WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided recently that I might throw my Le Cheminant diver on eBay and sell it to fund a Seiko 6139 (the gold "pogue" of course!) that I'd quite like to get my hands on.. And picked it up from my watchmaker on Friday to have a think about it.

After ripping off the horrible leather strap and polishing the case and crystal and seeing how the lume has changed from the green it was when I got it originally to the cream it is now.. Perhaps from being in complete darkness for four odd months.. And fitting a leather strap I bought for it when I first got it I'm kind of reconsidering my options.

The pros:
Its actually vintage..
It resembles a 5513 Submariner.
It's an ETA auto.
The cream lume is really nice.
The dial overall is really nice.
The size isn't bad at 41mm including the crown.
The blue faded bezel gives it the same look as everyone with a vintage 5513 wishes they had.

The cons..
The movement is in a horrendous state.
The crown has separated and needs a new crown and case tube.
The movement is so bad the seconds hand doesn't even move.
The rotor is floppy.

My watchmaker was going to service it at a cost of $300. That includes full movement service, case ultrasonic cleaning, new crown and tube, resealed and pressure tested.

After buying it for $330au and then spending $300 to service it i don't think I'd ever get that amount back if I ever sold it post service. While it's an awesome watch.. It's not necessarily desirable, iconic or at all known about. So I'm not sure whether to cut my losses now and sell it for something else I'd like that would be more collectable and valuable in the long run.

The other option is to find a running movement but as we all know, they still need to be serviced regardless..

Give me your thoughts my fellow vintage friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe the rotor is signed at all, however i did have the same thought and scoured the Ranfft website the other night looking for ETA movements with the same size, height, hand sizes but there was an "F" and a "T" value that i couldn't work out.. they were slightly different. The hand sizes seemed to be the same and the movement heights were mostly, if not, the same.

I thought about buying a working / NOS movement off ebay and at around $100 AU it's 1/3rd the cost of the service but then it's still 40 years old and will need doing.. plus the crown now being three separate pieces there's a little extra needing to be done than a simple movement service.

I wish i could do services myself.. but that's sort of besides the point.

My question is.. do you guys think it's worth spending more on it.. or sell up where i'll be breaking even on it to get something else? What would you guys do? Have any of you done this before?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's a brevet 503305 case so it's going to be worth something.
I think you should be able to scour the internet and find a complete ETA2789. If it runs don't service it and wear it for a couple years and service it after?

Paying 300 AU might be a bit much

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't have any Brevet stampings inside it, as that was the first thing i looked for. Still, it resembles one so i'm sure it likely is one..

I also did consider finding a running movement and throwing that into it and leaving it for a few years as you say and disregard servicing it straight away.

Unfortunately that's the cost around here.. although to be honest i haven't asked any other watchmakers what they charge. I've got a good relationship with my watchmaker and i kinda feel like it wouldn't be right to do business behind his back with someone else.. even if it does save me money. I'd sooner rather buy another movement and some tools and have him install the movement while i buy a 20 buck ultrasonic cleaner and give it a go myself on the original movement. I mean hey, what would i have to lose? Not too much really..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your thoughts on the keep and spend more on it possibly above it's worth vs sell it and break even and buy something else?

I've always been one of those people who've been able to break even or profit on everything i own.. the idea of spending what i paid for it again to get it usable makes me feel like i'd have to keep it forever otherwise i'd end up losing money if i ever sold it. In saying that, i bet if it was serviced and working it may very well be worth double? Things to think about..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good point. I do quite like it however at the same time there's other things I want. I guess I'll just let it run on eBay and if it sells it sells. I don't think I'd regret selling it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
You have a tough choice. There is value in sentiment and nuance that you could be missing. There are a lot of people who are interested in the Submariner look at realistic prices. Take a look at the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage. These watches trade all day for the total sum that you would be investing in yours. The Ocean One Vintage is a beautiful piece that easily stands on its own and addresses a niche in the market. That said, It doesn't carry the authentic, hard earned patina that your watch has in great abundance. I think that if your watch was repaired and ultimately presented as a vintage alternative to members of the tribute community, it would be well received.

As it stands now, in its current inoperable condition, you would likely be selling at a loss.

My vote... Seek out the opinions of people who discuss tribute watches. Multiple threads can easily be found. If you like what you hear... Fix it, wear it, enjoy it. Consider your enjoyment to be the interest on your investment. If your enjoyment wains, market it correctly and sell it to the right buyer.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Great advise from Cd ,Nick honestly your watch has a lot going for it,more so than a few teething problems your having at the moment.Hang on to it is my advise,put it somewhere dry until you decide what to do with,it will be no worse for wear.

I also think you could halve that 100$ figure for getting another movement off the bay,this one looks ok and is running.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...-or-repairs-/181830850450?hash=item2a55f69792

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I'd be inclined to find a donor movement and get it running myself, it obviously appealed to you when you bought it so why the change of heart? if it's the cost, well I for one have sunk more money into a watch than it's worth and I bet I'm not the only one here. So just hang fire on the decision and see how you feel in a few days or so.

Matt

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I also agree with the above post recommending to keep it as it is and store it for a long while - you never know in what you will run into in the future. The case, movement or anything may be needed.

If you post it for sale with its faults explained you may get 50-80USD in a good day and that money won't make a difference in your watch endeavors.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the thoughts guys! I'm going to keep an eye on a working movement for it and if i can at least it'll bring it's value up. It's listed on ebay so i'll just leave it and see how it plays out.. I really do like it but i really want to get a Seiko 6139 or make an offer on the 6105-8110 (cushion diver) my watchmaker has.. i really really like the 6105's so i guess i'll see what happens.

I thought it was a little small also at 40mm but when i put the new strap on it and gave it a go on the wrist it wears REALLY well.. so perhaps it not selling would be an indication that i should hang onto it..

It's certainly not a case of i'm not interested in it anymore.. it's just that there's others i'd really like to get. Being a student means i'm not made of money as they say and selling one to get another seemed the way to go.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Being a student means i'm not made of money as they say and selling one to get another seemed the way to go.

It can be hard and limiting to choices being on a budget,so have you thought of putting some of your fabricating skills to good use? ....if i remember correctly you made a nice watch box for your trench watches a while back..how about making up something like a watch display case with a glass lid and selling that on the bay to fund your purchases?

I`ve had to make a few sacrifices myself in the past to get a watch i`m interested in,and i know it can be hard,but there is more than one way to get around a low budget if your canny.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh believe me, i'm a wizard when it comes to doing stuff on a budget. My other hobby, hot rods / old cars.. man some of the local guys around here don't know how i've done it. I've managed to put together a completely steel bodied, 100% original Ford parts 1940's era Model A roadster.. on a complete shoestring budget. I've definitely got a knack for getting all the things i want without outlaying terribly much.

Aside from my wizardry.. i used to do some metalworking jobs for guys but lately i haven't had the time with uni and stuff going on.. i'd love to do some more but it's only really when the jobs are there to be done.

I've just sold off an old spotlight so some deniros are heading my way and i'll give that 10 buck watch a go with the working movement.. if i can snag that cheap that'll definitely get the Le Cheminant working and either on the wrist or jumping the value up considerably.

I don't think it's a case of tastes changing either, because i really do like it and i love the Submariner look.. i guess i just want one more than the other.

I have thought about doing that but i don't know what other people would like so whatever i make it's kind of discretionary. Hmm. I'll have to think about that some more when i have more time up my sleeve.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
get the gold dialed 6139. its not a tribute to anything. its completely unique and a testament to Seikos innovative design as well as the whole 'which-is-the-first-auto-chronograph' controversy (I tend to lean towards Seiko but understand the Heuer perspective). Plus-there is the whole Nasa-geek angle to the Pogue which makes it even ore interesting as a collector. But then I'm biased as I have 2 6139s. Silver and gold. But I do enjoy them. I also collected many vintage divers over the years and I suppose I have had my fill of the more typical black dialed, black bezel models. Not that I want to sell my Zodiac Seawolf, O&W Precision, SM , etc. But the 6139, imo, is going to increase in both popularity and value and better examples will be harder to come by a decent prices so there really is no better time then now if you really like the 'rogue'. I can't advise you on selling or keeping the diver as it would depend how 'attached' to it I was. Some watches I never really formed an attachment to even though I actively sought them out. (e.g. a gold '69 constellation) and I would have a much easier time selling then say my Seiko 6138 'panda' which I don't wear that much but feel its too close (in terms of Seiko history) to the 6139 to part with. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to agree with you mate. I really like the look of the Le Cheminant however i'm no where near as attached to it as say my 6309, or my orange 7548..

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's a nice watch. But the service cost sounds like it's a bit on the high side. I used to feel bad about going behind my watchmaker's back, until i uncovered better skilled and better value for money watchmakers out there. Plus i've now got a couple of watchmakers i can go to, and i've learned a bit about there strengths and weaknesses, so i choose the jobs each will get. And when one is away, then the other is usually around, so it's good to have options...

Ben.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I agree on the watchmaker front, I have three I trust but the level of experience dictates what jobs they get and how much they charge.

Matt

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
There is a lot documentation and parts for your movement. While not an ideal choice for an initial immersion into watch repair there are worse ones.

In low cost watches one is really constricted in their trading if they can't perform elementary servicing/replacement of parts.

FRS (floppy rotor syndrom) can be cured if you have the right tools but the autowind bridge can usually be replaced as a unit for common calibers. So you can invest in self training, tools and consumables or you can kick the can down the road and limit yourself to the purchase of new or recently serviced inexpensive watches or more expensive watches where service is only a minor portion of replacement cost.

For certain personalities wearing a watch that one has personally revived is very gratifying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts