WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay WISers, I realize this is an affordables forum and we all have different definitions of a "grail" watch. But whatever your price point may be, the term grail implies that it's well beyond what you'd normally spend, requires a considerable amount of trading or saving, and thus is exceptional.

BUT.

Does this mean it should be worn exceptionally?

I'm not asking if you baby your grail watches...that defeats the purpose in some respects. Plus I asked that question in explicit terms about a year ago:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/do-you-baby-your-watches-865937.html

I ask because I cashed out an old (pre-marriage) investment account I was no longer monitoring and have essentially bought a watch that my wife would slit my throat over since it would pay for the equivalent of an African Safari family vacation. I decided to pull the trigger as a pre-reward for earning my Doctoral Degree in the near future. Self indulgence aside on the watch end, I want to enjoy my uber-grail but I also don't want to completely thrash it like my daily driver. I've even considered waiting to start wearing the watch until I complete my dissertation defense.

As a side note, I plan to post an unboxing and review thread with wrist shots and impressions once she arrives. Until then a web-photo will have to suffice.

So I ask all of you who have achieved grails: do you treat your grail watches differently in any way? I want to know, and of course, pictures are always encouraged!

Cheers,

-Bradley

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I have no grail but that is a beautiful watch you picked.
Personally, i would have got the senator sixties with no date, Oh, and the blue dial :)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
First, congrats on the GO. That's a really nice watch and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

On to your inquiry, I don't like the concept of a "grail" but according to your definitions I have a couple of watches that could be considered grails. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "worn exceptionally"?
Did you mean worn only on special occasions?
Only with formal attire?
Only when going to fancy parties and shindigs?
For me, the answer to all of those is, no. I wear my watches at work, at home, with "nice clothes", or in athletic wear. The only time, I don't wear my "grails" would be at the gym, but then I have a dedicated gym watch so it's not like the grails are receiving special treatment.

Look, with watches like your GO, when the time comes you'll get it serviced. It's going to cost a chunk of change while it's away getting the spa treatment. No matter how rough you are with the watch it'll get sorted by the service center.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Congrats on the grail - very nice choice.

I treat my nicer watches more carefully than my 'everyday' watches, and my nicer watches are Christopher Wards so a far cry from most people's grail watches. I think if I ever went high-end I'd be pretty careful about choosing when to wear it, and restrict it to days when I know I wouldn't be doing anything that might risk a scratch.

Mind you, it might all be relative, and by the time I got a high-end watch my 'everyday' watches would be my CWs and I'd treat the high-end watch like I treat my CWs now.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look, with watches like your GO, when the time comes you'll get it serviced. It's going to cost a chunk of change and while it's away getting the spa treatment. No matter how rough you are with the watch it'll get sorted by the service center.
That was my initial thought. Servicing will bring the watch back to life from whatever I throw at it. Cost of ownership considerations do have me wondering how much it'll cost me for a full restoration service. I think I read somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. Woof. I hope I only need to service it once every decade or more.

That said, wandering around South Central LA late at night with this seems like a stupid idea, as with going to the gym, running, etc. I'm not necessarily clumsy with my watches but I definitely bump and scuff things with my Archimede Outdoor on a weekly basis.

So when I say worn exceptionally I do mean for special occasions, etc. Then again, I think about my wife's engagement ring. It is worth probably double or triple what the GO is worth and my wife wears it pretty much ALL the time...waking, sleeping, shower, etc. The only time she takes it off is when kneading dough or making meatloaf with her hands. I think we've paid like $100 every 5 years or so to have it polished and make sure the prongs are positioned properly on the setting.

I guess in that sense it's hard to imagine spending a ton on an engagement ring and then seeing it only be used for special occasions. Hmm..though a ring isn't mechanical and failure-prone if it takes a serious bang.

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
I have no grail but that is a beautiful watch you picked.
Personally, i would have got the senator sixties with no date, Oh, and the blue dial :)
When I saw the 70s and the 60s side by side, despite having a definite personal aesthetic preference for the 60s I was struck much more by the 70s. The 60s design didn't seem to transfer into 3D reality half as well as the 70s, which was a very impressive object.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
Great looking watch. I have 2 watches that were grails and I treat them both differently. My Doxa I wear like I do any other watch. Granted I baby all of my watches so that may not be saying much. My Magrette Kaitiaki I don't wear quite as often because it's DLC and I'm paranoid that I might scratch the coating somehow.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I created a similar thread a few weeks back : https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/pamper-smack-your-child-watch-1008319.html

But essentially I'd wear the hell out of it. Give it some Wabi darn it. You're never going to love a watch that just sits in a box and looks pretty. It's like a trophy wife, cost you a lot of money but if all it does is sit around and look pretty I'm sure you'll get tired of it soon. You want a wife(watch) who'll go out and do stuff with you, create memories and make you smile every time you look at her and remember the things you've done together.

Or maybe I'm just weird :-d

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Nice watch LBCgoat!
As the posters above, I treat all my watches (things) carefully from my beaters to my grail. So, if I know I'm doing something rough and tumble, I will choose a beater. If I'm attending a dinner event, I will choose my grail or another.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I'm probably a bit more careful when I'm wearing my Nomos than an Orient or Sea-Gull, but I certainly try to avoid scratching any of them. I wear it in rotation, a bit more often than the others, (always competing with a handful of favorites). Sometimes I'll notice I have it on when I'm out in the garden, reaching through a tomato cage or something, I'll cringe a bit and remove it; but otherwise same as usual. I love GO watches and I have a small fetish for the '60s-no date, you chose a beauty. Lucky you! :-!

Reactions: qrocks and Iyonk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, Grasshopper. To achieve a complete sense of serenity about the transience and inevitable physical destruction of all objects (including our precious watches and ourselves) one must learn to contemplate wabi sabi, the practice of nurturing all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. When you have achieved that perfect state you will realize that awareness of the transience of all things heightens appreciation of their beauty, and evokes a gentle sadness at their passing.
Man, that Wabi-Sabi post really resonated with me. Totally planning to adopt that philosophy in many life applications. I think thinking about it in those terms really helps me think about enjoying the GO in the moment, regardless of what kind of shape it's in. It's not like I plan on flipping this sucker. I hope to pass it on to one of my kids, patina and all will only make the stories and adventure's it seen more meaningful when I'm gone...

·
Registered
926 Posts
I created a similar thread a few weeks back : https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/pamper-smack-your-child-watch-1008319.html

But essentially I'd wear the hell out of it. Give it some Wabi darn it. You're never going to love a watch that just sits in a box and looks pretty. It's like a trophy wife, cost you a lot of money but if all it does is sit around and look pretty I'm sure you'll get tired of it soon. You want a wife(watch) who'll go out and do stuff with you, create memories and make you smile every time you look at her and remember the things you've done together.

Or maybe I'm just weird :-d
Awh, that was really sweet. I agree with the sentiment, slightly concerned by your continued ability to relate watches to family members. ;-)

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Congratulations on a beautiful watch, and enjoy it a lot!

In my case the only Grail I have been able to acquire is a sporty chrono, the Panerai 356.

I never thought I`d be able to purchase one because of the high MSRP, but then I found a preowned in TRF, from a seller with excellent reputation, and I was able to get a mint one for a good price. Being the kind of watch it is, I would never be able to wear it in my office, or in a formal environment. But during the weekends, or some weekday evenings when we go for a walk with my wife, I wear it and enjoy it a lot every single time!

I don´t baby it, and it already has a nick in the bezel and case (very small, but it´s there) from a fall from the night table!

Pics to share:

IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
LBCGoat,

Interesting question. I have had a few GRAIL watches in the past. Have ended up selling them as a newer model from that company came out. Also changed from Mechanical watches to Quartz watches. Less worries about vibration, shocks etc.

Now I have my latest "GRAIL", and this is the one I will keep for a very long time, my new to me Sinn UX SDR.

I don't really baby my watches, but I do take care as much as possible. I have a much cheaper very tough Quartz diver that I use if I am working on my truck, or renovating the house etc. Don't worry too much if I scratch that watch. But otherwise, I wear my Sinn UX every day now. However in my office job, it should not get banged up etc.

When I had my Omega Seamaster, I wore it every day for 7 years. Then my son wanted it, so off it went to the Watchmaker for an overhaul, and also to polish the case and bracelet. He has been wearing it for 5 years now and it still looks great, so I would not worry too much as long as you take reasonable care.

My Damasko watches had the toughest case out there. After 2 years of wear it did not even have the faintest of marks on it. But, I decided I wanted Quartz Watches, and also HAQ, so they were sold.

Very nice watch by the way. Looks like a real classic, and I like the large date. Awesome.

Regards,

Akitadog, from the WET coast of BC Canada

Attachments

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Man, that Wabi-Sabi post really resonated with me. Totally planning to adopt that philosophy in many life applications. I think thinking about it in those terms really helps me think about enjoying the GO in the moment, regardless of what kind of shape it's in. It's not like I plan on flipping this sucker. I hope to pass it on to one of my kids, patina and all will only make the stories and adventure's it seen more meaningful when I'm gone...
I'm glad I (or more specifically my thread) helped :-d

It really hit the spot for me as well, I've settled on giving a watch a few weeks of "grace" period where in I decide whether or not it's a "keeper" and baby it a little. This is just so that if I decide to flip it I don't lose too much on it (hopefully) with the current rand/dollar exchange rate the $60 dollars a scratch or two could take off the price is worth a tank of petrol haha :-d

That said I usually know from the moment I see the watch in person whether or not its a keeper for me :)

Awh, that was really sweet. I agree with the sentiment, slightly concerned by your continued ability to relate watches to family members. ;-)

Don't worry it concerns me too but probably comes from the fact I have an excessively large family haha. You draw inspiration from that which you have the most experience and all that ;-)

Reactions: qrocks and Lucible

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That's a gorgeous watch! I love the blue dial, the novel shape, and the eye catching vintage style. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
71,529 Posts
While I don't baby my watches unduely neither do I treat then badly so my grail would just go in the rotation with the rest of the gang.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts