WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I can use my iPhone to find out the next high tide and if I really wanted I could take the Submariner surfing, try doing that with a bloody Patek Phillippe!
Or your iPhone for that matter.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
+1 except for Submariner it was Explorer 1. Rest in toto. Great thread. We are, it appears, got hooked to Rolex same way. I thought I was a minority case!! At least not that common a case as if this is THE WAY to embrace Rolex.
I find that it's pretty common.

Many start out with less-expensive options when they first start getting interested in watches. You often see defensive comments about how these typically ETA- or ETA-clone-based assemblies are "just as good" as Rolex. Walt Odets' discredited review of the 14270 Explorer — which he later renounced — will certainly be referenced many times.

So the budding watch enthusiast typically gets something from Steinhart or Spooginar or some other meaningless parts assembler, and thinks how much savvier he is than those suckers who are just paying for the name. I mean, the specifications are similar, they look pretty much the same, and the in-house thing is just a marketing ploy. But the plagiarized watches rarely satisfy for long; there's still something missing.

Then the cognitive dissonance starts; how can so many people with nice watch collections respect and own Rolex? Surely, they must know that it's all hype, right? After a few furtive glances beyond the impressionable-new-guy hangouts, it starts looking like there might be something more to the Rolex thing. (Although in my case, it was meeting and discussing with actual watchmakers that made me re-evaluate my opinion of the company.)

At some point, most watch folks seem to realize that they're simply unbeatable watches over the long haul, and they're made to exemplary quality standards starting from raw materials in Switzerland — not the weaselly technically-"Swiss Made" designation that others use, while cutting corners by outsourcing parts produced by cheap overseas labour.

Rolex's design and manufacturing integrity are exemplary. There's actual substance behind the marketing; it turns out that they're actually hardcore watchmakers. Are they objectively 5X-10X better than the generic stuff? Of course not. However, they're subtly better in so many ways, and that's what counts.

Pretty much every watch looks good and works well fresh out of the factory. But no others tend to do so over decades of daily normal wear quite like Rolex; that's what makes them special.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
+1 except for Submariner it was Explorer 1. Rest in toto. Great thread. We are, it appears, got hooked to Rolex same way. I thought I was a minority case!! At least not that common a case as if this is THE WAY to embrace Rolex.

Many start out with less-expensive options when they first start getting interested in watches. You often see defensive comments about how these typically ETA- or ETA-clone-based assemblies are "just as good" as Rolex. Walt Odets' discredited review of the 14270 Explorer ? which he later renounced ? will certainly be referenced many times.

So the budding watch enthusiast typically gets something from Steinhart or Spooginar or some other meaningless parts assembler, and thinks how much savvier he is than those suckers who are just paying for the name. I mean, the specifications are similar, they look pretty much the same, and the in-house thing is just a marketing ploy. But the plagiarized watches rarely satisfy for long; there's still something missing.

Then the cognitive dissonance starts; how can so many people with nice watch collections respect and own Rolex? Surely, they must know that it's all hype, right? After a few furtive glances beyond the impressionable-new-guy hangouts, it starts looking like there might be something more to the Rolex thing. (Although in my case, it was meeting and discussing with actual watchmakers that made me re-evaluate my opinion of the company.)

At some point, most watch folks seem to realize that they're simply unbeatable watches over the long haul, and they're made to exemplary quality standards starting from raw materials in Switzerland ? not the weaselly technically-"Swiss Made" designation that others use, while cutting corners by outsourcing parts produced by cheap overseas labour.

Rolex's design and manufacturing integrity are exemplary. There's actual substance behind the marketing; it turns out that they're actually hardcore watchmakers. Are they objectively 5X-10X better than the generic stuff? Of course not. However, they're subtly better in so many ways, and that's what counts.

Pretty much every watch looks good and works well fresh out of the factory. But no others tend to do so over decades of daily normal wear quite like Rolex; that's what makes them special.
Yes perhaps you're right about Rolex. But my journey towards Rolex moved after having Patek Philippe and couple of Jaeger-LeCoultre watches among few other mechanical watches from Ulysses Nardin, Omega and Longines vintage watches.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

I swear, I don't know what happened, I bought a used 214270 from a forum member and next thing you know I blacked out and when I came to there was a pretty little AD bag on the table.

Seriously though, just two years ago I was posting wrist shots wearing my Glycine Combat (my first automatic watch).

I've been through Breitling, JLC, Sinn, Grand Seiko, JDM Seiko, Omega and now after consolidating I'm down to these two plus a Seiko 5 beater and a digital Casio.

I wish someone would've told me I would end up just collecting Rolex and i could've saved a hefty sum of money.

These two are probably the only ones I'll have in my collection for a long time l.

I plan to add only a Speedmaster Professional and I still have hopes I might come across a Sinn 809 diver one day.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Many start out with less-expensive options when they first start getting interested in watches. You often see defensive comments about how these typically ETA- or ETA-clone-based assemblies are "just as good" as Rolex. Walt Odets' discredited review of the 14270 Explorer — which he later renounced — will certainly be referenced many times.

At some point, most watch folks seem to realize that they're simply unbeatable watches over the long haul, and they're made to exemplary quality standards starting from raw materials in Switzerland — not the weaselly technically-"Swiss Made" designation that others use, while cutting corners by outsourcing parts produced by cheap overseas labour.

guess you have never heard of seiko.......

·
Premium Member
15,587 Posts
Pretty much where I am at bought a exp II and was quite pleased now looking at master gmt II but also love that Breguet type XX

This is a bit of an addiction but knowing that you won't get clobbered on resale in the event you sale does make it a plus but not a requirement but sure does not hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Seiko makes so many watches, a ton are ugly but many are also really beautiful. Strictly in terms of looks, I'd take an Alpinist over an Explorer II any day of the week.
Oh wait, we're being serious? Fine, some Seikos are OK-looking, too.

And even strictly on the basis of looks, I'm fine with taking the E2; you can keep the Alpinist. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Was in denial for a long time...

Tried every brand except Rolex.

Traded an IWC for my first was an Polar Explorer II.

Traded the EXP II for a 1675.

Caught the Rolex vintage bug.....

Traded the 1675 to a 5513.

Traded 5513 for another 5513...

Sold the 5513.

I couldn't take the crown anymore. I could tell it was noticeable in a different way than any other watch brand. Before I was used to receiving comments like that's a nice watch or that watch it cool... With Rolex I got... So how much did that cost? What makes it so expensive?

..... Fast forward a few years....

I'm currently researching and checking the market for a 116600..

And maybe way down the road.. The Ceramic Daytona has caught my eye. And when a watch catches my eye.. It will haunt me until I own it.

Damn you Rolex for making such classic watches!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
This is unnervingly accurate. Started with a 16570 Polar, got hooked on the crown, and now I've sold my SMPc to fund a (you guessed it) 14060M two-liner. Still hunting that one and eager to move into the "depression" phase in your analysis. Nicely done.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Same order I purchased my two Rolex, I however always wanted one and always thought high of the brand for their history and classic design.

First Rolex

Second..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ha, nice. And yes, relatable. I just recently bought a beater 1018 and had it rehabbed by RSC (including changing to a black dial) for my, er, sixth Rolex. 1675, 1016, 5513, 16550, 1018 (silver dial, original condition) and 1018 (new black dial, new handset). I rarely wear anything BUT Rolex these days.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts