WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to think of Grand Seiko as the sleeper luxury brand, having bought everything from the spring drive Ti diver for $4,500, to the spring drive chronological for around ~ $5,000 (used). But the days when you could be a wide range of GS' for under $5K are gone, with Seiko moving even their Prospex line over the $5K mark.
I realized this was over when I had a meeting with a vendor and they were espousing how their entire office was obsessed with Grand Seikos. I would have never have had that conversation 3 years ago. Good for Seiko though in getting the brand out there into the mainstream.

So I started looking for other options. I've owned a number of chronometers in the past... I had a AQ-1000, AQ-1020, and recently an AQ-4030. But then I purchased a AQ-4020-03E (black dial, leather strap) for $2K and they solved most of the issues with the previous models I owned. The dial was subtle, unique, and always engaging to look at, the hands were sharp and well polished, it was just the right size and thickness, and so light it almost disappears from your wrist.

When they announced the limited edition line with the green and red dials, I was intrigued. I contacted Seiya to see if he could get a green dial version for me - and as usual he came through.
This is not really an in depth review, but just a post to share some photos of this amazing - under $3K - watch.
And for me - this Citizen line has firmly taken its place as the sleeper luxury brand.

Here it is next to the black dial version:
IMG_2347.png

In bright direct sunlight you can see the texture on the paper dial.
IMG_2348.png

And here's how the dial looks 99% of the time:
IMG_2340.png
IMG_2342.png
IMG_2344.png

IMG_2345.png

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this. I have two Chronomasters. They are amazing watches and under appreciated, at least here in the US. I've my eye on the red model and your pics make it seem the colors are not so intense (in your face?) then the marketing pics would suggest, which I think is a good thing. I'm also eyeing the SBGH259, the upcoming red dial GS high-beat. The size, weight, precision, and lack of service argue strongly for The Citizen not to mention price.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for posting this. I have two Chronomasters. They are amazing watches and under appreciated, at least here in the US. I've my eye on the red model and your pics make it seem the colors are not so intense (in your face?) then the marketing pics would suggest, which I think is a good thing. I'm also eyeing the SBGH259, the upcoming red dial GS high-beat. The size, weight, precision, and lack of service argue strongly for The Citizen not to mention price.
Oh I’ve been eyeing the red one as well!
And yea chronomasters are what Grand Seiko was maybe five years ago - at least here in the US.

The GS looks good too but at almost double the price right?
That’s a tough choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree, these high end Citizens look like they're going to take the place of (entry level quartz) GS in the coming years. My only reservation about these Citizens is the dearth of information about the movement. I'd buy a GS 9F without blinking, but if it's just a regular old eco drive in these chronomasters...

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
I kind of feel like GS's prices are being exaggerated. Get on Seiya. Entry level sbgx 9f models can be purchased for $1,700. Other sbgv models for around $2,000...the same price as these Chronomasters. Yes, the 9f GMT's and divers are over $3,000, but Citizen doesn't even produce a comparable high end GMT or diver. As for the future, who knows. The strategy does seem to be to push up market, but for now prices aren't too outrageous (relatively speaking of course).
Amyway, nice watch! Congrats!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That's a beauty! I had a GS 9F once and the seconds hand hit the markers every second. Does the Citizen as well?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I kind of feel like GS's prices are being exaggerated. Get on Seiya. Entry level sbgx 9f models can be purchased for $1,700. Other sbgv models for around $2,000...the same price as these Chronomasters. Yes, the 9f GMT's and divers are over $3,000, but Citizen doesn't even produce a comparable high end GMT or diver. As for the future, who knows. The strategy does seem to be to push up market, but for now prices aren't too outrageous (relatively speaking of course).
Amyway, nice watch! Congrats!
I don´t think The Citizen line will add divers or GMT to the line up, they already have Exceed and Attesa for that. And I hope they don´t, I like the line they have now :)

·
Premium Member
32,671 Posts
Beautiful and a great alternative to the increasing overpriced GS's IMHO.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, these high end Citizens look like they're going to take the place of (entry level quartz) GS in the coming years. My only reservation about these Citizens is the dearth of information about the movement. I'd buy a GS 9F without blinking, but if it's just a regular old eco drive in these chronomasters...
No these aren’t regular eco drive movements. They’re HAQ movements accurate to 5 spy which is better than GS.
They’ve been around for a while with the citizen line and the nice part is you don’t need a battery change every few years.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a beauty! I had a GS 9F once and the seconds hand hit the markers every second. Does the Citizen as well?
Yes mine does on both the green and black versions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
some serious undertones of seiko SARB with these guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beautiful and a great alternative to the increasing overpriced GS's IMHO.
I don't get that at all. I've been following GS quartz and Spring Drive prices for five years now, and they haven't changed a lick.

Entry for 1700 Euro, slightly more elaborate for 2200, 44GS shaped for around 3000. Always been like that. Same for the Snowflake and the 231 hand crank. They remain 5K respectively 3.8K here.

Where do you get the notion that GS is becoming over-priced?

Don't get me wrong, i have two GS 9f models and a Chronomaster washi, so i love them all. But i paid more for the citizen than for either of the GS, and neither are the most basic model.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The red dial one is nice. These really do seem like an upscale Seiko or a downscale Grand Seiko. The one thing you get with the Grand Seiko is the case finishing. It's hard to say one way or the other about that with these.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts