WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Ladies,

Do you experience a "lost" feeling on watch collection forums? A quiet "ladies" section and many brand forums that don't fit a ladies interests? Vintage ladies watches are clearly a different scale from men's watches. Brand specific threads are often near exclusive to men's watches. Starting a thread on the brand thread for a ladies model...well....crickets. Or a polite "I don't know about the ladies watches". Ladies threads are very quiet, with every possible interest crammed into "ladies", or a place for men to get a female perspective on a watch purchase for the Mrs. It feels like a sandbox where the little ladies can occupy themselves. It can feel patronizing. I like looking at the men's watches too, and believe that the men have so many choices that I envy. I also envy the chat and participation rate.

So...noticing a problem (or maybe this is just me?) and not giving a solution is a lesson in futility, right? If this is a common issue and not just my perspective, what would help solve the problem? A female watch collectors site with a full spectrum of threads and interests? Are there even enough women who have this issue or collect watches? Invade the men's threads, and create mutiny while we chat about our X branded MOP dials with diamonds? Same brand, different conversations.

I don't have an answer. Would welcome perspectives. I would welcome ideas. Ladies, what are your collection interests? Am I missing another hang-out thread?

FYI - I am new here, but spent several years active on a different forum under a different name. At that time there were ladies who contributed. I dropped out of collecting for a while, and then went back - it was a ghost town on the ladies thread. I then found this forum.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi, Laura,

Again great thread and all well spotted. Unfortunately, Ladies' forum is kind of neglected. I believe it is due to less number of Ladies who participate. Automatically, it gets less interest.

I'm into watches for a quite a while, but mostly vintage, as I got them from my parents; I don't know much about contemporary watches, but I follow different threads here, I notice them, and I always learn.

We must admit that people who have greatest knowledge in watches, are mostly men. They know less about Ladies' watches, but still they can provide answer, if we ask them.
This is why I spend much time in Vintage & Pocket watches forum, I really enjoy what I can see and learn there.

I hope each one of you feels welcomed, but often, expressing your opinion about something can show the unpleasant side of some members.

Another thing I have noticed, there is some kind of 'struggle', for a Lady to prove herself here, to search for her own space here, to let everyone know that we have equal rights to participate and contribute. Majority of men are more than nice and they support the growth of female members. However, my experiences weren't always the best.

You may ask why I didn't always have the best experiences; it's because I like to express my opinion as it is, no matter if it's opposed to all. This can lead others to describe you as a 'troll', and to survive consequences in a form of unpleasant treatment and language. I like diversity, and I have never abused the fact that I'm a minority here, and therefore expected some kind of 'better' treatment . On a contrary. But, people have to be aware that we are different, we think different, we see things differently. Diversity should be welcomed, keeping the manners and nice behaviour.

Laura, I think there actually aren't many solutions to what you pointed out; the best would be to find the way to attract more Ladies, and get more activity in this forum. The remaining option is to take part in all the other forums where you can find something that can interest you, including Ladies' watch forum. This is the truth we must face, because women are much less into watches than men.
We can only hope that more Ladies will join us here in the future. :)

Regards,

Mimi

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hi Laura, there’s definitely truth to what you say but from my experience women really are not into forums like men are so there’s just not a lot of us here. Forums in general just don’t get the same feedback these days as they did in the past. If you’re looking for more female members I would suggest looking into one of the Facebook groups such as UGWC where there are several active female members such as myself that post quite frequently.

I don’t know what the answer you might be looking for is. I have an understanding that being a female, I’m a minority with this hobby and I’m ok with that. I converse mostly with men on a daily basis about watches through FB or Instagram and again, it doesn’t really bother me. I can refer you to some FB groups that have quite a few female members but even with those groups, a lot of the females are still not quite as active as the guys.

I’ve had mostly great dealings here with all of the members I’ve come to talk to. I’ve bought and sold countless times to guy members here and they’ve all been lovely to deal with. I personally don’t have a huge interest myself with ladies watches, as most of my collection are men’s watches I guess. Or at least not marketed to ladies anyway. I buy what fits my wrist and my style and most ladies watches, besides vintage, are too bedazzled for me anyway.

I hope I’m not coming across as too blunt but I just think there’s just not enough of us gals on here to start a new forum for ladies unfortunately. I think your best bet would be on social media as I find there’s more people in general that participate there than here.

All the best,
Kat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've been on this forum for about ten years, incl. several as a lurker before joining. I haven't found any other forums that seriously discuss women's watches like this one does...most others are more focused on watches as fashion accessories. (I don't do FB or IG so I can't comment on those.)

When I came here, there were a few women who were really enthusiastic and kept the forum going solely by their participation. Several had post counts well into the thousands. After a few years, they disappeared, but the new participation rate since then has never equaled the attrition rate. We seem to get a lot of new members who come to ask a question, then never return after that questione is answered.

There just isn't a critical mass of members here to have a really active Ladies forum. Unless there's a way for this forum to attract (and retain) new members, I don't think things are going to change much. I don't think we could start a new forum limited to ladies' watches (or watches worn by women) and expect it to flourish.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I mostly hang out in the Affordable forum. There's a breadth in the style and brands discussed and folks are pretty easygoing. As much as I like knowing that there are other women collectors out there, I feel more of a connection with people whose collections mirror mine. My collection is eclectic to say the least, with only one watch that's even marketed as a ladies' model. I go where the microbrands are, where quirky Russian watches are discussed, and where modders are welcome because that represents my interests.

Around the other forums, I do get a little frustrated that 1) you're assumed to be male unless otherwise stated and 2) any thread asking for recommendations for a women's mechanical watch will immediately be met with "Are you sure she wants mechanical? Women prefer quartz." But I work in IT and am a hobby woodworker, so hanging out in mostly male environments with low-key sexism is status quo. I don't see a solution here, other than persistence. Given the number of threads asking for recommendations for a wife/girlfriend, I'm inclined to believe that the men here are passionate enough about watches to want to learn what's available for women but have been too focused on their own collections to look around. So yeah, pop into any thread with your MOP and diamond dial and be confident that you do belong.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mimi - thank you for your reply. First, I have felt VERY welcomed in the threads, the forums, and especially here with the ladies.
Guess my frustration was pretty evident. Ladies watches are great, but they are as alike as all the men's watches from each forum catagory. I left out the part of how thankful I am this resource is here.

"I'm a minority here, and therefore expected some kind of 'better' treatment. On a contrary. But, people have to be aware that we are different, we think different, we see things differently. Diversity should be welcomed, keeping the manners and nice behaviour. " Boy, you can say THAT again :) I think we are a little unusual in the population. I am probably too sensitive on the subject. I worked in hardware stores for years. Had so many calls that said "let me talk to one of the men". I even had a lady throw L brackets at me one day because she wanted a man to serve her. My interst in watches are based in admiration for the mechanical as much as the design and beauty and utility.

My next watch trick I hope to perform - I want to learn to service my own watches. They say only a fool or a watchmaker should take the back off a watch. We'll see how this works out. I could be a fool. I have a few older movements around the house.

I agree with you, let's hope for more ladies.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kat,

Thank you. I just applied to join UGWC. That may help with the watch bug. Looks like a nice group and I have watched some of his videos.

I appreciate your take on the female collector challenges. I agree, there are not enough of us to populate an active forum. And so many women collect for different reasons. I appreciate your thoughts, Kat. Very glad to know why you're here and what your interested in collecting.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My next watch trick I hope to perform - I want to learn to service my own watches. They say only a fool or a watchmaker should take the back off a watch. We'll see how this works out. I could be a fool. I have a few older movements around the house.
My parents gave me my first watch when I was about eight. After I'd had it for 3 days, I decided I just had to know how it worked and took it apart, without being able to put it back together, of course. That experience made me very wary, but after realizing that the people changing my batteries mostly knew less than I could learn in 10 mins of googling and had far less concern for my watches than I did, I decided I could change my own batteries and adjust bracelets, at least in my inexpensive watches.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi KCZ,

You make a great point about the number of ladies on a watch forum. Unless something changes, like a movie about a lady watchmaker - I don't see them/us show up en masse and ready to talk watches. Hey - you know, that would make a good movie. Let me just throw this thread here: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/famous-female-watchmakers-847557.html

I enjoy your posts very much. You have a knack of finding great options for the folks who come to the page looking for suggestions. I like to help/shop for watches too. The beginning post mentioned men showing up looking for help, like it was a bad thing. It's fun to help out. It was more a refrence to the posts by men for women and women for women is running about 50/50.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mimi - thank you for your reply. First, I have felt VERY welcomed in the threads, the forums, and especially here with the ladies.
Guess my frustration was pretty evident. Ladies watches are great, but they are as alike as all the men's watches from each forum catagory. I left out the part of how thankful I am this resource is here.

"I'm a minority here, and therefore expected some kind of 'better' treatment. On a contrary. But, people have to be aware that we are different, we think different, we see things differently. Diversity should be welcomed, keeping the manners and nice behaviour. " Boy, you can say THAT again :) I think we are a little unusual in the population. I am probably too sensitive on the subject. I worked in hardware stores for years. Had so many calls that said "let me talk to one of the men". I even had a lady throw L brackets at me one day because she wanted a man to serve her. My interst in watches are based in admiration for the mechanical as much as the design and beauty and utility.

I agree with you, let's hope for more ladies.
Hi Laura,

Sorry if my previous post 'breathed' with frustration, it all comes with the 'struggle' I was mentioning, in trying to get the point, to equally take part.
Then sometimes a tolerant person doesn't always seem so tolerant, if you try to defend your views. The consequences are unpleasant experiences.
Another of my obstacles is the language, English isn't my native, but I try to express the best I can.
Communities here differ.
I have only nicest words for all the members in Vintage & Pocket watches forum.

I like that you mentioned sensitivity, it's something that is so present is us, but so little understood and so 'omitted'.

The struggle should always exist; insist on what you want to know, to learn, to show, to express. It may sound harsh, 'struggle', but this is what the reality is, in men's environment.

Servicing your own watches - great idea! For years I've been thinking about watchmaking, as I'm impressed with watch movements. But this is tough work, requires years of learning and many broken watches. :-s
I wish I had more time to dedicate to it...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mostly hang out in the Affordable forum. There's a breadth in the style and brands discussed and folks are pretty easygoing. As much as I like knowing that there are other women collectors out there, I feel more of a connection with people whose collections mirror mine. My collection is eclectic to say the least, with only one watch that's even marketed as a ladies' model. I go where the microbrands are, where quirky Russian watches are discussed, and where modders are welcome because that represents my interests.

Around the other forums, I do get a little frustrated that 1) you're assumed to be male unless otherwise stated and 2) any thread asking for recommendations for a women's mechanical watch will immediately be met with "Are you sure she wants mechanical? Women prefer quartz." But I work in IT and am a hobby woodworker, so hanging out in mostly male environments with low-key sexism is status quo. I don't see a solution here, other than persistence. Given the number of threads asking for recommendations for a wife/girlfriend, I'm inclined to believe that the men here are passionate enough about watches to want to learn what's available for women but have been too focused on their own collections to look around. So yeah, pop into any thread with your MOP and diamond dial and be confident that you do belong.
Hi Sussa, Sorry it took me so long to respond. I like the Affordable Fourm too. Very busy and fun group. I just bought a Timex Fairfied after seeing it in a post. "Are you sure she wants mechanical? Women prefer quartz." HA! That one always gets me, too. I'm IT too. Like playing with Excel formulas. I have dropped into a thread or two and dropped my watches on the brand threads :) Laughed in a thread that asked what the smallest watch you wear. Showed up with a 16mm Titus. Oh well, I amuse myself.

I do love that them men want to share their passion with their ladies and want them to be happy. I support that behavior! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now you ladies have gotten me interested. My parents have been deceased almost 20 years now, but my sister and I kept their house over in NE Louisiana, where we use for some small family gatherings and weekend getaways, I live in E. Texas and Sis over in W. Miss., and my son in Jackson, Miss, so it makes for a convenient meeting place. If I remember correctly one or two of mom's old watches are still in a dresser in the bedroom, so next time over I may pick them up and see if they still run and will get them serviced. The are of the small shape that ladies wore back in the 40's if I remember correctly, probably either Bulova or Elgin.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the best way to go if you're interested in watches, especially mechanical ones, is to find a good watch repair guy and get to know him. These people are usually watch enthusiasts, and would appreciate female's interest in 'serious' watches, not a cheapy 'fashion' type, because there are very few female watch collectors, as it was correctly stated earlier. Not all of them like to chat but some do, and they can give you recommendations, advice, and answer all your questions. When I started collecting watches, first I educated myself on the internet, so I wouldn't sound totally clueless, and then I found a great local watch repair guy who services them, change batteries, etc. You can read a lot on the internet on a history of watchmaking, how watches are made, how to spot fakes, your favorite brand, etc. But before that you'll need to decide for yourself what kind of watches you want to collect, and what is the purpose of your collecting, like is it to have watches with different functions? for different occasions? in different colors to match your outfits? or just to admire them in a jewelry box and rarely wear them? Or is it a sentimental value, like watches my parents had when I was a child? or whatever... And then there are also always questions of budget and time, because vintage mechanical watches will need more care than quartz ones that can get expensive really fast.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the best way to go if you're interested in watches, especially mechanical ones, is to find a good watch repair guy and get to know him. These people are usually watch enthusiasts, and would appreciate female's interest in 'serious' watches, not a cheapy 'fashion' type, because there are very few female watch collectors, as it was correctly stated earlier. Not all of them like to chat but some do, and they can give you recommendations, advice, and answer all your questions. When I started collecting watches, first I educated myself on the internet, so I wouldn't sound totally clueless, and then I found a great local watch repair guy who services them, change batteries, etc. You can read a lot on the internet on a history of watchmaking, how watches are made, how to spot fakes, your favorite brand, etc. But before that you'll need to decide for yourself what kind of watches you want to collect, and what is the purpose of your collecting, like is it to have watches with different functions? for different occasions? in different colors to match your outfits? or just to admire them in a jewelry box and rarely wear them? Or is it a sentimental value, like watches my parents had when I was a child? or whatever... And then there are also always questions of budget and time, because vintage mechanical watches will need more care than quartz ones that can get expensive really fast.
My collection. All automatic or mechanical. Does not include a man's mid century Bucherer I have slated to go to the shop for a refurb. It's exciting! Only one of these. In the box: 2 Rados, 1 Tissot, 1 Fossil, Waltham, Hamilton, Boulova, Titus, Erima, Solar. I have been collecting for 15 years.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool! I love Rado second from the right in the bottom row, they have this unmistakable case.
And first from the left in the bottom row looks like Russian Chaika.
Yes! You called it. A Russian Chaika watch. I’m impressed. It’s not the most dependable watch, but it runs. The value keeps me from sending it in for repair.

I love that gold Rado. It makes me happy every time I wear it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have many Russian watches. I love them, they are very well made and beautiful, but not very practical being mechanical. I prefer quartz for everyday wear.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Great collection! :-!

Laura, I'm thinking that this thread can turn into some kind of our 'daily chat', to keep it active, and write our experiences and thoughts about watches.
I already see it got people interested! We will have more things to talk about, as other people keep joining. :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Now you ladies have gotten me interested. My parents have been deceased almost 20 years now, but my sister and I kept their house over in NE Louisiana, where we use for some small family gatherings and weekend getaways, I live in E. Texas and Sis over in W. Miss., and my son in Jackson, Miss, so it makes for a convenient meeting place. If I remember correctly one or two of mom's old watches are still in a dresser in the bedroom, so next time over I may pick them up and see if they still run and will get them serviced. The are of the small shape that ladies wore back in the 40's if I remember correctly, probably either Bulova or Elgin.
Hi!

We would be happy to see them, if you find the opportunity to post pictures of them. ;-)

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great collection! :-!

Laura, I'm thinking that this thread can turn into some kind of our 'daily chat', to keep it active, and write our experiences and thoughts about watches.
I already see it got people interested! We will have more things to talk about, as other people keep joining. :)
Let's do a daily chat...that's a good idea.

Also a collection thread: Show me your collection. I think we can show that a ladies collection might look like. Now I'm curious too!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts