WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
It's really nice to see your HMT watches. At one time, it seems it was almost mandatory for pollies to wear one to show that they're one of the people.

I understand why the Indian govt had to stop subsidising the protected home-grown industry; still a pity that the unique flavour is gone.

Is there still musty New Old Stock HMTs languishing in small shops? Or have they been snapped up by canny collectors?
So, two things happen with HMT watches now:

1. The company still sells some of the models from its official site, but they are not accepted as "canonical" models largely because the company is assembling it from NOS spare parts and makes weird combinations depending on what they can lay their hands on.

2. Collectors pay close attention to watches bought retail when the company was still manufacturing watches and treasure them. And some of us pick old watches with dial and/or other issues and have our watchmakers make "mods". For example, the Vijay watches are originals. The max bill look and the propilot look are mods.

:)

Instagram: Login • Instagram

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the info. Didn't know HMT were frankenmodding their own stock. I had a romantic idea that some local collector managed to alight upon some NOS in a dusty provincial retail outlet.

From what I've read about them, they also did quite good business with weddings and graduations. I also liked reading some old ads touting the HMT watch, really good copywriting going on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They don't differ to the degree that you're posting. Those are not even close to dress watches, the fact that you personally may wear them with clothes you consider dressy does not change that fact. James Bond wearing a submariner with a tuxedo does not make it a dress watch, just as actors wearing Jordans with suits do not make them dress shoes.

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." ― Pablo Picasso

View attachment 16078007
I agree, we should hang on to some standards and traditions, dignity, self respect.

I'm not sure if I've posted this before. I got a very thin lizard strap to my vintage watch, I use it as THE dress watch because it's so small and slim(ish).
80 years old manual wind Tissot Aquasport, 31.5mm size, 9.8mm thick.
I know it's not a dress watch per se, more like an acceptable dress watch, perhaps an heirloom someday. Caseback serial dates it to 1939 but movement serial is 1942.
It was my first mechanical watch, found it from ebay in bad condition and had it serviced. Crystal is new, crown was not original, case has propably never been polished.

Watch Analog watch Azure Rectangle Clock
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Rectangle

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
I just got a new dress watch. It compliments my other new purchase well.

Watch Analog watch Light Product Gesture

Reactions: rxmar23
1041 - 1060 of 1066 Posts