WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go, I'd say sorry to all the GX-56 haters, as with this thread you will find a perfect reason to say that I (and all the others who still have an wear their GX-56s) am simply looking for reasons to justify our Kingly purchase :-d

But now on to the topic. I used to think square G-Shocks are too old school so never really looked into them. But then when I got my G-7900-3, the courier who brought it to me was wearing a gold-screened 5600 and we started talking about it. He is a fan of the 5600 models and talked about it passionately to the point of making me want one. I thought "Hey, the square form turns out to be quite appealing in real life. And it also has all the basic features of a G-Shock so why not?"

Tried it on and I was disappointed - it felt and looked too small. After the courier went home, the thought about a square G-Shock went to the back of my mind until I logged in to WUS and started noticing a recent surge of threads about The King. I started browsing for King wrist shot photos -- the signs of an imminent purchase don't you think? :-d

I went back and forth about it especially since I was also looking at two Riseman variants. But alas, the G-Force is stronger than any human will, so I finally gave in and ordered the GX-56. Here's what I like about the watch:

- Massive size and wrist presence. Used to think my slightly more round-ish 7.25" wrist won't pull it off, but turns out it works.
- All the basic functions remain. The 3220 module is similar to the 5600's module (even down to the screen size) but all I need is there. Before I got into G-Shocks (which is less than 3 or 4 months ago) I am used to analog watches so even having two stopwatches is still kind of a luxury to me.
- Great construction and choice of materials, even more so than the average G. The screwed buckle and thicker resin strap is a big plus |>
- Negative EL |>|>
- Negative display. When I made the decision to get the GX-56 I am conscious that I am basing the decision mostly on looks so I didn't really care about low light legibility; besides there's the Auto-EL.
- Tough Solar. This allows me to (among others) keep Auto-EL always on without really worrying about running down the battery. Although, due to the limited functions the 3220 module has, probably a CR2025 battery would still last 4-5 years anyway.
- It is a square G! And it is very different in shape to my daily wearers, PRG-130Y and G-7900-3. I am glad I did not get the 5600 -- because I wanted a square but not that small; with the King it just feels you have a huge piece of rock on your wrist.

That's probably all I could think of right now. Regarding the color choice for my King, I always liked the combination of red and black on G-Shocks ever since the DW-6600 I had years ago (in fact I only found out the model number of my childhood G-Shock because I joined this site). Was also looking at the DGK but no one has them in my country for less than $300 so I backed out. It would have been my first collab anyway and I would be babying it too much I think.

So, what do you have to say about your King?

P.S. haters, feel free to reconsider your decision of NOT getting it... :-d

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive got an orange one and I love it. Bonded with it immediately. Its my first "colourful" G and its getting more wrist time than my others now.

It's colour and size get lots of comments. Perfect summer watch and a hell of a watch for the £85 it cost me.

Will be looking at getting the stealth model thats being released soon also.

If you can handle the size I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
554 Posts
£85? wow my orange one cost me £126 from Masters in Time, but my black and red one was £90 off Amazon. Is there a UK source to get the orange one at £85?

Really wanting the -1BD model with the normal lcd but no cash at the mo and it costs about £130 here in the UK AFAIK...

·
Registered
56 Posts
£85? wow my orange one cost me £126 from Masters in Time, but my black and red one was £90 off Amazon. Is there a UK source to get the orange one at £85?

Really wanting the -1BD model with the normal lcd but no cash at the mo and it costs about £130 here in the UK AFAIK...
Heres the link of the place I use. His prices have gone up slightly but he's still very competitive and has free shipping. It was actually £87 I paid and he would probably accept an offer of that amount if you contacted him. Hope that helps.

watchesdeals | eBay UK

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
What do I like about the GX56 everything. I like the big size,how it looks, colors & the statement it makes. It's my favorite model. All of mine have moved to the top of my rotation.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
when the first pictures were leaked I really liked it. Didn't like the basic module however. What helped in my decision to get one was this photo stream on flickr:
Casio GX-56 - 13 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Especially those large steel buttons underneath the resin bezel. And then the orange one was on sale with 33% off - and it was the "Japan Y" version, too. So I couldn't resist.
I really like:
- the construction
- size and weight
- color
- that it really stands out
- that I could get a "Japan" G-Shock without having to pay Frogman-prices (btw: just to mention it: there's a difference between "Made in Japan" and "Japan" on the back of a watch, the quality is probably the same as on the "Made in Thailand" version but just the limited number makes it special)

regards, Sedi :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Its large. What else is there?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
What do I like about the GX56 everything. I like the big size,how it looks, colors & the statement it makes. It's my favorite model. All of mine have moved to the top of my rotation.
+1

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
when the first pictures were leaked I really liked it. Didn't like the basic module however. What helped in my decision to get one was this photo stream on flickr:
Casio GX-56 - 13 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Especially those large steel buttons underneath the resin bezel. And then the orange one was on sale with 33% off - and it was the "Japan Y" version, too. So I couldn't resist.
I really like:
- the construction
- size and weight
- color
- that it really stands out
- that I could get a "Japan" G-Shock without having to pay Frogman-prices (btw: just to mention it: there's a difference between "Made in Japan" and "Japan" on the back of a watch, the quality is probably the same as on the "Made in Thailand" version but just the limited number makes it special)

regards, Sedi :)
Hi Sedi, it's interesting to know that, since when I bought mine, I specifically asked the seller to check whether the back has "JAPAN Y" or "Made In Thailand" :) I know there is most probably no difference in quality, but just like you said, I feel it is slightly more special to have that "JAPAN" engraving.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I really like the styling on the 56 and would buy one in a heartbeat if I had any more room in the rotation. I love all squares in general and this one takes it to a new level.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That it is HUGE!

I feel like if I swung a backhand at a zombie or a similar threatening entity I have a good chance of removing it's head with the blow thus allowing for my escape. These are important things to consider when selecting a good timepiece.

2012 is right around the corner people! What are YOU doing to prepare for the zombie apocalypse?
:-d

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, this is my very first post on this forum.

For me, the GX-56 is one of the most comfortable G-Shocks I own which surprised me considering its size.
Just found this picture of the new GXW-56GB-1JF. I don't think anyone has posted any info regarding the black & gold atomic version before. I need this watch badly!

All the best,

Warren

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome, Wazza. I assume you are from the UK? :)
Like that Black Gold King you posted -- but I may have had too many negative displays. I don't really think it belongs in the GB series because the 'gold' is too subtle...which is better to some ;-)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! You're right, I am from the U.K. living in the Scottish Highlands. Profile now updated:-!
I currently have the positive display GXW-56 so the stealth version would make an excellent addition for me. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts