WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a watch that I picked up recently. It is the GW-400 Red Cross ‘Silencer’.

Now this is the only one I have ever seen apart from a photo of one that was posted after Kung Fusion spotted one. So I knew it existed but I had never seen one since

Japanese Red Cross Society x G-Shock GW-400 Silencer | mygshock.com

No other photos or information seems to exist online, which is highly unusual for an officially released G Shock. The number originally issued must be tiny.

Well I was just browsing on Yahoo auctions when I saw a photo of a GW-400 for sale, it was not identified in the advert as anything other than the basic black GW-400 but I had seen the red cross on the dial on the posted photo. Opening up the advert showed that it was indeed the extremely elusive Japanese Red Cross model. I couldn’t resist bidding for it and because it was just advertised as an ordinary GW-400 with plenty of wabi I picked it up for a really low price.

The watch indeed has seen plenty of action but you could hardly wait for one in better condition to come along!

It is fine in the hand, no resin rot, the marks are purely from being used as a G Shock can be with plenty of knocks and scrapes.

These GW-400 ‘Silencers’ are very well featured and it surprising they were not more popular as they weren’t in production that long. Perhaps the round shape didn’t grab G Shock fans. I think they look good though.

In time keeping mode, you can have the day and date on the top screen and a eye counting the seconds, in the centre we have the charge level( this watch is solar powered) and receiving indicators this watch is atomic but only in Japan and in the USA. It has a tiny moon phase display. The digits are nice and clear. You can change the view on the top screen, from day and date to temperature or tide graph.

One thing is that the bottom half of the display is a standard fixed segment display while the upper one is a dot matrix display to create a better tide graph.

For the current tide data, you can just check it up in regular time keeping mode. In most Casio watches with a tide graph, you have to program it with stuff like the Lunitidal Interval in order to get a correct tide. But with the Silencer you just input a location and it will program itself correctly. The watch has over 100 locations In memory.

So that is very convenient but the downside is that it will not work everywhere in the world. It would have been better if it had a programmable mode so that you could use it anywhere. The tide graph itself is very clear and easy to read, it even shows an approximate tide height for spring and neap tides by using number multipliers on the display.

It has a tide and moon mode where you can check up on the tide and moon data for any date.

It has a 60 minute timer. There are two different modes, one auto repeat mode where it counts to the end and then repeats for up to 8 times, a repeat mode where it will stop after the countdown reaches zero. Then there is a 100 hour stopwatch. Also it has world time with 32 cities stored.

Then we have the special alarm mode, it has 3 alarms and a snooze alarm, and of course an hourly chime.

The special thing about this alarm and the feature that gave this watch the name Silencer is the vibration alarm feature. When enabling it instead of giving off sound the watch will vibrate on your arm, when it is enabled the watch will turn completely mute so the hourly chime will be a little vibration as well as all the signals in timer mode, and all button sound will also be turned off. So it is a form of muted mode. The vibration alarm is a pretty rare feature amongst G-Shocks, can be useful when you do not want your watch to be heard.

Engraved caseback and red cross symbol on the lcd.

So very pleased to have got this very rare one. I do wonder how many are out there as this is only the second sighting of the watch in over a decade.

Some wrist shots.

[/FO

Mitch

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
That's awesome, Mitch.
Never seen one of those before. :-!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Congrats on a great find! I believe it is the ONLY vibration watch with solar power. The drain of a vibe alarm must be high. With that in mind, how does the vibration strength compare to the common benchmarks, the W-735, W736, GD-350, and Timex Expedition Vibration watches?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That is an awsome find congratulations on getting one the back light with the cross in is very nice. How old do you think it is?

G-Shock Newbie

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
The first 400 models came out in 2005 and most were discontinued by 2009. The CDJ in 2010. As Mitch mentioned, not a ton of info out there. There was a 410 model too. No solar/vibe G's since. Maybe Casio felt non solar/vibe was just easier/cheaper to make who knows.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The first 400 models came out in 2005 and most were discontinued by 2009. The CDJ in 2010. As Mitch mentioned, not a ton of info out there. There was a 410 model too. No solar/vibe G's since. Maybe Casio felt non solar/vibe was just easier/cheaper to make who knows.
Thank you for that info just did a Google search and also found they did it in a square white model with red writing. Stu though congrats to you might he the first and last I see

G-Shock Newbie

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is an awsome find congratulations on getting one the back light with the cross in is very nice. How old do you think it is?

G-Shock Newbie
Well because of the 130th Red Cross anniversary we know it was issued in 2007.

Casio did a DW-5600VT, in white, in 2017 for the 140th anniversary, these seem pretty rare also.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well because of the 130th Red Cross anniversary we know it was issued in 2007.

Casio did a DW-5600VT, in white, in 2017 for the 140th anniversary, these seem pretty rare also.

Mitch
I think that's the one I've seen on Google. Which is also nice, sorry for sounding so dumb quite new to g shock info like this so thank you is it a bit like the British Red cross then, where they go in and give aid to to country's that need it

G-Shock Newbie

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
No need to apologize DM, there have been so many G's since 1983 and so many obscure, discontinued models and variations it can make your head spin. Not to mention a lot were from the days before the internet and watch forums!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Plus I have only been collecting them since November 17 and have an awful lot to learn

G-Shock Newbie
You are ascending the learning curve rather quickly. Like those SF books where aliens are marvelling that humans have gone from being hunter gatherers to colonizing whole Galactic arms in only a thousand generations... OR as xkcd puts it:
Text Cartoon Font Line art Line

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Trying to learn as quick as possible, my only problem is a lot of the stuff I like/want after learning about is either discontinued or no one selling it, or never been availsble ovrr in the UK I spend most of the time hunting. But I do like the chase hehe

G-Shock Newbie

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Congrats on scoring such a HTF version!

For comparison and an excuse to post, this is the much more common GW-400 solar/atomic/vibration. Think it has the same module.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Still a very nice watch though i likenthat classic look and i wouldnt say no to one

G-Shock Newbie
These common ones turn up occasionally on watchrecon and eBay, usually at very fair prices. Saw another one recently since I got this one.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have found that's normally the case, you see one and think that's it then a couple more show up. Them get confident and think ill get that at weekend or something, then like magic gone.

I recently saw a nice watch and thought I wouldn't see it again and now there is a couple more.

G-Shock Newbie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts