WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It showed up right on time, a really nice cow! It is an impressive piece, sorry for my poor attempts at photography.

Now the problem. I got the watch last Thursday from an AD across the country. The band is a monster and needed adjusting. I bring it to the local jeweler who I have been using for years for batteries, a Swiss Army watch, kids jewelry and other adjustments. He's done some for free.

That was Saturday and all was well, so I thought. Today at work I notice the back has a lot of scratches, at least 6 or 7. The scratches on the side, next to the skier, run for almost the entire length of the case, the ones in the middle stop at the indentation for the skier.

I can't swear that the jeweler did this. I am pretty confident I inspected this watch very closely upon arrival and it was perfect. You can see in the first picture the wrapping the watch came in, the band also had the blue stuff stuck to it. I have several other watches, some for years, none are scratched like this.

So, let me ask this. When a jeweler adjusts a band, does he put it in some kind of vice that could cause this damage? At this point it is what it is, the watch is a keeper. If I wanted to spring for some bucks, what's the expense to replace the back, if I so decide?

Still lovin' this Ball!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice white "cow" you have there. Congrats!

I can't answer your question directly, but when I had mine (black cow) adjusted, no scratches were found. I did it at the AD that I purchased the watch.

Just mind you that the "cow" can be get scratched very easily and very noticable. I believe it is due to the polished titanium.

·
Banned
1,600 Posts
Congrats CB... sorry to hear about the scratches. I checked the back of mine again and didnt see anything. I have had other watches scratched up by a jeweler but never during sizing, only when changing out the bracelet... so I feel for ya, but youre right, the wmc is a keeper... |>

·
Registered
367 Posts
Cbar, congrats on yr white cow... excellent choice! :-! Sorry to hear about the scratches. Both my Ball watches were sized by different ADs and neither of them has scratched my watch in the process. Are you positive that the watch was completely flawless when it was delivered. The wrapping may cover some fine scratches if you do not scrutinise it carefully. The instrument for securing the watch for adjustments is made of rubber (or something similar) which should not scratch the watch. Do you remember how your local jeweler sized your white cow? Perhaps you should go back to him to clarify. Failing which, you may like to contact yr local AD & make arrangements to replace the back.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi CBar,

Congrats on the arrival of your Mad Cow! :-!

But I'm sorry to hear about the scratches on your caseback. The caseback is made of titanium(I believe) which does scratch more easily than stainless steel. It's possible that your watchmaker may have used some kind of clamp to hold down the case to make it easier to work with the bracelet links. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you inspected your watch completely when you first got it...so there's no way of knowing, definitively, whether the scratches were there before or not.

If the scratches are superficial and on the polished outer rim of the caseback, you should be able to rub them out with a Cape Cod cloth. But if the scratches are on the unpolished engraved area, where the image of "Mad Cow" John Hembel is situated, then you might not be able to "fix" it...although I've heard of some pretty good success stories, using an ink eraser on unpolished ti cases.

I'm glad that you're still jazzed about your Mad Cow. Imho, it's an incredible watch, and a definite keeper for me, too! :-!

Good luck! ;-)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Congrats on your new watch!

I'm very particular about my watches as they leave the dealer. I've taken to inspecting them under a loupe after buying a rolex sub in Mexico and finding a slight flaw in one the lume markers...

But I find w/ most things as time goes by things don't bother me as much, especially scratches unless they are on the bezel - they certainly don't bother me in places where I can't see them on my wrist.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Sorry to hear your watch got scratched up and I personally would find it hard to believe it left the factory like that. Did you perhaps get a "shop worn" watch from the AD??? You might want to ask the AD if this was the case. Experience has also taught me to choose carefully who I let touch my watches for servicing. There are plenty of "bozos" out there with tools who have no idea what they are doing or no appreciation for fine watches and titanium. Sizing Ball watch bracelets is very easy and can be done at home with a small screwdriver. A good thing to learn to do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats from another recent White Cow owner. :)

Sorry about the scratches (mine has a few on the back as well), hopefully they won't prevent you from enjoying such a great watch!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have no idea what a jeweler would be doing to scratch the caseback while resizing the bracelet except being very careless. The Mad Cow bracelet is very easy to work with because everything is screwed together. You just need a precision screwdriver, such as a typical eyeglasses screwdriver, to unscrew a pin, remove the needed links, and screw in a pin again. There is no hammering out a pin with a punch like in the less expensive bracelets. I resized my own bracelet in a matter of 5 minutes.

Do you suppose the jeweler was curious enough to open the case to check out the movement? Maybe slipped with the caseback wrench?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Congrats on the White Cow,and Welcome to the Club :-d Wow that stinks about the scratch:-| I would have been Out of my mindo| I had a battery done on one of my Invictas (no biggy on a $60 watch ?)and it was scratched,i made them buff it! I wouldnt think that the scratch was on it from Ball:think: Anyway Good Luck and Enjoy

·
Registered
76 Posts
It showed up right on time, a really nice cow! It is an impressive piece, sorry for my poor attempts at photography.

Now the problem. I got the watch last Thursday from an AD across the country. The band is a monster and needed adjusting. I bring it to the local jeweler who I have been using for years for batteries, a Swiss Army watch, kids jewelry and other adjustments. He's done some for free.

That was Saturday and all was well, so I thought. Today at work I notice the back has a lot of scratches, at least 6 or 7. The scratches on the side, next to the skier, run for almost the entire length of the case, the ones in the middle stop at the indentation for the skier.

I can't swear that the jeweler did this. I am pretty confident I inspected this watch very closely upon arrival and it was perfect. You can see in the first picture the wrapping the watch came in, the band also had the blue stuff stuck to it. I have several other watches, some for years, none are scratched like this.

So, let me ask this. When a jeweler adjusts a band, does he put it in some kind of vice that could cause this damage? At this point it is what it is, the watch is a keeper. If I wanted to spring for some bucks, what's the expense to replace the back, if I so decide?

Still lovin' this Ball!
Hi C-Bar
There'd be no need to put the case in a clamp of any kind to work on the bracelet. You indicate that the bracelet was "wrapped" in plastic when you received it from a "non-local" AD (I assume you live in a place where we don't have a dealer). One of our criteria for selecting dealers is competance and it sounds like you may have run into a lacking of that (sorry). Having struggled with our plastic wrap on a few hundred watches - I suspect the jeweler used sissors to try and remove the plastic wrapping. I'm not sure if a replacement back is available (I'll check this week), but that may be problematic on some other levels (serial numbers are all registered with NRC - that sort of thing). On the plus side - my recollection is that the case back is steel - not titainium, and may be refinishable.
I'll talk to our tech folks and get back to you.

congrats on the watch !!!
marc ofte - ball watch usa

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Back on the Mad Cow is Stainless Steel, and unless the scratches are really deep - they can be buffed out. Send it to Ball for an estimate - the price will be about what you'd pay anywhere - and our service is far faster than most.
good luck -
marc ofte

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Marc, I think for now I'll live with it, perhaps when servicing time is due (in a few years) I'll take care of it them. Great watch!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts