WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen,

In response to the recent thread, https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/can-i-suggest-dress-watch-forum-3088378-6.html, and the likely result that we will not be getting a themed forum of our own I wanted to start what I hope will be a permanent thread that all Dress Watch enthusiasts can participate in.

So let me set the stage, I am also a member over at Styleforum where there are persistent threads that act as a micro-community much the way a forum would without having to start a new topic for everything. They're fun, everyone gets to know the other posters and reading the thread from start to finish is an enjoyable journey. My hope is to get something of that feel with this thread. I did not start this in the High End forum specifically so that we can include all levels of dress watches: from $75 Seikos to watches worth hundreds of thousands. It's just about appreciating classy, dressy pieces.

This is NOT meant to be an "I have 5K, which dress watch should I buy" thread aggregator but rather a thread for fans of dress watches to discuss their collections, what they love about them etc.

With that out of the way, I'll start.

My personal journey with dress watches started young, as I remember my father always wearing suits and a simple Cyma dress watch to work. I recall thinking that was the archetype of a man - understated and cool. Its what my love of both clothes and watches stems from and, ever since, I've had a special place in my heart for dress watches (full disclosure I wear my Pepsi most days as it's a terrific beater and so easy to throw on). To me, a dress watch doesn't need to fall within the hard and fast definition some subscribe to (i.e. two hands, yellow gold, manual wind, Roman or stick numerals) and I would love to know what everyone else thinks about what makes a great dress watch. Based on that, my collection includes two "true" dress watches - my Cartier Tank Basculante and the A. Lange & Sohne 1815 - and I intend for that to grow as time and finances permit.

My Cartier was one of my first real dress watches. I've loved Cartier for a long time and never quite understood why they got so swept under the rug by the watch masses. They were the choice of greats like Andy Warhol and Cary Grant, I mean how cool is that? The Tank Basculante was special because it was originally re-released as part of the CPCP collection but then was also offered in Stainless Steel. Hand wound featuring a fantastic F. Piguet movement this thing checked all my boxes - slim, discreet, guilloche dial, roman numerals and classic feel.
Sky Cloud Wrist Hand Morning

Some might argue that the 1815 isn't a true dress watch in the sense that it uses arabic numerals instead of roman or stick. It's generally accepted that the Saxonia line is the dressiest line from ALS but I still think of the 1815 as a dress watch than can do dual duty as a dressy casual watch. I purchased my 1815 as a present to celebrate a professional milestone to myself and, when I was deciding on what I wanted, I was looking at similar 3 handers from the Trinity. I got a lot of advice to go with a Patek and, granted, they are lovely but what finally swayed my decision was the fact that ALS is so new to the game and doing revolutionary things. In my mind, this 1815 was like the opportunity to get the first ever Calatrava - a classic that will likely outlive me. The chance to get in at the ground floor of a disruptive, top tier manufacturer was something I wasn't about to pass up. And so I didn't.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

What do I want next? I'm torn between the Grand Seiko SBGW033 130th, Ralph Lauren Slimline Classique round or an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu. All three, in my eyes, are exceptional watches in their respective price ranges and would be tremendous additions to my collection. I'm even considering moving my entire collection to time only pieces (Pepsi excluded) to really hone in on the essence of watchmaking.

Now the onus is on the rest of you; what are your thoughts, collection, interpretation of dress watches? Hopefully there is enough interest to keep this thread alive and well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm on the hunt right now for something dressy so I'll be interested to see where this goes. My preference is to modern sizes in the 40-42mm range.

Not my photo but I'm lusting over this Tourby Guilloche model.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The dressiest I have for now is this Tissot that was my high school graduation gift from my parents 20 years ago. It works with a suit and tie nicely just wears a little small for my taste.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nice thread. I don't as yet have a true dress watch. I am a big fan of the Cartiers dress watches. The Cartier Tank in yellow gold from the CPCP collection is something I would love to have. I like both your two choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,366 Posts
High quality dress watches need not be very expensive or Swiss. Example of a superb yet affordable:

Gavox Legacy Navy Logical with Citizen-Miyota automatic movement and sapphire crystal

Gavox Legacy Navy Review - worn&wound

............Mine

·
Premium Member
24,340 Posts
These are some of the dress(y) watches in my collection.

While the Clous de Paris guilloche bezel was not present in the original Patek Philippe Calatrava 96, and was only introduced in 1973 in the 3520D, it is a design that I have come to view as the quintessential dress watch, and I appreciate the characteristic sparkle that the hobnail bezel exhibits that is balanced and moderated by the thinness of the bezel and the simplicity of the printed dial.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J

The Frederique Constant Slimline is an elegant, minimalist dress watch, without date and seconds hand. The absence of the seconds hand is something I prefer in my quartz watches, as I find the ticking of a quartz movement to be a bit jarring, particularly in a dress watch.

Frederique Constant Slimline Quartz

The Grande Reverso Duo is perhaps less of a traditional dress watch, with the expanded date window, and the somewhat larger form factor. While it isn't my first choice for a formal social event, it fits perfectly in a formal business setting.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo

The Orient is another less traditional dress watch, with a date and central seconds complication and a power reserve indicator. It is more of a watch that is inspired by a vintage everyday watch, and is a very charming watch on the wrist.

Orient 60th Anniversary

These are some other watches which I've sold.

Concord Bennington

Beijing Beihai 50th Anniversary

·
Registered
16,665 Posts
I'm one that doesn't subscribe to a pure dress watch definition as typically/normally defined. I don't have a problem or disagree with that definition and see the logic in it. But I stretch the boundaries a bit. As long as a watch is uncomplicated and can fit under a shirt cuff, they can function in a dressy setting (at least the one's that I would normally attend/be invited to). With that in mind, these are the watches that fit the bill in my watch/social world and I've used them as such . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
JLC Master Ultra Thin 1907 Grand Feu in White Gold.

Thin, minimal, diameter isn't too big, no seconds hand or complication, precious metal, enamel dial is a plus. Lovely!

Watch Analog watch White Black Watch accessory

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Some awesome watches in this thread already, but how did you decide to let this one go? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was thinking the exact same thing. Beautiful with the cream dial and pink gold.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just to start with firing up the thread early on what isn't and is. I find this version of the Hamilton Khaki officer very intriguing. It's on 34mm dia case and for me has a very dressy look. Not saying it's a dress watch but on a nice leather strap it certainly isn't a classic utilitarian field watch. Perhaps meant for ladies but I haven't seen much of an uptake of automatic field watches by them so perhaps not?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

The above pict. borrowed from the Vapaus Kickstarter site.

I'm a fan of what 2 brothers (otherwise known as Vapaus) have done from across the Atlantic! It appears they are well on the way (recently introduced on Kickstarter) to fill this niche with the Veli series. IMHO they've achieved a great mix of classic and contemporary design esthetics to make a diversified dress piece, at a very reasonable price, that does not compromise on what one would expect from either the build or mechanical aspects of a more refined dress timepiece! If this is any inclination of what Vapaus is capable of tantalizing the fans of dress timepieces with than I see a bright future beyond their humble Kickstarter introduction. I can't wait for the anticipated Nov./Dec. shipping date for a real life assessment ;-)

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Two from my collection that I classify as my "dress" watches are my Hamilton Intra Matic and my Orient Bambino. Any time I wear a dress shirt, suit, tie, etc. these two can fit the occasion.

1 - 20 of 1066 Posts