WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) Some folks say O-MEE-GA and some folks say O-MAY-GA. And some philistines say OMMEGGAH.

2) Yes, it IS too big/too small/just right for your wrist.

3) Yes, you should buy it. Because it's YOUR money. And it's for YOUR wrist.

4) Yes, Omega will bring out a new (insert model name here) sometime.

5) No, Omega will NOT bring out a new (insert model name here) ever again.

6) No, you should not consider a watch from an 'investment' perspective. You should buy a watch to wear and enjoy. Maybe even use it for telling the time.

7) Yes, if you want an Omega, and are happy to pay the price, you should buy it. Even if you could get a (insert any other wristwatch brand name here) for the same money.

8) Yes, a NATO strap is cool, even though it only costs fifteen bucks.

9) No, a member who posted a question about whether or not to purchase a watch five or ten years ago is NOT waiting on your advice today.

10) Yes, a hesalite Speedmaster is cool beyond belief.

11) Yes, you DO have enough time throughout a day to wind a Speedmaster.

12) No, you CANNOT use the word 'then' when the correct word would be 'than'. (That's a friggin' pet-hate of mine. And don't even get me started on 'should of'. It's 'should've'. If you're old enough to buy a fine Swiss watch, you're old enough to speak like an adult.)

13) There's NOTHING wrong with buying a pre-owned watch. (Psst! Restaurants don't give you brand new plates and cutlery when you sit down to eat, either. Sorry!)

14) There's no such thing as a 'luxury wristwatch'. It's just pricier than other watches. If you go to a hardware store and one hammer sells for fifteen bucks and another one sells for $75.oo, the more expensive one is not a 'luxury hammer'.

15) Watch winders are not necessary, unless you want the practicality of having a watch ready to go at short notice. Winders do NOT prolong the life of the movement and you don't need specific turns-per-day for specific movements. I have TWO watch winders myself. I have them with me 24 hours a day. They're called 'hands'.

16) No, a cool watch will not make you cooler/smarter OR taller. If you're a douche who's just gotten a cool watch, well, you're still a douche. But with a cool watch.

17) Diamonds do not belong on a man's watch. They're a GIRL'S best friend, remember?

18) Yes, you COULD have found that topic elsewhere if you looked for it with some effort, so the old 'I searched for this topic, but had no luck' line doesn't cut any ice with me. Unless the topic actually hasn't been discussed before.

19) No, you ARE asking for valuation of a watch because you just joined up, you wanna sell the watch and you didn't read the eight or ten rules about the DO's and DON'T's on these forums.

20) No, buying a Rolex is not 'going over to the Dark Side'. It's just buying a Rolex.

21) (Off-topic) It's pronounced 'Off-ee-chee-neh Pun-Air-Eye'. Say it fast. And roll the 'r'.

22) Yes, you can buy a wristwatch because an astronaut, F1 driver or fictional spy wears it. Just don't buy a watch because an internet/social media 'influencer' raves about it.

And let us never speak of these topics again.

;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
1) Some folks say O-MEE-GA and some folks say O-MAY-GA. And some philistines say OMMEGGAH.

2) Yes, it IS too big/too small/just right for your wrist.

3) Yes, you should buy it. Because it's YOUR money. And it's for YOUR wrist.

4) Yes, Omega will bring out a new (insert model name here) sometime.

5) No, Omega will NOT bring out a new (insert model name here) ever again.

6) No, you should not consider a watch from an 'investment' perspective. You should buy a watch to wear and enjoy. Maybe even use it for telling the time.

7) Yes, if you want an Omega, and are happy to pay the price, you should buy it. Even if you could get a (insert any other wristwatch brand name here) for the same money.

8) Yes, a NATO strap is cool, even though it costs fifteen bucks.

9) No, a member who posted a question about whether or not to purchase a watch five or ten years ago is NOT waiting on your advice today.

10) Yes, a hesalite Speedmaster is cool beyond belief.

11) Yes, you DO have enough time throughout a day to wind a Speedmaster.

12) No, you CANNOT use the word 'then' when the correct word would be 'than'. (That's a friggin' pet-hate of mine. And don't even get me started on 'should of'. It's 'should've'. If you're old enough to buy a fine Swiss watch, you're old enough to speak like an adult.)

13) There's NOTHING wrong with buying a pre-owned watch. (Psst! Restaurants don't give you brand new plates and cutlery when you sit down to eat, either. Sorry!)

14) There's no such thing as a 'luxury wristwatch'. It's just pricier than other watches. If you go to a hardware store and one hammer sells for fifteen bucks and another one sells for $75.oo, the more expensive one is not a 'luxury hammer'.

15) Watch winders are not necessary, unless you want the practicality of having a watch ready to go at short notice. Winders do NOT prolong the life of the movement and you don't need specific turns-per-day for specific movements. I have TWO watch winders myself. I have them with me 24 hours a day. They're called 'hands'.

16) No, a cool watch will not make you cooler/smarter OR taller. If you're a douche who's just gotten a cool watch, well, you're still a douche. But with a cool watch.

17) Diamonds do not belong on a man's watch. They're a GIRL'S best friend, remember?

18) Yes, you COULD have found that topic elsewhere if you looked for it with some effort, so the old 'I searched for this topic, but had no luck' line doesn't cut any ice with me. Unless the topic actually hasn't been discussed before.

19) No, you ARE asking for valuation of a watch because you just joined up, you wanna sell the watch and you didn't read the eight or ten rules about the DO's and DON'T's on these forums.

20) No, buying a Rolex is not 'going over to the Dark Side'. It's just buying a Rolex.

21) (Off-topic) It's pronounced 'Off-ee-chee-neh Pun-Air-Eye'. Say it fast. And roll the 'r'.

22) Yes, you can buy a wristwatch because an astronaut, F1 driver or fictional spy wears it. Just don't buy a watch because an internet/social media 'influencer' raves about it.

And let us never speak of these topics again.

;)
😂😂😂
Your number 12 - I couldn’t agree more. So many write it this way that i found it a lost cause to even bring it up but glad you did👍

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Tangentially to number 14, it amuses me that our hobby appears to be the only one where luxury and high end mean different things.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
And the scripture has been laid before us. Go now and spread the good word. It is our job to uphold and carry it unto future generations.

(This is the best post I’ve seen here in almost 10 years and 10k+ posts.)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We should pin it and make it a condition for any new members to read the stuff before they can access the forums.

·
Registered
131 Posts
"Philistines" - hilarious haha. I will always pronounce it "OH-MEE-GA" - if that's how James Bond pronounces it, that's good enough for me. My wife now pronounces it the same way as well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I don't know what your talking about, Internet grammar is always perfect. To me it seems like you're pet peeve is a bit over the top and your taking things too seriously, but I guess your entitled to have an opinion and express it here.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Fabulous Tino, made me laugh out loud.

Could you perhaps add that there is NO apostrophe before a plural s.

And that a strap can conplement a watch but not compliment it. One may however be complimented on a strap that complements a watch.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I did a search on this and didn't find anything. Maybe I should of been more thorough but I'm lazy and thought it would be easier to ask the experts on this forum. I just inherited my Grandfather's Luxury Hammer. Is it authentic and how much is it worth? Is it more valuable then an Omega? Thanks for you're answers.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts