WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first modern movement in Russia was an imported design from the French manufacturer Lip. Up to then, the watches had been powered by out-of-date pocket watch movements. The new movement was to be known in Russia as caliber 1802. The very first production featured a mixture of Lip parts and Russian made parts. This particular watch has a Lip made movement and a Russian case in solid silver. I guess that it was made 1935-ish, but I'd like to hear from the more knowledgeable forum members.

The dial in not signed.

Russian silver hallmarks on the case back.

Movement shot from the seller. I'm quite clumpsy and didn't want to risk the miscroscopic screws that required removal to reach the inside.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Type 1 was not out of date! How can you call my favorite Soviet movement ot of date :rodekaart ???

OK, OK, not the most modern construction around, anyway ;-).

The truth, however, is more complex. Befopre 1935 1 GosChazavod was (at least on paper) making some amounts of smaller Type 2 pocket watches and two wristwatches, a gents' one and a ladies' one. They were made - like the pocket watches, using small movements of Dueber Hampden's design.
OK, not only on paper, because those actually can be found, but are very rare and probably they never mass produced them, or even attempted to...
Obviously the biggest Type 1 was easiest to make, but why exactly were the rest discontinued - I have no idea. Perhaps, but it is only my own theory, when they ran out of original old stock parts, they decided not to commence their making, but to sign a different contract with Lip for both pocket watches (ZiM) and small wristwatches (ZiF/Zvezda).

Along with the developement of Zvezdas' production, the 1GChZ continued their works on their own wristwatch, based on the ugly Type 17, being in fact a highly compressed, square type 1.
The watch you show should be very early, like 1935/36, but then - these are so easy to put together from components you can never be sure. What I am sure of is that the case looks old indeed, as the shape of these silver cases changed in time. Also, the hands are very typical of early Zvezda watches. The original Lip movement can be found in some early pieces, so it seems they used it before they started making their own versions :)

BTW:
A Type 3 wristwatch, sogned 1GosChasZavod from early thirties - an example from Mark Gordon's collection... One of the Holy Grails I have real trouble finding :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is the most fascinating period for me, and I appreciate the discussion! [I wish there were more posts about early watches and the watchmaking industry.]

I am sure Paul can vouch for its veracity, but I have found the following site to have some good info on the early period of Soviet watchmaking.

Hampden Watches

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Type 1 was not out of date! How can you call my favorite Soviet movement ot of date :rodekaart ???
I like the Type-1 movement too, but it was far from modern in 1930 when manufacturing started in Moscow. I find it even more fascinating that it was still in production during the 1950's. But instead of calling it out-of-date, lets settle with a "classic" design. ;-)

When I look at the Type-3 you posted, what is the difference compared to Type-1? They look rather similar to my untrained eye.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The size is the difference. Type 1 was 16 size, Typ 2 12 size, type 3 - I believe 5/0 size, which makes it a true wristwatch movement. You could actually fit it in a mid-size ladies watch! The overall design is similar, because these are all Dueber Hampden movements designed in similar period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts