WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
came across some articles on the dreadnought. good reading.
http://www.prs2dreadnought.com/

please peruse the article. there are more links to other reviews the further you read about the watch. there is also the case blueprints. thats where it gets interesting. so for those who wonder about this watch that sparks fierce debates and cross forum fights, well heres the complete story.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Very interesting article, I never really looked at any pics of a Dreadnought (though I had heard of the watch), my O7 LM6 borrows heavily from this watch as do several others that come to mind.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thanks Sean - A real good read.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Don't know if anyone noticed, but the article was written by Pete Millar that also wrote the Doxa Book. Pete writes an analysis for almost all the Doxas that are released, and he is always QUITE objective.

Sean, that was a good read, thanks for posting. I am not sure that I would want to have my DN polished if I had one, but I guess to each their own.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thanks for posting Sean.
Have read this before and read it again.
Did nothing but reinforce that DN is indeed an icon in this class. Whether its the original or has inspired clones or not may be debatable.
Purely from perception point of view this watch is the leader of the pack and indeed a classic. Most people like it, some do not. The other watches with Fricker cases are also nice, may be equally nice. But it is hard to dislodge DN from its iconic position. For several reasons, people are ultra sensitive when it comes to this issue. I dont take particular pleasure in ruffling any feathers but there are people whoi have strong views which might also be legitimate. It is inexplicable that the forum has become so intolerant of these views and this kind of treatment is reserved for DN for some reason. I undertand the desire not to
allow flagrant and unjustified criticism of sponsors of the forum. And am not even sure it that is at the root of this issue.
I just think the DN policy doesnt make sense and the guidelines sound like an attempt to muzzle opinions. It is sad that this issue has led to stalwart members leaving the forum and more prepared to do so.
Hope wiser sense will prevail.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Thanks for posting Sean.
Did nothing but reinforce that DN is indeed an icon in this class. Whether its the original or has inspired clones or not may be debatable.
Purely from perception point of view this watch is the leader of the pack and indeed a classic. Most people like it, some do not. The other watches with Fricker cases are also nice, may be equally nice. But it is hard to dislodge DN from its iconic position. For several reasons, people are ultra sensitive when it comes to this issue. I dont take particular pleasure in ruffling any feathers but there are people whoi have strong views which might also be legitimate. It is inexplicable that the forum has become so intolerant of these views and this kind of treatment is reserved for DN for some reason. I undertand the desire not to
allow flagrant and unjustified criticism of sponsors of the forum. And am not even sure it that is at the root of this issue.
I just think the DN policy doesnt make sense and the guidelines sound like an attempt to muzzle opinions. It is sad that this issue has led to stalwart members leaving the forum and more prepared to do so.

Very nice post, and I think echo's a lot of others opinions as well. Not sure why the Dread is such a taboo subject on WUS, I must not have been around when all that was going on...

·
Banned
1,664 Posts
Thanks for posting Sean.

:-!

GREAT post and I agree 110%. Well-stated my friend.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I remember reading this in like 05 before I got deep into the diver/tool game.

it seemed like some obscure monster of a watch....some lurking loch-ness that existed in peoples safes.

Somehow I got my hands on one, and now I get it. What a cool piece|>

Dr. Pete is a really nice guy, we have since chatted. You think Im a watch freak?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Sean,

thanks for linking my Dreadnought site. It reminded me that I need to update the owners list on it. The PRS 2 really seems to be an emotive and emotional beast for many people and in many ways I can fully understand it.

The reason I bought mine was not through some desire to own an iconic watch. Actually I followed the development of it but considered it too big so never went after one. I bought it because as it was the only fully polished one at the time, I was able to pick it up relatively cheap. People didn't want a polished one. I bought it to compare it with the Doxa SUB 300T Reissue and fully intended to sell it again once the review had been done. However, when I got it I was captivated by it. Like many watches, photos don't do it justice. It is a serious lump of hardware and has an amazing wrist presence. I also loved the fact it was poloished. I just don't like beadblasted finishes. They are a bugger to try to repair.

For me (and your mileage may vary), the Dreadnought is a classic, just like the Seamaster, Sea-Dweller, Submarinner, SUB 300T etc etc. It was a design which didn't seem to have been done before. Sure, it used elements of previous designs (Ploprof hands for example) but it took those elements and made something different. Different enough that it was then copied or homaged or whatever. Now that to me isn't a bad thing. It means that the watch had a substantial effect on the hearts and minds of the audience it was targetted at and other watchmakers. Given the specs and the price, Eddie Platts produced a classic. If it had been made by Rolex, or Omega or one of the big boys, it would have cost shedloads more and been hailed as a paradigm shift. Eddie is just an ordinary bloke so he would never receive the plaudits or exposure of say, Rolex.

Ultimately I sold mine because I felt the watch was just too big for my squinty wee wrists. Incidentally, I sold my SUB 300T reissue for exactly the same reason. I was able to do a deal for a Sea-Dweller for it so I sold it. It has subsequently been sold again and restored to the beadblasted finish. Do I wish I still had it? Actually, yes, but I'd probably not wear it much. I'm now into comfort rather than form or function. Of all the watches I own, the Seamaster is without doubt the most comfortable one to wear. Low profile, low center of gravity and large flat caseback. For some strange reason watchmakers seem to think the bigger and thicker the better. They make casebacks thick and solid, not to accomodate the movement but just to add height. Plain crazy in my opinion. You can have wrist presence with comfort and subtlty. If you have bigger wrists the Dreadnought had both. Unfortunately for smaller wrists the comfort factor suffered.

Ultimately the fact that some people love or loathe the DN all boils down to personal preferences. No-one is right and no-one is wrong. What rattles my cage is people pontificating about how good or bad it is and they have never even seen one in real life. But I guess that's the same for anything. Opinions are cheap. Besides, the whole thing is insanity. I was driving home yesterday with a Breitling Superocean on my wrist, gleeming in the sun. My car is a 14 year old Honda with 230,000 miles on the clock and is worth probably 20 bucks for scrap. It just seemed so incongrous that a half ton car which still drives me around and runs likle a train is worth less than a tiny piece of gclass, steel and cogs which does nothing but tell the time.....

We are all nuts :)

Pete

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
...My car is a 14 year old Honda with 230,000 miles on the clock and is worth probably 20 bucks for scrap. It just seemed so incongrous that a half ton car which still drives me around and runs likle a train is worth less than a tiny piece of gclass, steel and cogs which does nothing but tell the time.....

We are all nuts :)

Pete
Great line. Great post. Great review of the DN. Thanks for the contribution.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Thanks Dr Pete... I loved re-reading your site about the DN. And appreciated your synopsis again in this post. It only solidifies my fondness of a watch that I will likely never have a chance to own... but it is fun dreaming!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Hey Sean ....

just wanted to say thanks, before this thread gets locked, for posting that link on the DN. I didn't know much about the DN other than it was a very controversial watch. That thread answered all my questions, it was a very good read. Dr Pete ... fine job. - David

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I am not a "politician" and hence do not understand NOR do I care about who is right and who is wrong. I am a watch boy and I am only interest in watches, money and women (of course:-d!)

So back to the DN, it is a good watch alright. But I wonder why Eddie (Timefactor's owner) produced it in a LE of 200? Since it was so HOT and popular, why didn't Eddie continue to produce the DN? Maybe he can come up with a DN2 or whatever. Instead, I keep seeing Timefactors coming up with homages<| of PANERAI Radiomir, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms & Aqualung,.....etc.

And please don't tell me that the production cost of the DN was high cos it was retailed when it first started at about $850+/-. TODAY....the DN (used) is selling on the market from anything $1700-2500 or maybe more and YET people are still willing to pay for those prices!

I am sure if Eddie comes up with a re-issue of DN or DN2 or whatever it will be called, even at $1000 or $1500, there are bound to be buyers!

JMO.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Two things never cease to amaze me:

1) what you can find on the internet

2) that people actually find it!

I'd call that a result rbt.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.