WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Furthermore, it is very counterintuitive that the minute hand points to the marker with 9 but it doesn't mean 9 minutes but 45.
At least some pilot watches solve this problem by using separate scales for the hour and minute hands.

·
Registered
373 Posts
At least some pilot watches solve this problem by using separate scales for the hour and minute hands.

I did not know there is a solar/quartz one. Had i known, I certainly should have prefered it even to a G-Shock. What is the model, and is it still in production?

By the way that is what I referred to as a B-Typ watch, after a WW2 watch for aerial reconnaissance spotters. I find it surprising that there are not more of these watches. It makes so much more sense, the minute scale is where the hand points to, likewise for the hour hand. Furthermore, the greater radius is better to make it easier reading the minutes, for the hours, with only 12 increments the smaller radius is good enough. This makes it as easy as reading any radial gauge, unlike other watches that assume a lot of unspoken conventions. I'm certain a 4 to 5 year old can learn to read this watch in a very short time.

I have a Seiko SNK with this type of dial (unfortunately just a mechanical watch) and can make an experiment at the weekend.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I did not know there is a solar/quartz one. Had i known, I certainly should have prefered it even to a G-Shock. What is the model, and is it still in production?

By the way that is what I referred to as a B-Typ watch, after a WW2 watch for aerial reconnaissance spotters. I find it surprising that there are not more of these watches. It makes so much more sense, the minute scale is where the hand points to, likewise for the hour hand. Furthermore, the greater radius is better to make it easier reading the minutes, for the hours, with only 12 increments the smaller radius is good enough. This makes it as easy as reading any radial gauge, unlike other watches that assume a lot of unspoken conventions. I'm certain a 4 to 5 year old can learn to read this watch in a very short time.

I have a Seiko SNK with this type of dial (unfortunately just a mechanical watch) and can make an experiment at the weekend.
It's a Citizen BV1085-14E, and it is a current model. The picture is not mine. I have an older BV1085-06E, which just has the normal numeric hour markers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd like to chime in here. As a teacher, especially a high school teacher, my watch is about as important as my pencil or pen.

When I was a student teacher, I wore nice analog watches for the sake of visual aesthetics and being able to loosely grasp the time in class.

A few years into my teaching g career, and my DW-5000-1JF hasn't left my wrist in over a year. Intervals of 3, 5, and 7 minutes are pretty important when assigning specific tasks, and managing the procedure of assignments, and when gauging the start and end of class and breaks.

Digital readouts gives me a textual understanding of each class, as into the year I internalize that one class starts at 9:32 and ends at 11:06. Break is at 10:19, and so on.

I actually find that most of my colleagues wear digital watches, my co-teacher actuals wear the F-91w.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'd like to chime in here. As a teacher, especially a high school teacher, my watch is about as important as my pencil or pen.

When I was a student teacher, I wore nice analog watches for the sake of visual aesthetics and being able to loosely grasp the time in class.

A few years into my teaching g career, and my DW-5000-1JF hasn't left my wrist in over a year. Intervals of 3, 5, and 7 minutes are pretty important when assigning specific tasks, and managing the procedure of assignments, and when gauging the start and end of class and breaks.

Digital readouts gives me a textual understanding of each class, as into the year I internalize that one class starts at 9:32 and ends at 11:06. Break is at 10:19, and so on.

I actually find that most of my colleagues wear digital watches, my co-teacher actuals wear the F-91w.
Truth be told, I'd be more interested - from a teaching / teacher's perspective - about what pedagogy tells about teaching young children about time.

As is, the connection you've given about teaching only seems as relevant as any other occupation where time periods during a working day are reasonably precise.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Truth be told, I'd be more interested - from a teaching / teacher's perspective - about what pedagogy tells about teaching young children about time.

As is, the connection you've given about teaching only seems as relevant as any other occupation where time periods during a working day are reasonably precise.
I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking. "Pedagogy" doesn't tell anyone anything about teaching time...but I don't teach elementary grades, I teach high school History and Economics courses. Aside from the Pavlovian behavior AP student exhibit with their adherence to rigid scheduling, I can't help you.

As is, your question on pedagogy and time isn't precise enough to answer.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking. "Pedagogy" doesn't tell anyone anything about teaching time...but I don't teach elementary grades, I teach high school History and Economics courses. Aside from the Pavlovian behavior AP student exhibit with their adherence to rigid scheduling, I can't help you.

As is, your question on pedagogy and time isn't precise enough to answer.
The reason I mentioned it, being earlier on in the thread there were opinions expressed in terms of what type of watch display was used education in terms of teaching children about time.

People invariably chip in with their personal universe, and then use that stance to suggest what is actually optimum for children to learn from, which is why I raised pedagogy. If we're actually to have some discussion about what is more suitable for young children to learn about time it would be interesting what the science of teaching has established about it.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts