WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1061 - 1066 of 1066 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thoughts on Nomos Orion 35 as a dress watch? Will be used for business meetings (suit and tie) and black tie events.

slight concerns: Gold indices don't seem very dress watch-y (blued hands seem fine). Long lugs seem a bit too sporty. Don't know how it'll pair with an alligator strap (shell cordovan strap, as it comes with by default, feels too sporty).

I had a Nomos Club and it was an awful dress watch. Case was too thick/juicy/sporty. Too colorful.

appreciate any thoughts thx
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Rectangle Clock

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
The Nomos is fine.

Reviewing pics since my last post which was probably years ago, I sure do see a lot of watches that were sold as sport watches in the day but also recently.

I’m not really the purist I sometimes am perceived to be—I wore a Zenith Captain Chronograph on a (horrors!) bracelet with a suit while in high-end New York meetings this week—and I don’t let a seconds hand or a calendar prevent entry into the classification. But I do make a distinction between “dress,” “party,” and “formal”, just as I do with shoes.

I did bring my vintage JLC 2953, but it was too hot and humid for that expensive Camille Fournet strap. :)

Here’s one that works in the formal category, particularly if the occasion overlaps “formal” and “social event”:

With a business suit, any watch that expresses the image one wants to convey works. And that includes sport watches. But that being true doesn’t make a sport watch a dress watch.

Rick “the dress watches of today were the daily-wear watches of yesterday” Denney

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thoughts on Nomos Orion 35 as a dress watch? Will be used for business meetings (suit and tie) and black tie events.

slight concerns: Gold indices don't seem very dress watch-y (blued hands seem fine). Long lugs seem a bit too sporty. Don't know how it'll pair with an alligator strap (shell cordovan strap, as it comes with by default, feels too sporty).

I had a Nomos Club and it was an awful dress watch. Case was too thick/juicy/sporty. Too colorful.

appreciate any thoughts thx
Shell Cordovan is definitely not sporty. Long lugs are neither sporty or dressy, they just are. I’m not sure why gold indexes would make it any less dressy. An alligator band can potentially class it up a bit more, but nobody is going to look at that watch on a black shell cordovan strap and confuse it for anything sporty. And yes, a Club Is a fun watch, but not particularly dressy, though thick is not a word I would associate with one either.

1061 - 1066 of 1066 Posts