WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** FIRST let me say I am NOT endorsing this technique. Always have any work done on your expensive toys performed by a competent watch maker or jeweler. ***

Now that the formalities are out of the way, I don't mind saying this is an incredibly simple process with low risk of failure and excellent results. In less than half an hour I used the process documented below to apply a brushed finish to the "flat" side of my Omega mesh and, at the request of another user, decided to share it here.

Step 1 - Acquire a quality spring bar tool and practice on less expensive watches before attempting to remove or change your own straps or bracelets. I use a Bergeon 6767, but there are many nice tools on the market. Be sure yours has both a forked tip and a flat tipped pin. You'll see in the pictures how to use them. Now for some pics of the tool...

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Step 2 - Remove the mesh from the watch. The first three pictures show the shiny mesh attached to my 2254.50. The next picture shows hows to compress the spring bar to remove the mesh, and the final picture shows a naked 2254.50.

05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg

Step 3 - Pick the side to brush. Omega meshes have a "flat" side and a "rounded" side, or at least one side that is flatter than the other. Be sure you can spot the difference before proceeding, so you can be consistent with each piece while you're brushing. I chose to brush the flatter side because I think it looks more toolish, and the rounded side seems dressier to me. Only brushing one side allows you to flip between shiny or satin, depending on your mood and dress.

10.jpg
11.jpg

Step 4 - Disassemble the mesh. Use the flat pin end of the tool to remove any spring bars you find on the mesh and carefully separate all the pieces. The last of these three pictures provides a good visualization of how everything fits together to form the bracelet.

12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

Step 5 - Hold 'er steady! It's a good idea to run a loop of string through the end links so you can keep your fingers out of the way while brushing. I used a bit of my wife's green plant tie and it worked great.

15.jpg
16.jpg

Step 6 - Brush the mesh. Drag strips of a green scouring pad IN ONE DIRECTION along the length of the mesh. Keep going until you obtain the desired results. MAKE SURE YOU'RE BRUSHING THE SIDE YOU CHOSE EARLIER. Repeat this step for all pieces.

17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

Step 7 - Inspect the final product. The following pictures compare a brushed piece (left) with a polished piece (right). The effect is more pronounced in person, but the pics should show how the brushing really brings out the flat surfaces. Now is a great time to decide if you're happy or if you need to do a bit more work.

21.jpg
22.jpg

Step 8 - Reassemble and enjoy! On a final note, spend a few minutes rubbing the newly brushed surfaces with your hands. Transferring a little body oil to the mesh gives it a satiny sheen and removes any roughness you may feel.

23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're welcome. It was a rare moment of industry for me. :)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Nicely done.

Reactions: cptdean

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks cptdean, an excellent "how to".

I refurbished the bracelet on my SMP a while ago, though without many pictures and certainly no write up.

This post has now made me even more determined to get an original mesh bracelet. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this up and as far as the results go, I think it looks great !
Thanks again !

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks cptdean for the great idea and post. I never thought of brushing my mesh, and the idea of a bit less bling was appealing. So, I brushed one of my omega meshes today on the flat side and put it on my 2531. Nice improvement.:-! I polished the rounded side with a cape cod while I was at it, so now it's a 2 in 1, easy enough to flip if I ever want shiny. b-)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fanastic post! Very inventive and helpful.
Thank you for the compliment, but I didn't actually invent anything. I learned about using green pads for brushing from helpful people in forums, and decided we could all use a few more pictures of the process. :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks to cptdean I also did mine today. Took 10 minutes total and I love the look. I wore it this morning before brushing it and a co-worker commented how he liked the watch and the mesh band. That hasn't happened to me in quite some time.

So now I can dress it down with the brushed side and dress up with the polished side.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
never used those scotch brite pads for metal work.

When I fix brushed finishes on metal, I make up a set of small sanding blocks with various grits of sand/polishing/finishing paper/pads.
Don't have a before picture but I re-finished the bracelet on this one:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I wore my 2531 on it's newly brushed mesh to work today and I've got to say, the duller satin finish is a much nicer look, at least to my eyes. Blingy goes well with something like a 2255 and its polished bezel but for a 2531 or other SMP's with colored bezel inserts, I think this is how the mesh should have come from Omega. I think you may have started a trend here cptdean.:-!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts