WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

Do TH ever publish sales figures by model? I just wonder so that we might know what watches are "rare" in the future :0)

I have only just bought my first Tag and am smitten by it however I haven't seen any one post one the same, so its either going to rare or undesirable as no one bought it haha!

Terry

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I would hazard a guess that no, they don't. Except for the limited editions, which are obviously a numbered run. Buying a new watch today for investment in the future is probably a bad idea, though, unless you're going to keep it for 70 years. But if you are, then going for a limited edition, or a stand-out piece will be better than going for a mainstream one.

What have you bought anyway?

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
Watches are almost NEVER good investments in a monetary sense. (Indeed, economists would classify them as speculations and not investments as they have no income stream.)

An index fund will almost always have a better return than speculation in collectibles. Most watches actually have a negative return when inflation is factored in. And when bought new, the depreciation of watches almost always assures a negative return.

Buy what you like and want to wear. There in lies the value of a TAGHeuer.

Reactions: enricodepaoli

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with limited editions unless it's what you want. In order for a ltd edition to hold any real value it would have to be very limited (hundreds at most not thousands) and in immaculate condition so unworn. Then you'd need to find someone who valued the watch at the price you do.

Best just to buy and enjoy your watch.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
What I meant was that a limited edition might stand a slightly better chance of being worth more in 70 years or more, not that it will retain it's value in the short-term. And yes, Dave's right, you'd need to keep it in good condition.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Buy clever... Like the others have said here, its not worth speculating on... But if you find the watch you like at the right price, buy it and wear it. My Monaco is worth more second hand than what I bought it for new two years ago & I've worn it every day.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with limited editions unless it's what you want. In order for a ltd edition to hold any real value it would have to be very limited (hundreds at most not thousands) and in immaculate condition so unworn. Then you'd need to find someone who valued the watch at the price you do.

Best just to buy and enjoy your watch.
Well, the black Gulf Monacos now sell for over $4000. They were about $2500 when new. edition size, I think, is 4000 pieces.

Not every LE will gain value but there are some out there that do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, the black Gulf Monacos now sell for over $4000. They were about $2500 when new. edition size, I think, is 4000 pieces.

Not every LE will gain value but there are some out there that do.
Maybe, but practically all Monacos have gone up in value. This is largely due to Tag Heuer raising the RRP of the Monaco range far more than any of their other models. they did this to place it above the Carrera in their model range rather than equal to it. Now that it's done I'd be surprised if someone buying new today found the same result in five years time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, sorry taken so long to get back on here! Not really as an investment to make money.....think I will give it to my first born when he/she turns 30 :0) this is what I bought anyway..... photo (2).JPG

·
Registered
578 Posts
Afternoon all,

Do TH ever publish sales figures by model? I just wonder so that we might know what watches are "rare" in the future :0)

I have only just bought my first Tag and am smitten by it however I haven't seen any one post one the same, so its either going to rare or undesirable as no one bought it haha!

Terry
Not the right brand, friend. Pose this question in the high end brands or in Rolex which is a unqiue animal or in Panerai because every piece is limited though they all look like close relatives :)

·
3,261 Posts
All Tag Heuer watches I own are worth more now than what I paid for them. With the exception maybe of my 2000 Classic automatic, which was my very first one, and the only one I bought new. But it has not lost any value also. Which is already a great thing for a watch I've enjoyed wearing for 14 years now, and counting...

Tag Heuer watches are great to buy and to wear. And it is a brand that allows you to find some great deals on the pre-loved side, which will very likely yield nice returns. That does not apply to me, though, as I only buy watches I intend to keep. Well, knowing your watch appreciated, is a pretty good payoff !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts