WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few months ago, (https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=181241&highlight=fordzilla) I posted about my dilemma with my Chronomat Evo, in which the watch gained about +24/day upon purchase; after being regulated, it ran only +9/day, then stopped self winding at about a year and a half.
The watch was sent back to BUSA, who kept it for 2 months, returning it gaining about +15secs/day. BUSA requested that I keep a daily log on the watch, and return it with the log a second time. After maintaining the 10 day log, I returned it again; they expedited the watch in about 2 1/2 weeks after a phone call from Mr. Purchert of BUSA, who personally guaranteed that the watch would run within COSC specs upon its return.
The watch gained 7-8secs/day upon return.
The funny thing is that, I set the watch on my bathroom sink counter one day while showering. When I got out of the shower, I went to wipe the mirror with a towel, and inadvertantly swept the watch off of the counter with the bottom of the towel, sending it clanking to the tile floor. I was sick to my stomach when I realized it was my watch that had hit the floor. Ironically, the watch has run +2secs/day ever since!
Apparently, rather than send it back to BUSA three times, the thing to do is throw it on the floor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You probably demagnitized the movement by accidentally dropping it on the floor. Sometimes mechanical watches start to gain because they have been in a magnetic field, like electronic devices, specially on airports like metal detectors affect the hairspring inside the watch, it often helps to take it to a watchmaker and just have the movement demagnitized without opening the watch.|>

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Dang it, I have been kicking mine this whole time! LOL.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
hahah... Great story! Congrats..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You probably demagnitized the movement by accidentally dropping it on the floor. Sometimes mechanical watches start to gain because they have been in a magnetic field, like electronic devices, specially on airports like metal detectors affect the hairspring inside the watch, it often helps to take it to a watchmaker and just have the movement demagnitized without opening the watch.|>
Did you gloss over the fact that BUSA had the watch back three times?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I apparently spoke too soon. One day after my last post here, I was looking closely at my Breitling in florescent light, when I noticed tiny streaks, for lack of a better word upon the face. I sent the watch back, and received it back yesterday after nearly four weeks. I immediately noticed that the sweeping hand for my chronograph was bent, curving to the right. I then set the watch to online atomic clock, and at 19 hours, it had already gained 10 seconds.
It's on it's way back to BUSA for their FIFTH bungling attempt at "fixing" it without screwing something else up. I've also asked that my watch be replaced, but I doubt it will happen.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So you say. Would it be normal for BUSA NOT to get it right EVERY time? How many times do they need?
I cant speak for them, but most here, if not all, who have dealt with BUSA have been more than satisfied. It sounds like you either have a lemon or have just been pretty unlucky.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant speak for them, but most here, if not all, who have dealt with BUSA have been more than satisfied. It sounds like you either have a lemon or have just been pretty unlucky.
How does the watch sit through their "quality control" section for days each time, still unregulated properly or with new "damage" and still get sent back to me, 4 times?

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
13,390 Posts
How does the watch sit through their "quality control" section for days each time, still unregulated properly or with new "damage" and still get sent back to me, 4 times?
Hmmmmm.... :think: Well, as RJ indicated, most owners had been quite satisfied with BUSA service and fortunately I happen to be one of those owners. That said, I have also sent two different watches back twice each after service because of a recurring problem or a different problem. Even so, BUSA went above and beyond in their efforts to correct the problems and to their credit, they did indeed get it right even if it wasn't after the first service visit. Their representatives have always been courteous and helpful to me, although a couple of times were a day late in returning my call. Perhaps one of the reasons I have been fortunate to receive good service support is because like BUSA, I have always managed to be courteous and respectful during all my communications with them. Not once have I jumped up on a soapbox and screamed about the sheer ineptitude of the company or the service. I am indeed fortunate to own more than one watch so an extended turnaround time or repeat service visit is not going to shatter my world. Patience is not necessarily a strong suit of mine but understanding service issues is. I have noted that WUS is only one of a number of forums on which you have described your repeat problems and have generated a lot of sympathy and commiseration for your cause. No offense intended, but I just sense that you may possibly been something other than completely courteous and respectful in your communications with BUSA. Am I wrong in assuming that? Please feel free to correct me and say whatever you think is appropriate in response. May I also suggest to you that there are many other fine brands of watches from which to choose and if you remain as dissatisfied with Breitling as you appear to be, a different brand choice may be the best one for you.
Ron

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Hmmmmm.... :think: Well, as RJ indicated, most owners had been quite satisfied with BUSA service and fortunately I happen to be one of those owners. That said, I have also sent two different watches back twice each after service because of a recurring problem or a different problem. Even so, BUSA went above and beyond in their efforts to correct the problems and to their credit, they did indeed get it right even if it wasn't after the first service visit. Their representatives have always been courteous and helpful to me, although a couple of times were a day late in returning my call. Perhaps one of the reasons I have been fortunate to receive good service support is because like BUSA, I have always managed to be courteous and respectful during all my communications with them. Not once have I jumped up on a soapbox and screamed about the sheer ineptitude of the company or the service. I am indeed fortunate to own more than one watch so an extended turnaround time or repeat service visit is not going to shatter my world. Patience is not necessarily a strong suit of mine but understanding service issues is. I have noted that WUS is only one of a number of forums on which you have described your repeat problems and have generated a lot of sympathy and commiseration for your cause. No offense intended, but I just sense that you may possibly been something other than completely courteous and respectful in your communications with BUSA. Am I wrong in assuming that? Please feel free to correct me and say whatever you think is appropriate in response. May I also suggest to you that there are many other fine brands of watches from which to choose and if you remain as dissatisfied with Breitling as you appear to be, a different brand choice may be the best one for you.
Ron

When my CWSLE was having problems withg date rollover after 3 attempts I requested a new movment and they swapped the movement

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ron
I will feel free to correct you. I was, as always, courteous and respectful the first time I sent the watch in for repair. The second time, I was respectful, but assertive, and told them I was disappointed in having to send the watch back a second time.
It doesn't seem you're seeing this from my point of view, but rather only your own. I wonder how you'd see it if this were your only Breitling watch and you were on your fifth try with them.
We do look at things differently. I hardly see BUSA working on the watch a second time after they failed once, in the manufacture, and twice, when they had a chance to make it right, as "going above and beyond." I see that as only appropriate, and I would think that if I managed such a shop, I would take every step necessary to see that the second time was the last, with the brand's reputation on the line.
Yes, I'm angry, and my only recourse is making my dilemma known through the forums. I think for anyone to suggest I'm unreasonable in being angry given my circumstances, is less than objective.
I also fail to see my demeanor as a deciding factor in whether BUSA would repair the watch properly, even if I were rude.
You can bet that this last time, I explained to the customer service rep that while I recognized that it wasn't her fault personally, I was very unhappy and demanded a replacement, and one that performed within COSC specs.
I've returned other types of items (of much less retail value) for service and had positive experiences, and reported those positive experiences on boards as well.
Not once have I jumped up on a soapbox and screamed about the sheer ineptitude of the company or the service.
Nor have you experienced the level of ineptitude of the company or their service that I have. Again, I think you're refusing to see it from my point of view. Five times? (so far) Really? You may feel I have no cause to rant, but we certainly disagree. This is the sort of thing (negative feedback) one must expect with poor business practices.
Lastly, I can't afford another purchase of a high-end watch. We own both of our cars, and owe only the mortgage company, which we will be done with in the next five years. We live solidly within our means, not on credit. I'm no less of a person because of my income level, and while a big purchase may be "no big deal" to some who have a collection, it is to me. I don't care what anyone else says, a $5,000.00 watch should reflect its price tag in quality, if not corrective service.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.