WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an idle moment I came across this article:

.....there are some interesting choices of watches and the luxury regulars along with popular and iconic watches are well represented, but as well the g-shock and the A-11 are in the mix, which is nice to see. Whilst you might disagree on the order or the inclusion of a particular model I still think its an interesting article. This list isn't the debatable point here it's just my inspiration.

This set me thinking, is we were to remove luxury watches, watches that are of du jour, or that introduced some fancy pants mechanism, what would you nominate as the greatest affordable watch in history? Would it be something that has sold more than anything else, would it be a watch that democratised watch ownership to the masses or an affordable that did something truly unique?

......the challenge here, in this thread, is to see what we would nominate as the greatest affordable watch and why. Also I'm looking for something a bit different than what people like personally, less subjective and more objective choices. Might even be a watch you don't like but could admire for another reason. Take the VW Beetle, it may not be liked and you may not want to own one but it has its place in automobile history as a people's car.

So name the brand, model of watch and your reason why its the greatest affordable watch in history.....

Micro brands don't count folks; no history and no one outside of the WIS bubble has ever heard of them.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
@bigclive2011

Very interesting list, but yea, you'd have to throw quite a few of those off the list immediately, simply due to affordability...

Because they couldn't possibly be the "Greatest affordable watch ever made"...

It made me think... What affordable watch could you give to anyone if you were sending them into an unknown environment... Which would cover 'everyone' from a desk worker to a Navy Seal or lost on a desert island... Surely that would be the "Greatest affordable watch ever made"...

G-Shock immediately jumped to mind... Affordable, very strong, accurate, with numerous usable/essential functions and can be self powered...

Then it hit me... If you break it down, a watch is a tool for telling time... plain and simple... and it would need to be extremely well made, COSC accurate, as strong as physically possible, and self powered. And it would need to be made by a very experienced company who's sole directive is to make extremely scrutinised & quality controlled, certified and authorised watches for absolutely any conditions... That truly would have to be the 'greatest.'

So I'd have to say Marathon... GSAR, or with my thick wrists, the JDD.
The tritium lume also is a bonus for 25 years or so...

What are your thoughts mate?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Interesting list. I was surprised how few of those watches really appealed to me from an aesthetics standpoint.

My pick for the greatest affordable watch would be one with either the Bulova Precisionist or Accutron II movements. Reasons: accuracy, affordability, ultra smooth sweep second hand, respected brand. I won't single out one in particular from that category because that range of watches was offered in different styles to appeal to different tastes.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Casio G-Shock 5000/5600 series or 6900 series. With an entry point of around $50 you get what is probably the toughest watch ever made packed with useful features. They’re worn by everyone from astronauts, to Navy SEAL’s to celebrities. They’re an icon and come in more flavors than Baskin Robbins. It’s gotta be the G.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Affordable is such a subjective term, and any list states 'affordable' and does not have the Casio f-91w cannot be taken seriously.
Just noticed that the site actually says 'greatest' and not 'affordable', makes no difference still not a list to be taken seriously ;)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
...Name the brand, model and your reason.....
My vote for the year of 2021 shall be...

Premium DeepSea Diver spec.: CHECK !
Premium Workmanship: CHECK !
Premium In-House Movement: CHECK !
Premium Quality with Affordability: $ CHECK $ @ under USD/CHF$2000

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just noticed that the site actually says 'greatest' and not 'affordable', makes no difference still not a list to be taken seriously ;)
Everyone is making the same mistake here. The list of watches I'd linked to was merely inspiration for the thread, the watches on THAT list aren't the point at all......

......the challenge here, in this thread, was to see what we would nominate as the greatest affordable watch and why. Also, as I'd suggested in the OP I was looking for something a bit different than what people like personally, less subjective and more objective choices. Might even be a watch you don't like but could admire for another reason.

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My vote for the year of 2021 shall be...

Premium DeepSea Diver spec.: CHECK !
Premium Workmanship: CHECK !
Premium In-House Movement: CHECK !
Premium Quality with Affordability: $ CHECK $ @ under USD/CHF$2000
Seriously? It's not about 2021, it's about ever, since watches have been worn on the wrist......

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Well... that list been finalized.
And 90% of the watches listed seems to possess "flippability" values.
Ok, if you're asking for 2020 release, my vote goes to... the Orient Star diver.

and from the Western part of the globe...

1 - 20 of 146 Posts