WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
馃帳 drop........

Ren茅

Registered
"Philistines" - hilarious haha. I will always pronounce it "OH-MEE-GA" - if that's how James Bond pronounces it, that's good enough for me. My wife now pronounces it the same way as well.
so if you quote a fictitious character, does that make you fictitious?

Registered
1) Some folks say O-MEE-GA and some folks say O-MAY-GA. And some philistines say OMMEGGAH.

2) Yes, it IS too big/too small/just right for your wrist.

3) Yes, you should buy it. Because it's YOUR money. And it's for YOUR wrist.

4) Yes, Omega will bring out a new (insert model name here) sometime.

5) No, Omega will NOT bring out a new (insert model name here) ever again.

6) No, you should not consider a watch from an 'investment' perspective. You should buy a watch to wear and enjoy. Maybe even use it for telling the time.

7) Yes, if you want an Omega, and are happy to pay the price, you should buy it. Even if you could get a (insert any other wristwatch brand name here) for the same money.

8) Yes, a NATO strap is cool, even though it costs fifteen bucks.

9) No, a member who posted a question about whether or not to purchase a watch five or ten years ago is NOT waiting on your advice today.

10) Yes, a hesalite Speedmaster is cool beyond belief.

11) Yes, you DO have enough time throughout a day to wind a Speedmaster.

12) No, you CANNOT use the word 'then' when the correct word would be 'than'. (That's a friggin' pet-hate of mine. And don't even get me started on 'should of'. It's 'should've'. If you're old enough to buy a fine Swiss watch, you're old enough to speak like an adult.)

13) There's NOTHING wrong with buying a pre-owned watch. (Psst! Restaurants don't give you brand new plates and cutlery when you sit down to eat, either. Sorry!)

14) There's no such thing as a 'luxury wristwatch'. It's just pricier than other watches. If you go to a hardware store and one hammer sells for fifteen bucks and another one sells for $75.oo, the more expensive one is not a 'luxury hammer'.

15) Watch winders are not necessary, unless you want the practicality of having a watch ready to go at short notice. Winders do NOT prolong the life of the movement and you don't need specific turns-per-day for specific movements. I have TWO watch winders myself. I have them with me 24 hours a day. They're called 'hands'.

16) No, a cool watch will not make you cooler/smarter OR taller. If you're a douche who's just gotten a cool watch, well, you're still a douche. But with a cool watch.

17) Diamonds do not belong on a man's watch. They're a GIRL'S best friend, remember?

18) Yes, you COULD have found that topic elsewhere if you looked for it with some effort, so the old 'I searched for this topic, but had no luck' line doesn't cut any ice with me. Unless the topic actually hasn't been discussed before.

19) No, you ARE asking for valuation of a watch because you just joined up, you wanna sell the watch and you didn't read the eight or ten rules about the DO's and DON'T's on these forums.

20) No, buying a Rolex is not 'going over to the Dark Side'. It's just buying a Rolex.

21) (Off-topic) It's pronounced 'Off-ee-chee-neh Pun-Air-Eye'. Say it fast. And roll the 'r'.

22) Yes, you can buy a wristwatch because an astronaut, F1 driver or fictional spy wears it. Just don't buy a watch because an internet/social media 'influencer' raves about it.

And let us never speak of these topics again.

;)
Love it Tino, specially #9

@solesman (Dan): 22 is for you!

Lets keep adding more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: solesman

Registered
14) If you go to a hardware store and one hammer sells for fifteen bucks and another one sells for $75.oo, the more expensive one is not a 'luxury hammer'.
Probably true if you can just buy either hammer at the store and be on your way.

But, if you put your name on a long waiting list and hope to be called someday to actually purchase the $75.00 hammer for $100.00, then that's definitely a luxury hammer.

Registered
I don't think things like hammers, brooms or mops can be luxury items, no matter how much they cost. The luxurious way to put a new roof on your house is to hire a roofer, not to buy the best hammer, ladder and knee pads available. I don't know for sure, but I expect that people who buy the most expensive watches don't ever read the time off them - if you're rich enough, people wait for you.

Registered
Brilliant! However, as further discussion on these topics shall be heretofore anathema, please understand this is not a reply to the post but is merely to make clear that nothing more need be said, and I certainly am not doing so. <-Praeteritio ;)

Registered
Great post.
I will always say O-MAY-GA simply because it sounds better and your mouth doesn鈥檛 have to contort into an EE in the middle of the word.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Great post.
I will always say O-MAY-GA simply because it sounds better and your mouth doesn鈥檛 have to contort into an EE in the middle of the word.
Nah, that won鈥檛 work. Then we鈥檇 all have to say 鈥淐hayze!鈥 when having our picture taken at parties.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
But what will we all speak about now?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know. Okay, Mods, you can shut this place down now.

Very comprehensive....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure I left something out.
Oh! Yeah-
The REAL test of a new watch movement is not years of testing and millions of dollars in Research & Development. The real test is strapping the watch to the wrist of an idiot for six months.

馃槀馃槀馃槀
Your number 12 - I couldn鈥檛 agree more. So many write it this way that i found it a lost cause to even bring it up but glad you did馃憤
When I used to occasionally correct somebody on the incorrect use of a word, I'd get the old; "Woah! The Spelling Police is here!"
Some folks are happy to be wrong. They probably also wear a diamond-bezeled Franck Muller or Breitling For Bentley.

Corollary to 12, how about compliment vs complement?
The list is endless. I had to stop at just one. Or was it two?

And the scripture has been laid before us. Go now and spread the good word. It is our job to uphold and carry it unto future generations.

(This is the best post I鈥檝e seen here in almost 10 years and 10k+ posts.)
THIS post!?

We should pin it and make it a condition for any new members to read the stuff before they can access the forums.
Mods? Mods?

Fabulous Tino, made me laugh out loud.

Could you perhaps add that there is NO apostrophe before a plural s.

And that a strap can conplement a watch but not compliment it. One may however be complimented on a strap that complements a watch.
Yeah, apostrophes. George Williams' watch stopped working, not George Williams's watch stopped working.
Although, that one does get tricky sometimes.
And then there's kids/kid's/kids'. That one can make your head explode.

I did a search on this and didn't find anything. Maybe I should of been more thorough but I'm lazy and thought it would be easier to ask the experts on this forum. I just inherited my Grandfather's Luxury Hammer. Is it authentic and how much is it worth? Is it more valuable then an Omega? Thanks for you're answers.
If you knew how hard I'm gritting my teeth right now, pal...

I pronounce it Omega and sometimes I say Omega but I've heard people say Omega or Omega.
Me too!

so if you quote a fictitious character, does that make you fictitious?
No. That makes you awesome. Because, most of the time, there's a line from a song, book or movie that's better than what a real person can come up with.
Next time your boss asks why you were late, just say the highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive.
That's from Springsteen's "Born to Run" but Christopher Moltisanti (Michael Imperioli) says it to Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) in an episode of The Sopranos.

Thanks Tino, I needed a laugh.

Is this the pacific answer to the question? No it鈥檚 the specific one!!!

Nigel
While some men are a rock or an island, no man is an ocean. Unless his first name is Billy or Danny.

You forgot the most important answer of all.....42
Izzat a "Hitchhiker's" reference? I never watched it or read the book. Kenny Everett ripped off that answer when answering the meaning of life on his early '80s tv show, The Kenny Everett Video Cassette, which I used to watch for the Hot Gossip dancers.
(Showing my age there)

Thank you for answering all the questions I had 馃檹
You are welcome!

I don't think things like hammers, brooms or mops can be luxury items, no matter how much they cost. The luxurious way to put a new roof on your house is to hire a roofer, not to buy the best hammer, ladder and knee pads available. I don't know for sure, but I expect that people who buy the most expensive watches don't ever read the time off them - if you're rich enough, people wait for you.
If you're being funny/ironic, then kudos to your comic brilliance. If you're being serious, well....
Let me just say, there was a time, say maybe fifty, sixty years ago, when expensive watches did exist, but they were marketed mainly as being well-made, robust, accurate, ahead of their time, etc.
Then, the Yuppie contingent came along in the mid-Eighties (1986) and decided that a Rolex DateJust had to be part of their uniform, along with the two-tone Submariner on weekends -while they had a Ralph Lauren or Lacoste jumper/sweater/pullover* tied around their shoulders- and the perception of the Rolex brand began to shift.

In 1966, it was this;

Check out that price!!!! Sure, factor in wages and salaries in the mid-1960s and that watch was probably still reasonably attainable.

In the mid/late Seventies, it was this:

I called a jewellery store in 1981 to enquire about the price of a GMT Master.
"You sound quite young to be wanting a watch like this", said the salesman on the other end of the line.
I was four.

Nah, I wasn't, but it plays funnier to say that. I was fifteen. I visited the store a few weeks later to get a catalogue. The salesman wrote the price down on the page where the GMT Master was listed- $1,050.ooAUD.
Looking back, I'm guessing that the Submariner 5513/0 on the page next to it would have been a hundred or so dollars more or less than ($#!t, I almost wrote 'then'!) the GMT. Pricey, but perhaps still attainable if one lived a little frugally for a year or so.

And, in recent years, we've had this;

Greatness, to me, anyway, is about doing something for somebody less fortunate, or doing something without regard for personal gain or acclaim. Not spending ten grand on a watch. Which I HAVE done, admittedly, on that Sub 5513. And, like Tony Stark in IronMan II, when he and Warhammer are taking on those drone robots in the park and he does that pirouette with the twin lasers, I could only do it once.

But the modern Rolex watch is no longer about people who did interesting/extraordinary/ innovative/creative things.
And yes, I'm sure if you're rich enough, people wait for you.
But if you're rich and you keep people waiting, you're either disorganised or just plain rude.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will not sit under.
Not sure if that applies here, but it's a nice sentiment.
Oh, and a favourite of mine is this one; You can tell the measure of a man from the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sadly, these watches, across numerous brands, are nowadays referred to as luxury watches. Just to maintain the division between the rich and the not so rich. No problem if somebody wants to spend ten, twenty, fifty, a hundred grand on a watch. As longs as their reason for it ain't shallow.

And I can rip off a Rolex ad as well as anybody;

Registered
I don't know what your talking about, Internet grammar is always perfect. To me it seems like you're pet peeve is a bit over the top and your taking things too seriously, but I guess your entitled to have an opinion and express it here.
Their is nothing more annoying than people that get there grammar mixed up. Im sure theyre some folks on here that get it wrong all the time and theirs no excuse for it.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts