WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
All "Chronomasters" are "The Citizen" but not all The Citizen is Chronomasters, what defines a Chronomaster? I´m thinkin today. I am aware of the history with "The Citizen" name back in 1995 and the start of "Chronomaster" being on the dial from around 2002. But now we have the AQ4000-xx and some of the A010 without the Chronomaster text on the dial, not to mention the cal 0100 models. Is there som special tuning, just random, export, does any one know?

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
All "Chronomasters" are "The Citizen" but not all The Citizen is Chronomasters, what defines a Chronomaster? I´m thinkin today. I am aware of the history with "The Citizen" name back in 1995 and the start of "Chronomaster" being on the dial from around 2002. But now we have the AQ4000-xx and some of the A010 without the Chronomaster text on the dial, not to mention the cal 0.100 models. Is there som special tuning, just random, export, does any one know?
Yeah, that's a valid question!
(seeing as mine is a newish watch, and it isn't a Chronomaster ;-) )

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
From looking at the lineup on citizen.jp...

ALL recent A060 releases (AQ4xxx) have been labeled as Chronomaster. The first issues, the AQ4000 models, do not. The A010's are, I believe, all from the same time frame...the initial intro. None of them have Chronomaster.

The complementary question is, why do some get the eagle mark, and others don't?

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
The eagle is for Limited Editions, so that was easier to answer ;)
That looks to be true; I'm not sure it's 100% consistent tho. Thing is, that's not what it used to mean, not per se.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You asked "why do some get the eagle mark, and others don't?" and the answer is that the LE´s get it. The meaning of the eagle is a nother question, per se. ;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recieved a answer from Citizen regarding the question.

Thank you for your email. This is CITIZEN Customer Support headquarters for overseas markets.

Yes, you are correct that not all the watches equips with Caliber A060 has the "Chronomaster" mark on its dials. Actually, only the watches made of titanium and equips with Caliber A060 would have the "Chronomaster" mark.

And as a symbol of confidence and pride in Citizen's watchmaking "Eagle mark" is engraved which shows the eagle is extending its feather. Only The CITIZEN is now allowed to hold the Eagle Mark. The characters of the Eagle mark and Chronomaster are the same as those days. It is a proof of passion and pursuit of high precision, a symbol of confidence and pride. In the 1960s, there was a movement developed by combining Citizen's technical capabilities. It is the first mechanical watch that Citizen has passed the "Swiss Chronometer Excellence Class". The model with the movement was named "Citizen Chronomaster"

Please feel free to reply directly to this email and ask or tell us anything else, we are always glad to assist you!

We hope you can continue to support CITIZEN watch.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
NO. That statement is FALSE.

The 2 new sports models...AQ4054 (the DLC bezel, black dial LE beauty) and the AQ4050 (blue dial LE) are both stainless, and both marked Chronomaster.

I think my position is closer: all new A060 releases are Chronomaster.

Oh and I think Citizen just reorganized their The Citizen page, so there's a 4th "tab" for Limited Editions.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The 2 new sports models...AQ4054 (the DLC bezel, black dial LE beauty) and the AQ4050 (blue dial LE) are both stainless, and both marked Chronomaster.

Oh and I think Citizen just reorganized their The Citizen page, so there's a 4th "tab" for Limited Editions.
Yes, I also notised that! When you say "all new A060" and citizen claimed "all new ti models with A060", have you notised any new models exept the new sports models in steel? I mean, they are all ti aren´t they?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Citizen marketing is baffling.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes, I also notised that! When you say "all new A060" and citizen claimed "all new ti models with A060", have you notised any new models exept the new sports models in steel? I mean, they are all ti aren´t they?
AB9000 is an all stainless chronomaster with the A060 movement. It says chronomaster on the dial.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
AB9000 is an all stainless chronomaster with the A060 movement. It says chronomaster on the dial.
Look again. The AB9000 series is the older A660. These are NOT Eco Drive, BTW.

From Barbababa:

Far as I can tell from the web site, that's correct. Only the sports models are steel.

But that's enough to invalidate the assertion that "Chronomaster means titanium."

Reactions: Barbababa

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Look again. The AB9000 series is the older A660. These are NOT Eco Drive, BTW.

From Barbababa:

Far as I can tell from the web site, that's correct. Only the sports models are steel.

But that's enough to invalidate the assertion that "Chronomaster means titanium."
Oops, my mistake. Seiya had it listed as Eco-Drive, and I guess I missed that it has the A660 movement.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Oops, my mistake. Seiya had it listed as Eco-Drive, and I guess I missed that it has the A660 movement.
Not a problem.

It's not 100%, I think, but with the unusual movements (GPS, HAQ) they've been consistent. At least recently. All A060's are AQ40xx; all A010's are AQ10xx. The A660's are AB90xx *now*; they also used the CTQ57 model numbers in the past. AFAIK those have all long since been discontinued...I suspect the AB9000's are the replacement. Those series tags have been more consistent than thinking "The Citizen" (which is awkward for searching) and "Chronomaster" which has been inconsistently applied.

Best source of current info is citizen.jp; it's in Japanese, of course, but Chrome (at least) makes translation trivial. Altho it tends to be a memory and resources hog...you don't want to leave the tab open.

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
288 Posts
I recieved a answer from Citizen regarding the question.

[...]

And as a symbol of confidence and pride in Citizen's watchmaking "Eagle mark" is engraved which shows the eagle is extending its feather. Only The CITIZEN is now allowed to hold the Eagle Mark. The characters of the Eagle mark and Chronomaster are the same as those days. It is a proof of passion and pursuit of high precision, a symbol of confidence and pride. [...]
I'd also like to point out that there are other models outside of The Citizen / Chronomaster lineups that feature the same eagle. Here, for example, is the Citizen Grand Classic NB0040-58A, courtesy of Arizona Fine Time:

small grand classic.jpg

Reactions: Barbababa

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice caseback :) I only posted the email I got from Citizen, and I also think it´s inconsistent. But the model you posted is not new? The claim the sent me was regarding to days models...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts