WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so let me first start this off with - the Rangeman has become my number one watch. It literally has not come off my wrist day, night nothing since I have gotten it. I think that it is THE flagship of G Shock and as close to a perfect watch that Casio could make I believe they have made here. I read reviews and a few people that say the button presses without trying etc - I have not found that to be the case myself yet. I have run through the gambit and it is performing WAY above my expectations.

Quick Stopwatch function - brilliant - LOVE IT
Return to TimeKeeping mode - Brilliant love it
Looks - love it
Button placement - yep again I love it.

I would saw that in my line up current and past this one surpasses even my Frogs. Yes I feel it is that good of a watch. Are the two a bit different in their functions - yes of course the frog logs and has dive timer functions the Rangeman does ABC.

However for an every day wearing watch - from fit to function this Rangeman (the GW-9400-1JF Japan model with Carbon) is my perfect watch. It will be getting the MOST wrist time for quote a while and I will be adding more than one (after I get the Gulfmaster).

So what is wrong? This is a person preference and one that is not a real flaw but where the last bit of attention to detail would have left me NOTHING bad to say about the Rangeman - so what is it?

So I noticed this right out of the box and would have scratched my head had I saw the video below.

When pressing the function button to roll through the ABC functions, to me it should have gone like this -

1 beep = Alt
2 beeps = Baro
3 beeps = Compass

Nice ABC order in the proper alpha format - however it is not like that -

1 beep = Alt
2 beeps = Compass???
3 beeps = Baro???

DERP

Anyways this is a very small minute detail - but it is the ONLY thing I can find wrong with the thing....

I know stop being so CDO....but hey we realize we are all in addiction and sick :) and embrace each other right????!?!? :-s:-sb-)b-)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I get the accidental button presses but only when doing certain exercises at the gym. So I stopped wearing it to the gym. The thing you find to be a flaw doesn't bother me at all, so I guess we are all different. Casio can't please everyone, but the Rangeman is still a great watch and featurewise the best g-shock all things considered.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely dead on Kung - this was more of a poke joke that if that is all that we can find to pick in - Casio has done an outstanding job creating a watch that has exceeded expectations in many many ways :)

I have yet to get those button depresses but then again I don't wear mine at the gym.

Sent from my i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
Well yeah, you are right, but I wouldn't call it a flaw. (maybe I'd call it a "design feature" -- if an unwanted one) And btw, you probably have discovered that the last ABC function used will be the first one that comes up the next time you press the ABC button once. Ex - you last used the compass - the next time the ABC button is pressed the compass will be the first function you see.

But I totally agree, great watch! (could be why I have 5 of them!) lol

Enjoy yours despite the "ACB…"! :-d

Reactions: brvheart

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T4P - yeop!! I hear ya! And yes I will add at least two more - maybe 3...I love it that much.

Like I said above - it really was meant as a light hearted joke that if that is the only thing we find with it - WOW congrats to Casio.

You know it really makes me go - hmmmm I don't know how they will ever top this...it's that good.

Hmmmm my wheels just started spinning.

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts
T4P - yeop!! I hear ya! And yes I will add at least two more - maybe 3...I love it that much.

Like I said above - it really was meant as a light hearted joke that if that is the only thing we find with it - WOW congrats to Casio.

You know it really makes me go - hmmmm I don't know how they will ever top this...it's that good.

Hmmmm my wheels just started spinning.

…With all this talk of Rangeman love (wait, that doesn't sound quite right! lol), I wouldn't feel right unless I posted a pic of my current favorite Ranger -- the one I've been wearing all day. :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I use the 'Mute' feature so this is not a problem for me; what I do appreciate is that when I use the 'barometer setting' it always returns to that setting when going back from all the 'time functions'.

I use the barometer the most of all the setting using the "B' button.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I thought i was gonna read about another broken lug problem again hehehe =)

the only thing that keep me away from this great rangeman is my wrist size and i already got G9300 mudman.. since i dont go outdoor often then the ABC wont be essential features for me... i'm really tempted with the positive display protrek 3000, but for almost $400 in my country, i havent pull the trigger.

always good to see people finding a G that he really like =)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I guess if you think about it, the Japanese language does not utilize the Western alphabetical system. Having the Altimeter, Barometer, and Compass in that alphabetical order wouldn't have been something that would have made common sense to their engineers.

But also considering that their books are read from back to front and right to left as compared to what most Westerners are familiar with, whose to say which order is the most logical? For all we know, it could have been arranged as Compass, Altimeter, Barometer as well, just because. ;-)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got my Rangeman today. I can totally accept the button logic because that can be easily learned and gotten used to.

The biggest flaw in my opinion is the inability to use the backlight in conjunction with active sensor functions. Specifically the compass. You cannot take or check a compass bearing at night using the backlight. Huge flaw

·
Registered
518 Posts
Seems like it would be ABC for button presses, but I'd imagine, or hope, that there was actual statistical research done on the part of Casio in which they found all likelihood of use for people out in the field with similar kinds of watches. Then again, Casio moves to the beat of its own drum.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
I love the rangeman, imo the best looking G, yes i think my green ranger is the nicest looking G ever made, no issues with the functions, but the button pressing on the wrist is a problem, i do it all the time, its not the best design, but i love the watch, and at the prices they are selling for now certainly makes them the best band for buck Gs there are imo.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Personally, I find the order the most useful as this is the priority in which I have use for those 3 functions when outdoors. I do check altitude most, sometimes need compass and very rarely barometer.
So to me it makes perfect sense!
Also ABC only spells those 3 functions in english. Maybe in some other languages.. But in german, for example, compass is spelled with a "K". German word for Altitude can have different first letters but never an "A". So from an international point of view, there is no logical reason for putting them in the ABC order. From an english (or french) point of view I can see how that would seem to make sense.
The real trick I find is what has been mentioned, that the Rangeman "remembers and returns to" the previously used ABC function...
Anyways as most will know, I can be counted amongst the big Rangeman fans and am using all of mine a lot!

·
Registered
154 Posts
My only gripe with the Rangeman is it doesn't curve around the wrist, apart from that it is a terrific looking G-Shock. If only they added the wrist fin ala GW7900.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
only real "flaw" I find in rangeman is that no time is shown in barometer mode,and baro mode is used the most.....wish it was like prw 2000/prg 240 where time is shown in every mode including baro mode.
as for some people saying that not being able to use light and compass sensor reading together is a flaw,i disagree with them big time....you are getting a g shock watch in which you dont need to adjust time ever nor you need to change battery ever at a price not more than other brands ABC watches ,and still you complain about such minor things?if they let go of solar power than they can make a watch which can use light and compass reading together.but will it be worth it?when i am using a compass in digital watch i need a constant source of light on the watch face,so i never use watch,s own light which lasts 3 seconds or so.so its not a big matter for me.
as for baro and altimeter they both work fine with light being used simultaneously.
so everyone in outdoor has a torch and i frankly use torch at night rather than watch light during hikes.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Rangeman is pretty much perfect as it is for me personally. Maybe size bothers some, but the design is something special, can't get bored with it |> Such solid, quality made watch, defenetly worth its money.

It's on the second place on the list ''best value for money g-shock'', right after DW-5600E :-d

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
People always ask me, "Nemo, what are the flaws of that near to perfect G-Shock a.k.a the Rangeman you have just sold with almost no regrets ?" and I always answer, "I'm glad you asked that question."
Simple: smallish digits and the deep "eye". I was not able to notice any valuable information on that eye. Pure waste of space, really. Its only utility is to warn you a 1000 hours stopwatch is actually running in the back. (1000 hours ? Come on Casio ! 35 years ago my first LCD Monditime watch, beyond 24 hours, was able to split them into days...) and if you push the compass button and good luck to spot the microscopic lines supposedly intuitive...
Also that über stylized bezel was a lint magnet.
For the rest the GW9400 is a great G-Shock, I loved mine for almost one year but then the romance was over.

Cheers
Nemo

1 - 20 of 47 Posts