WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. In canvassing the web for Pateks, I notice some big ones that seem to suggest old movements from 1880s or so, purportedly pocket watches of that era that have now been converted into wrist watches, keeping the original 'enamel casing' but now housed in glass. Dial size is a massive 45mm to even 51mm (at which size it could be worn on the forearm more than on the wrist).

I would imagine these would border on fakes but the machinery seems genuinely from that time, which means it's original Patek and the official servicing might still be supported. And the sellers who sell this type of stuff are rated 100% positive on big ecommerce sites -- like the bay one. So the watches seem legit.

What's the view on these type of watches? Are they Patek or not? If a 45mm looks ok, would it be blasphemous to wear one?

Welcome any thoughts or experiences.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Yes that was among them, I was looking at another where the hands were a little less decorative. Is the movement not an original either? I know the case etc are not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update. One of the sellers says that these movements are genuine and widely covered in the Patek books. How can I confirm (or otherwise) these claims? Where can I find these books? Google doesn't turn up anything meaningful. The seller has been quite convincing -- and he's the owner of a pretty solid looking business in Germany. Any Patek gurus here?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I wouldn't call these fakes, but rather "Frankenwatches". Heavily and irreversibly modded. Not worth very much but not costing that much. Zero collector cred or value, but might be a conversation piece.

The good news is that PWs can keep great time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts