WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
Test Entry
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Easy Winners was a ragtime piece written by the ragtime king Scott Joplin and published in 1901. Do you notice how you learn so much more about stuff other than just watches on this site? The title of the composition is a reference to athletes who win a sporting event without difficulty. But it is equally apt for the surveying of watches at Baselworld. No matter how many watches you see each day, and there are many, invariably there are ‘Easy Winners’ that come to the fore straight away, and sometimes, the easy winners are from some of the less hallowed and revered brands. Here are my ‘Easy Winners’ for the first day at Baselworld, based on the brands I visited.

Read More Here: The Easy Winners of Day 1 at Baselworld 2017: EDOX, ORIS, RADO and EBERHARD & CO. - watchuseek.com

·
Registered
271 Posts
That Oris? Seriously?

If I had the money I'd buy every one of them and treat them to a 10-lb sledgehammer.

What the hell is going on in the watch industry?
The 1917 Big Crown has a cool retro vibe. I'm also a fan of the Oris Jazz series.

I would feel no shame wearing an Oris. I don't hold brands hostage to past mistakes. I care about what they're doing now.

I'm underwhelmed by the Omega "Novelties" introduced for Baselworld this year and wearing my 1999 DeVille Co-Axial today in protest.

Omega_on_wrist.jpeg

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Like the Oris 1917 (though a bit too expensive), and like Oris watches in general, good reliable watch at an attractive price point--have one as my go to beater/tool watch (BC3).

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
The Rado Hyperchrome is a nice throwback to the 1960's. But why would they release this edition in 2017 instead of last year - 2016? Cape Horn was discovered in 1616 by Dutch navigator Willem Schouten.

And at $2,700 USD there are lots of options out there. But I am a sucker for a day/date at 6 o'clock!

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Not one of those carry any weight with me. The Rado is fine, just not my style. The Oris is a style of watch I really dislike, the Edox would be so much better were it not a day-date, and I really can't stand the unbalance subdial layout of the Eberhard.

So far Alpina and Tudor are the only ones that have put out anything that I've found remotely interesting, and I've still been unmoved to want to buy them.

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
Not one of those carry any weight with me. The Rado is fine, just not my style. The Oris is a style of watch I really dislike, the Edox would be so much better were it not a day-date, and I really can't stand the unbalance subdial layout of the Eberhard.

So far Alpina and Tudor are the only ones that have put out anything that I've found remotely interesting, and I've still been unmoved to want to buy them.
I like the Longines 1945 release too - beautiful design. Simple, but interesting. And the salmon colored dial looks like it'll be fantastic. Not sure I'd buy one - but it's definitely one of my favorite releases this year.

Longines-Heritage-1945-2-1.jpg

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
Of the four posted, the Edox and the Rado are the clear winners. Not a huge fan of the Oris - I'm in Raza's camp when it comes to that style - not for me. And it honestly seems a little too vintage. Less 'retro-cool' and more 'historical re-creationist enthusiast's prop'. The Eberhardt looks interesting - but, again, too busy for my own aesthetic tastes.

But man, that Edox. The more i look at it, the more I like it. I've been on a quasi-hunt for a good bronze watch. I love the idea of bronze on dive watches. And that delphin is looking pretty cool. I'd rather it without the day-date. But that's hardly a deal breaker.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I like the Longines 1945 release too - beautiful design. Simple, but interesting. And the salmon colored dial looks like it'll be fantastic. Not sure I'd buy one - but it's definitely one of my favorite releases this year.

View attachment 11286418
It's nice, but it's not my style of watch. Also, the subdial placement is a bit suspect, if I must nitpick.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I beg to disagree, no easy winners here. I have an Oris and have a high respect for the brand but the model in the feature does absolutely nothing for me. Eberhard made an effort but the Chrono 4 has a love it or hate it kind of aesthetic and let's just say I don't love it. The other two are respectable brands that have much better looking watches in their current lineup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts