WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The grandfather of Russian precision watches

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  K-19 
#1 ·
We all know and cherish the Volna / Vostok Precision watches. It was made in a time when watchmakers around the world were competing in various categories, such as thinnest movement, most complications and timekeeping precision. The 2809 movement competed in the precision class and was to my knowledge the only chronometer classed movement made in Russia.

The watch I have here is an early variant of this movement. Typically Volna watches had shock proofing of the balance wheel and a centre seconds hand. This one however, has no shock proofing and a sub dial! The absence of shock proofing is also evident from the case back where the "shock proof" label would normally reside. I think the movement is among the best looking in Russian horology and a great technical achievement. This variant of the Volna is very rare and highly collectible.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I always thought that the 22nd jewel was the one in the centre for a sweep second pinion (based on threads such as the one below), but your 21 jewel watch has that jewel :think:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/two-vostok-2809-puzzles-733380.html
...but perhaps I am misinterpreting since the Zenith 135 has a jewel at the centre (for the minute hand?) so there needs to be a jewel there anyway. So what is the 22nd jewel?

#11 · (Edited)
What we can be sure of, based on the differences between the Chistopol 28mm series and the Zenith 135 on which it was based, is that it was engineered from the outset to have a sweep second hand while retaining the option of a sub dial (unlike the Zenith which cannot be adapted to accept a sweep hand). I'm not sure that there is enough evidence yet to determine the order in which the variants were released (I might be wrong). The main point is that to assume that the sub dial version must have been first because it is outwardly more similar to the Zenith is flawed reasoning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.