WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have found 3 different variations of Vostok dials for the Russian Space Forces - there's a modern one currently in use, but here are pics of a couple of the older ones. I have seen these in different models of Vostok Komandirskie, and also Amphibia. Does anyone know please if these dials were used throughout the various different Vostok models available at the time that these dials were produced?

Similarly , I have seen the Desert Shield dial used in various Komandirskie, Generalskie and Amphibia - do we know if this dial was used throughout the various models or are we talking frankens? Were the Desert Shield watches that were given to the American forces involved in this conflict given in just the one model or various models, do we know please?

As always I would be very grateful for any insights you are generous enough to share…

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Many thanks indeed for those links - my google searches certainly weren't turning some of those threads up, while there are some I have read - yours are better key words I think. Certainly answers some of my questions about the Desert Shield watches. They seem to have been produced in most models of watches right across the board. And yes, they were given to US service personnel who took part in the conflict:

But these threads still don't answer the question of which models were given to the US forces - was it just one model or a mixture of the ones that were produced by Vostok. I think this question still remains unanswered - unless I am missing something?

There's lots of info on the second of my pics of the Space Forces watches, which represents the dial and watch model that went into space, however little is revealed about the first example I show, with the BKC inscription at the bottom of the watch. Unless I'm missing something…

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
The correct models of watch for the following Vostok Dials: Russian Space For...

Hi Geoff. If you do a google search with Vostok and ВКС using Cyrillic characters you might turn up some more. Google translate is your friend :)
This method helped me find the background to my СГАЧ watch (Samara State Aerospace University)
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/flying-sickles-zim-story-785999.html

and also this one, which I've not previously posted - 50 years of the Mil helicopter factory (now Kazan helicopters) кнпп вертолеты ми:
http://www.helic-mi.ru/index.php?ln=en
Check out the logo - same place!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: The correct models of watch for the following Vostok Dials: Russian Space For...

And I should have said - what incredibly interesting watches too!!! I absolutely love these rare commemorative/presentation watches. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Thanks Geoff!
I love seeing people's commemorative dials, I've learnt so much from this forum, and trying to puzzle out what's on my own watches
Looking forward to see what you turn up - good luck!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What an excellent collection of Desert Shield's Comrade mp3rme - superb! On the Juniors, the hands look slightly different. Could it be that the jaws within which the crowns sit are slightly different too?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I have several Desert Shield watches in different configurations.

Were these really "given" to soldiers. I assumed these were interesting tourist watches like the "zakaz" watches.
Well, the point is, there were genuine Zakaz from the military Voentorg shop, and there are fake Zakaz from the tourist markets...

Reactions: Geoff Adams

·
Registered
259 Posts
Happy new year.

I have been looking for a new Vostok Desert Shield for a while, and have only been able to find the 'junior' sized.

I have given up finding a new 'full size' and been searching for a used example.
Then i came across this Komandirskie VREMIR on ebay.de (Germany) and therefore NO additional taxes and i bought for reasonable 24,50 €.

I belive VREMIR was a trademark owned by TimePeace Russian Watches, Inc. in Beverly Farms, MA, 01915.

http://www.trademarkia.com/vremir-74132482.htm

Here is the pictures from the seller.

It looks like the hands have been replaced, or are they special for VREMIR ?

If the hands are not original, they will be replaced by a set of black Komandirskie hands.

A guess in what year it has been produced?

If it turns out to be a total franken i am still happy :)

Happy new year.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The correct models of watch for the following Vostok Dials: Russian Space For...

To answer a question, I have never heard of anyone being "given" a Desert Shield or later "Desert Shield-Desert Storm" watch who was in the war. I know this first hand because I served in Saudi Arabia, Iraq & Kuwait from December 1990 through May 1991 in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I never heard anything about them until I joined here. :)

The one with the gold hands is not a variation I have seen. They aren't correct for any of the models I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Re: The correct models of watch for the following Vostok Dials: Russian Space For...

I also looked at this watch, looks like there could have been some tinkering going on, as well as the hands the movement shows 2409 when it should be 2414 (date register movement) the cover plate may have been changed, Vremir were an agent for exporting watches?

Either way its a great watch at a nice price.

Regards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.