WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of us in the know consider the DOXA SUB to be the King of the Dive Watches. For a mix of function, form, and nostalgia, the SUB is unbeatable in the deep. It’s a time-tested recipe:

• Orange, Black, or Silver dial (with the occasional celebrated exception)
  • Unique and perfectly engineered no-deco table bezel
  • The dwarfed hour hand that knows its role
  • High contrast hands and markers with bright lume
  • Beautiful beads of rice style bracelet with a diving clasp
Yes, these are the things that have made the SUB great since the mid-late 1960s as a function-first design that is more beautiful for its excellence of purpose than for its brushed and polished surfaces.

And yet, I’ve been thinking. These days it’s no longer really about that excellence of purpose. When we buy a SUB today, we are buying the FORM of that functional package that once was created, marketed, and sold as a legitimate tool, largely unchanged for 50 years. And there’s nothing wrong with that. However (get ready for a dose of real-talk)…

Even though DOXA likes to say they make tools for divers, as a diver myself, I can tell you that in my opinion this is a bit of a half-truth ("oh snap, did he say that on the official forum?"). A SUB is (nearly) as functional for a diver as it ever was (where are you, oh lovely Expandro?), but the trouble is that when looked at from a purely diver-functional standpoint, today’s SUB is a backup at best and obsolete at worst. Again, there is nothing wrong with this. I love the SUB for what it is, and I don’t need to pretend it’s something more. I don’t even wear mine in the water ("ok, now this guy’s just trolling!”), but that doesn’t mean I don’t have great affection for it, or plan to even buy another.

But I’m not writing to bash the current SUB. The point I’m trying to make is this: the next DOXA diver really actually COULD be something more. I believe the mechanical dive watch still has unexplored potential as a legitimate tool for even modern divers, and DOXA has a big opportunity to do again what made it great the first go-round: innovate in this space via total dedication to creating the most functional tool for the job that they can. It doesn’t even have to be a SUB as we know it ("gasp!”)(“I wish he would stop sub-texting himself…”).

Let’s go to the drawing board, shall we? Here’s a list of features/innovations for which I have real, legitimate use cases while diving:

• Bring back the expanding/contracting clasp! I can’t believe Tudor is eating your lunch on this front with the Pelagos, DOXA, and it was your brilliant idea to begin with!
  • Fully lumed dial
  • Bubble depth gauge like the old Squale Profundus/Profondus, which in combination with the no-deco bezel would make the watch 100% more usable as a self-contained backup.
  • Chrono with central minutes or central seconds, with pushers that can be activated underwater (as on the 300 T-Graph)
  • Dedicated 3-minute safety stop timer/sub-register. Does your computer drive you crazy by counting your stops only in whole minutes? Boy mine sure does, and it’s the worst.
  • Nitrox MOD/Best Mix table engraved on the caseback from 32-40% O2 (intended for reference before you splash, of course)
  • An optional old-school strap compass (backup, for sure)
  • Some kind of sequential counter similar to what you’d use at a running track for counting laps, but here for counting kicks, breaths, or say, nudibranchs!
  • Power reserve indicator (as on the 4000T) is a great safety feature, but could probably be moved to the caseback for pre-dive checks.
  • Not exactly a feature, but some kind of conservation partnership that helps secure our big blue world for future diving generations would be a great plus.
Calling all divers, share your thoughts and additions! Tell DOXA what kind of tool we’d love to carry with us beneath the waves. Or just tee off on my heretical rantings, either one. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 for the expanding clasp, but let's remember an analog dive watch will never compete with an actual dive computer, so why bother trying to make it one?
An excellent question and well put, my friend. I can see three reasons to create the kind of watch I’m referring to above.

1) a serious diver’s mantra should be “two is one, one is none.” In the water, redundancy is a big deal, even if it’s just enough to serve in a pinch (depending on how you dive)

2) This might beg the question why one wouldn’t then buy two computers, and tech divers do, but I think there are a couple of these things that would actually be nicer on a watch, or wouldn’t work on a computer well at all, like the ability to reference a table for hypotheticals/general context during the dive.

3) The biggest reason honestly is that hey, it’s still an awesome Swiss watch you can wear and love every day, show your friends and family and share with your fellow WIS crowd. It’s not a computer no, just a more functional dive watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
An excellent question and well put, my friend. I can see three reasons to create the kind of watch I’m referring to above.

1) a serious diver’s mantra should be “two is one, one is none.” In the water, redundancy is a big deal, even if it’s just enough to serve in a pinch (depending on how you dive)

2) This might beg the question why one wouldn’t then buy two computers, and tech divers do, but I think there are a couple of these things that would actually be nicer on a watch, or wouldn’t work on a computer well at all, like the ability to reference a table for hypotheticals/general context during the dive.

3) The biggest reason honestly is that hey, it’s still an awesome Swiss watch you can wear and love every day, show your friends and family and share with your fellow WIS crowd. It’s not a computer no, just a more functional dive watch!

Nice write up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very interesting topic, Im not against improving the tool aspect of the watch as long as any “improvements” dont affect the classic vintage aesthetics of the watch. I would be against adding anything which could upset the classic Doxa charisma, but bringing back an improved expandro is a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

I agree with SOHL on every point...so DOXA bring it on...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

I agree with SOHL on every point...so DOXA bring it on...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting topic, Im not against improving the tool aspect of the watch as long as any “improvements” dont affect the classic vintage aesthetics of the watch. I would be against adding anything which could upset the classic Doxa charisma, but bringing back an improved expandro is a no brainer.
To me, this is definitely the tough part. Doxa’s aesthetic identity today is 100% centered on that vintage vibe. To move away from that right now would probably be a mistake. We’re still in the thick of a serious vintage reissue/fauxtina craze and I don’t think we’ve crested the peak yet.

But one day we will. And then it’ll be a race to see which watch brands will be the ones to offer something totally new, exciting, functional and beautiful.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yowza! I'd settle just for better lume, a decent power reserve (of the three Doxas I've owned they seem to run out of steam pretty quick), a factory bezel repainting scheme for those who want such a thing, and bring back the more comfortable Hershey straps. But I'm not a diver, what do I know?

·
Registered
183 Posts
To me, this is definitely the tough part. Doxa’s aesthetic identity today is 100% centered on that vintage vibe. To move away from that right now would probably be a mistake. We’re still in the thick of a serious vintage reissue/fauxtina craze and I don’t think we’ve crested the peak yet.

But one day we will. And then it’ll be a race to see which watch brands will be the ones to offer something totally new, exciting, functional and beautiful.
The kind of innovation that developed the HRV, highly visible dials and the expanding bracelet needs to once again be part of the Doxa DNA. There most certainly are ways to incorporate updates without upsetting the aesthetics of the classic design, it only requires innovation and the desire to do so.

Yowza! I'd settle just for better lume, a decent power reserve (of the three Doxas I've owned they seem to run out of steam pretty quick), a factory bezel repainting scheme for those who want such a thing, and bring back the more comfortable Hershey straps. But I'm not a diver, what do I know?
Right on! Better lume, greater power reserve along with an expanding bracelet are exactly the first steps which should be addressed.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I dive with my watches. I would be in favor of the following:

• Bring back the expanding/contracting clasp!
  • Fully lumed dial
  • Power reserve indicator (as on the 4000T)

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
3,822 Posts
I dive with my watches. I would be in favor of the following:

• Bring back the expanding/contracting clasp!
  • Fully lumed dial
  • Power reserve indicator (as on the 4000T)
Why would you need a power reserve indicator on an automatic watch? If you're wearing it, it's winding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why would you need a power reserve indicator on an automatic watch? If you're wearing it, it's winding.
It would be good to know if it was very low before you start the dive. A good diver tucks his or her hands away and doesn’t move them much at all during the dive.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
3,822 Posts
It would be good to know if it was very low before you start the dive. A good diver tucks his or her hands away and doesn’t move them much at all during the dive.

Yes perhaps, but given that you're not likely to strap it on a few seconds before you dive, if it's already the right time, that Tony bit of movement combined with the movement before jumping in would keep it wound well beyond the time of even an extended dive. Assuming non-saturation diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The lume seems a no-brainer. For such a storied dive watch, you'd think Doxa would have lume at least on par with other pedigreed divers.

L-R: Precista PRS82, Doxa 1200 Pro, Shark, Seiko SKX007 (w/lumed sapphire bezel), Squale 1521
lume 2.jpg
lume2.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts