amazon Lightning Deal that knocked 36% off the RRP and made it impossible to resist. It arrived today and it's fair to say that I'm very happy with it. I tend to go back and forth on homage watches, but can't get away from loving the Submariner and, given that I can't afford one, there have rarely been occasions when I haven't had at least one Sub homage in my collection. The appeal of the Submariner style for me is partly it's classic good looks and partly the 40mm size which suits my small wrist well. From memory I've owned 2 Invicta 8926s, 3 Alpha Subs, an Orient Sub and a Marcello-C Nettuno. The Davosa is nicer than any of those.
The feature list is what you'd expect - 40mm case, solid end link oyster bracelet, unidirectional bezel, sapphire crystal and an ETA 2824 inside. What sets the Davosa apart is the feeling of quality and attention to detail that infuses every part of it.
The ceramic bezel is beautiful and catches the light in a really beguiling way - looked at straight on it's a kind of charcoal grey but from other angles it's the same inky black as the dial. That dial, by the way, is gorgeous: glossy and rich like the one on my Explorer, it draws the eye,especially when contrasted against the bezel. Whereas the ceramic changes colour depending on how the light hits it, the dial is only ever a deep midnight black. The printing is crisp and fairly subtle (although they have got "Swiss" on there twice just in case you forget) and the applied indices are perfectly sized. A 10x loupe reveals that the lume is a little unevenly applied, but to the naked eye it looks lovely. The hands are standard Mercedes ones as you'd expect, but are well proportioned and finished. The cyclops is SUPERB and makes the date pop out at you. Personally I like a date magnifier if it's well done, and this one is very well done, easily the best I've had. I know many dislike them, but on the Ternos I see this as a very visible example of the care that has been taken to deliver a quality piece.
The case and bracelet are solid and well finished. The quality of the machining on everything seems excellent - that gorgeous fat crown is a joy to use and the 120 click bezel is solid with no play at all, but easy to turn. Screwed bracelets always scare me after a dreadful experience resizing a Sinn, but the screws on the Ternos came out and went back in again without a single squeaky bum moment.
So far I don't think there is single thing I don't like about this watch, the only place it has still to prove itself is in the timekeeping department, which I will report back on at a later date.

IMG_2747.JPG by Olly Clarke, on Flickr
IMG_2748.JPG by Olly Clarke, on Flickr
Nice write-up, makes me want to check one out!

Huh. Which means it's an aftermarket dial, hence the inaccurate crown logo? (And now it's worth $$$$$$ precisely because of that.)
Yeah - does that make it an officially sanctioned homage - I think so!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.