WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion, what would be the one/two essential watches that every serious watch collector should own? I mean brand/model, not type.

Also, I realize that just b/c a watch is iconic or whatever doesnt mean one can afford to own it or has the desire to own it - let's leave personal preferences aside on whether you actually would choose to own that watch or not, and try to make it a little more general.

And in the interest of not getting bogged down in semantics, feel free to define the various terms in this question (such as "essential". "serious", "collector", "one", etc) as per your own interpretation

Mine would be:
- A Seiko diver (007/009/Orange Monster) -- I own this precisely for this reason
- Rolex Submariner -- I dont think i will own one yet (not until i get other pieces i like more) but this is possibly THE most iconic watches
- Omega Speedmaster -- I dont plan to own one but as chronos go, this is the benchmark

Yours?

·
Registered
15,275 Posts
Many for me. One or two? Reverso and Royal Oak to start . . .

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Has to be the Speedmaster/Submariner on level pegging depending on one's preferences. Both are glorious, iconic and most importantly fine timepieces.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Definitely agree about Seiko Diver. Cheap, robust and amazing value - you could wear this every day as a beater. Also, whilst inexpensive it is still relatively uncommon enough that you have to go out of your way to get one.

Rolex sub is certainly iconic as is the Speedy. To me, if you are going to have only one diver in your collection it would be the Seiko over the Sub because you are more likely to wear it in the water and through knocks and scrapes.

I would also throw in a nice all-rounder watch - probably either the Rolex Explorer 1 or Omega Aqua Terra.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Because there are clearly a huge number of iconic models out there, I don't think there is one watch that *should* be in every collection.
Sure, my intent wasnt to come up with some universal truism, but just various opinions.

Eg, I am actually more likely to buy a Reverso that drhr mentions above than a Sub, but it didnt make my list b/c IMO, for a lot of people, a dress watch isnt essential and even if there is, there are other credible alternatives to the Reverso. However, i can totally see why the "Reverso" would make the list.

Reactions: slcbbrown and drhr

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agree with the Seiko Diver. It is cheap, robust and represents great value - you could wear it every day even as a beater. Even though it is relatively inexpensive it is still fairly uncommon.

Also agree about the Speedy. The Sub is indeed iconic and I feel I should have one for that reason but if I could only choose one diver in my collection I would choose the Seiko because I am more likely to wear it in the water or where it would get knocked and scuffed.

I would also add an all-rounder type of watch - perhaps the Rolex Explorer 1 or Omega Aqua Terra. Wonderfully versatile pieces that are (or will be in the future) design classics.

·
Premium Member
39,769 Posts
In your opinion, what would be the one/two essential watches that every serious watch collector should own? I mean brand/model, not type.

Also, I realize that just b/c a watch is iconic or whatever doesnt mean one can afford to own it or has the desire to own it - let's leave personal preferences aside on whether you actually would choose to own that watch or not, and try to make it a little more general.

And in the interest of not getting bogged down in semantics, feel free to define the various terms in this question (such as "essential". "serious", "collector", "one", etc) as per your own interpretation

Mine would be:
- A Seiko diver (007/009/Orange Monster) -- I own this precisely for this reason
- Rolex Submariner -- I dont think i will own one yet (not until i get other pieces i like more) but this is possibly THE most iconic watches
- Omega Speedmaster -- I dont plan to own one but as chronos go, this is the benchmark

Yours?

Hard to argue with those three (even though I don't own any of them). I also don't own a G-Shock, but I'd like to throw that into the mix too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The ESSENTIALS?!

at least ... a pilot, a sub, a jump hour, a microtor, 60s omega, minute repeater, perpetual calendar, tourbillon (dun mind 3-axis), a trench watch with hunter case, an enamel dial watch, exotic watch (with moving parts), plus a mechanical singing bird, maybe an hourglass, and last but not least a sundial..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
A Submariner of some kind and a Speedmaster of some kind. Also, a digital watch of some kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
19,999 Posts
Hard to argue with those three (even though I don't own any of them). I also don't own a G-Shock, but I'd like to throw that into the mix too.
Guess I'm not the first to say G-Shock.

It represents the peak in horology, really. Wristwatches have always tried to be more accurate and more durable than table clocks and pocket watches. Now, for a price in the two-figure range, you can get a little packet of technology that will always charge its own battery, synchronize itself with one of the world's atomic clocks, and survive beyond anything that its wearer would encounter.

·
Registered
23,520 Posts
Hard call as everyone has different tastes.

Mine would be.

Rolex Steel Submariner.
Panerai base dial Luminor.
Seiko Divers.
JLC Reverso.
Patek Calatrava. (Well you gotta dream eh)

·
Registered
63 Posts
speedy and sub are the obvious suggestions but I think you've called it right with the Seiko diver. Whether you're a college kid with one watch or a millionaire with a number 5 figure watches, there's a home in any collection for a seiko diver. Might just be my next purchase :)

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Collections would be very uninspiring if everyone had the same watches in them. I don't believe that you can't be a "serious" collector if you don't have a certain piece.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I agree with your big three and would generalize the rolex to sub, explorer, GMT.
Next I would add a triple date moon phase from iwc or a. Lange and Sohne.

·
Registered
36,280 Posts
G-Shock for obvious reasons. Everyone needs a tough, no worries, grab & go anywhere timepiece. Plenty of styles and colors to choose from.

GW-M5610SD

DW-6900

GW-2310FB

GW-9400 Rangeman

GW-3000M

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Mine would be:

Yours?
your 3 essentials can make you call it a day already. my 3 essentials are a gshock, a seiko diver and a rolex sub.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts