WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I pulled a plug as well, should be here by the weekend. CANT wait :)
Mine will be on the bracelet, what tools do you guys use to change out straps without scratching up the lugs?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Mine will be on the bracelet, what tools do you guys use to change out straps without scratching up the lugs?
Just take your time and don't rush it. Tape the area the pins would come in contact with if you’d like but may still slightly scratch them. As far as resizing the bracelet use a quality screwdriver with a 1.8mm head which fits the screws perfectly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just take your time and don't rush it. Tape the area the pins would come in contact with if you’d like but may still slightly scratch them. As far as resizing the bracelet use a quality screwdriver with a 1.8mm head which fits the screws perfectly.
I was initially tentative to adjust my bracelet because I had heard that there was Loctite on the screw threads. . . Use a good quality screwdriver. I used the Wiha 1.8mm and I believe it was @Pontificator that suggested it. It worked like a champ! Super easy. A heat source was ready just in case but it wasn’t needed.

Regarding changing out bracelet/straps without scratching the lugs? I splurged and purchased the Bergeon 7825 plier type spring bar removal tool. I taped the lugs and the tool worked great when I wanted to remove the bracelet.

I also want to add that I picked up some extra spring bars in 19mm and 20mm. 20mm for straps and 19mm for the bracelet. I took the bracelet off by squeezing both ends of the 19mm OEM spring bars and it slid right out. I then installed the 20mm Swiss spring bars onto an OEM rubber strap and compressed both ends using that tool and had a heck of a time trying to get it to slide in.

When compressed the 20mm spring bars were 20.5mm from tip to tip. No wonder it wouldn’t slide into the 20mm lug width when I tried to compress both sides at once. They are sized from flange to flange. The 20mm Swiss spring bars for a strap are supposed to be fitted one end at a time (eg., insert one end of the spring bar into the hole in the lug and then do the same for the other lug). It is a nice, really tight fit. Something that was so simple and obvious but it briefly slipped my mind. . .

Anyhow, there is not a single scratch on any of the lugs.

The cheap 20mm Chinese spring bars will fit if you compress both sides. Good luck . . . I hope this helps.

Wiha 1.8mm Screwdriver

Pen Font Office supplies Eyelash Cosmetics

20 mm Swiss spring bars when compressed:
Calipers Handwriting Measuring instrument Font Bumper

·
Registered
883 Posts
Can you post some on the wrist? Is that the Uncle Seiko or forstner?
It’s by Forstner, I own a few from US already and wanted to try something different.

The screw in links are good but I’m not a fan of the “stretchy links” as they are folded and the weakest part of the bracelet.

But, it’s nicely made and I’m happy with it. Also they are going to be releasing a milled clasp that will be compatible with the 1450 so that is another plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
It’s by Forstner, I own a few from US already and wanted to try something different.

The screw in links are good but I’m not a fan of the “stretchy links” as they are folded and the weakest part of the bracelet.

But, it’s nicely made and I’m happy with it. Also they are going to be releasing a milled clasp that will be compatible with the 1450 so that is another plus.

Cool, I like how it looks.. makes the SMP look completely different than the OEM bracelet.. I recently ordered one for my SMP as well. Do you think its better quality than the Uncle Seikos?
Could you link to the info about the milled clasp? I think I missed that

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think the other 300 SMP thread might have more info but here is what forstner said.

Reactions: watchman600

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Would you recommend this tool to avoid scratches while changing from strap to bracelet,
OR as long as I put masking tape around everything, that should be enough to prevent any scratches, and there is no need to buy it? Thanks. Also, where did you get it and how much was it?
Regarding changing out bracelet/straps without scratching the lugs? I splurged and purchased the Bergeon 7825 plier type spring bar removal tool. I taped the lugs and the tool worked great when I wanted to remove the bracelet.
@JimmyBoots I got the uncle seiko 1450 in the end. I would prefer a milled clasp too. I wonder if they will eventually do one too...maybe to sell separate as well...or maybe the forstner milled clasp will work on the uncle seiko 1450...or is that too Frankenstein/weird? My daughter told me there is nothing wrong with the way the clasp is now. And she has a pretty good point!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Would you recommend this tool to avoid scratches while changing from strap to bracelet,
OR as long as I put masking tape around everything, that should be enough to prevent any scratches, and there is no need to buy it? Thanks. Also, where did you get it and how much was it?
Just speaking for myself, I’d recommend the tool to avoid scratches to the lugs, especially if both ends need to be compressed at the same time. That was the main reason that I got it and it worked great. It was expensive at almost $160 delivered from Otto Frei in Oakland, CA.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts