WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my question is a simple one. Does such a watch exist that is exclusive (limited run or special edition) but also affordable. Doesn't anyone want to have a watch that almost no one else has?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Alternately get a watch produced in small numbers and not sold, or at least not sold widely, in the US (or country of residency).

For example: I doubt I will ever see another Seiko SARB017 in the wild here. Same goes for most Orient Stars, Certinas, Midos, etc. Similarly, even the AD I tried couldn't get the Tissot PR 516 GL I bought for just over $400 new. A watch can be rare without being artificially limited.

Though in practice, you are unlikely to see anything outside of cheap quartz or Rolex/Tag/Omega/Breitling on anyone's wrist in the wild.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Limited to me should be like 100 or less.Now you probably won't run into anyone else owning that watch.Give it a weird name then jack up the price,this is probably the reason i enjoy LE's.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Just buy the forum watch. That way you have an affordable, ultra limited watch every time they release one in F72.

EDIT: a decent one too! I'm still sorry I didn't get last year's moonphase watch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm new here and I don't know of this forum watch, any more info?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'm new here and I don't know of this forum watch, any more info?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Every year the Chinese Mechanical Sub-Forum designs and vote's on various styles to come out with a mockup for a watch they make a limited number of. This year it's a dual crown diver. The voting has been over for some time now but the build process is only beginning. It should be a few months before the watches are shipped. If you're interested head over here and take a look:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f461/2012-wus-cmw-se-project-design-thread-reloaded-730750.html

As for the definitive/exclusive affordable watch that you won't see anyone else wearing I'd have to say anything from the late Noah Fuller. You basically have a 100% chance of finding a WIS attached to one if you ever see one in the wild. I myself saw many months ago, a man wearing a modded monster on a zulu in eastern LI and we talked for a bit. One of the only true WIS I've ever met. So IMO anything modded but especially a Noah Fuller mod should be an exclusive affordable.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The Chinese Mechanicals forum projects are very good options for getting a truly unique, limited edition watch. There are other watch forum projects watches out there as well. The Christopher Ward forum does a watch every year: Christopher Ward Forum • View forum - Forum Limited Editions I think you can still get in on the 2013 process.
There was a project by a Polish watch forum to do a 50 fathoms homage dial for use on a Seiko. It is done now, but if you look around, you may find others.

Christopher Ward also does many of their watches as Limited Editions, usually in runs of 300, 500 or some number significant to the watch. I don't think they jack up the price for them; it is just a bonus to help sell unusual variations on their watches. I've got one and I've certainly never seen it on anyone else.

You could also have your own watch made by choosing exactly the components that you want. Dagaz, Yobokies, Motor City Watch Works, Getat and Wilson Watch Works all do custom watches. Fewsome has a nifty web engine for putting together their options, including being able to design your own dial.
Here are ome discussions here of a couple of these:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/anyone-ever-bought-watch-fewsome-com-make-your-own-watch-675448.html
https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/pics-your-getat-watches-322048.html

Reactions: aussiejake

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I honestly never worry about wearing the same watch as other people. There are so many watches out there, and so few people who actually wear them, and those who do often wear watches they've owned for years. The only watches I own that I've also seen in the wild are very common, readily-available things like the Casio DW5600E.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Benay148 said:
Doesn't anyone want to have a watch that almost no one else has?
Some brands are much less likely to be encountered on someone else's wrist... Eterna, Universal Geneve, Girard Perregaux, for example. Think of those brands that are rarely discussed even on watch forums.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Russian/Soviet watches. Since most aren't being made anymore, the ones that are left are exclusive. Since there's not a huge demand for them, they're still relatively affordable.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. A watch need not be absolutely exclusive to be exclusive, it can also be de-facto exclusive. There are plenty of gorgeous watches beginning around $200 and going on up that you will never see anyone wearing but you if you choose to strap one on because of where they are produced and marketed and only someone who is WIS/WUS would ferret them out. How many Seiko Cocktail Time will you ever see compared to Tag or Movado? What about Seagull 171 or Orient Bambino vs. your average Citizen mall watch? Being selective can be the same as being exclusive because so few other people are selective.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts