1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here comes my next modded G.

KG3-01.JPG
KG3-02.JPG

One look at it and you'd immediately know where the inspiration came from. Yes, it all started with Knives and Lint 's awesome GX56 mod - https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/gx56-king-mod-3449898.html I'd immediately known that I wanted something very similar, and thanks to some very lucky circumstances I landed up with a rather rare GX56-1B. I was happy with my 1B ("B +ve", as I used to call it, an amalgamation of the 1B suffix and the positive LCD) but the thought of a KG3 mod was always on my mind. I did look around on ebay, but some really atrocious prices kept me away.

Then, one fine day, it happened - I was at my local Casio service and talking to one of the reps, I realized I could order the GX-56KG-3 case and resin officially, even though the model was never launched in India. I was elated and there began a 40-day wait.

Yesterday, I got a call that the spares were finally here. Wasted to time, went to Casio first thing today morning and collected the spares. A 15-minute transplant later, my new King was ready!

KG3-03.JPG
KG3-04.JPG

As you may notice, my mod is nowhere as awesome as K&L's original work, but it's a layman's tribute if you'd call that. Basically its just a GX-56-1B module in a GX-56KG-3 case and resin. I am planning to get the bezel and band texts coloured orange, will update here once done.

KG3-05.JPG
KG3-06.JPG
KG3-07.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Re: My third mod: the GX-56KG-3B!

Very nice! I think it will look even better with bright orange text like you're planning.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts

I am planning to get the bezel and band texts coloured orange, will update here once done.
I think it looks just fine as it is. Got some Maharishi (stealth orange) feel to it. ;-)

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
4,516 Posts

Double post... there must be a break in my time-space continuum. :-d

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I think it looks just fine as it is. Got some Maharishi (stealth orange) feel to it. ;-)
Looking at the pics, yes - you're right, it's got a stealthy-cool look about it. But there's a catch - pics taken with the camera tend to bump up the colors and contrast making mundane objects look attractive. In real life it looks something like this :

IMG_20161106_102718_20161106_102749.jpg

Yes it still looks great, but there's a certain lack of contrast - the kind which makes you feel something is missing somewhere. This was not evident in the rich, vibrant pics taken with the camera.

Will be buying the orange paint later in the day...and if I don't like it, it's just a 5-minute cleanup!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Time for an update! Got the much needed contrast in place with some orange lettering. Initially I had the lettering on both, the bezel and band done in orange, but didn't like the overload of color, so cleaned off the band lettering, leaving the text on the bezel standing out.

DSC07872.JPG

DSC07876-2.JPG

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Looks great! I may just have to follow your lead again! First the Burton Rangeman and now this. The KG bezel and strap would look great on my BB. I still love the blackout theme and the negative display of the BB but the slashes of orange would look great against the negative display.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Looks great! I may just have to follow your lead again! First the Burton Rangeman and now this. The KG bezel and strap would look great on my BB. I still love the blackout theme and the negative display of the BB but the slashes of orange would look great against the negative display.
Thanks, Kevio! :)
I am guessing the KG bezel and strap on the BB would make it very similar to the stock KG (except for the crystal). However do try it on and see!

BTW, if you do get yourself a KG3 resin set, here's what I'd suggest. Swap the olive band on the BB and get the bezel lettering done in a matching OD green. Here's a quick & dirty ps-job, and I'm already liking what I see! Good luck with your mod!

bbmod.jpg

·
Registered
36,311 Posts

Time for an update! Got the much needed contrast in place with some orange lettering. Initially I had the lettering on both, the bezel and band done in orange, but didn't like the overload of color, so cleaned off the band lettering, leaving the text on the bezel standing out.

View attachment 9852706

View attachment 9852730
Looks fantastic!

What did you use for orange on the bezel? Paint?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Thanks, Kevio! :)
I am guessing the KG bezel and strap on the BB would make it very similar to the stock KG (except for the crystal). However do try it on and see!

BTW, if you do get yourself a KG3 resin set, here's what I'd suggest. Swap the olive band on the BB and get the bezel lettering done in a matching OD green. Here's a quick & dirty ps-job, and I'm already liking what I see! Good luck with your mod!

View attachment 9858634
Thanks for the suggestion! It looks quite interesting but I've not tried any type of painting before. How is the shade of green? In some pictures it really looks olive and in others it's quite dark.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Looks fantastic!

What did you use for orange on the bezel? Paint?
I used water-based acrylic paint, this is the same stuff I use for all coloring mods. Initially I tried the "Permanent Deep Yellow" but that turned out too orange for my liking. So I ended up mixing "Yellow Ochre" and "Permanent Deep Yellow" in equal parts and that gave the perfect output.

DSC07883.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks quite interesting but I've not tried any type of painting before. How is the shade of green? In some pictures it really looks olive and in others it's quite dark.
it's difficult to provide an accurate representation of the color especially due to different color calibration of monitors/displays. The color actually varies with ambient light, so in sunlight the resin looks a perfectly olive and in low light, it looks almost grey. The below two pics are an almost accurate representation of how it looks under different lighting (On my monitor, it looks 95% accurate to the original colors).

KG3-07.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts