WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been hunting high and low for a watch that seems to only exist in my head. I've looked at the regular suspects, like Laco, Stowa, Sinn, Archimede, Aristo, IWC, even Asian brands like Tisell, San Martin, Heimdallr etc.

Hear me out:

• pilot watch with a b-uhr, or b-uhr-esque, dial
  • white numerals, so I suppose BGW9 lume. no faux-patina or green
  • <40mm, preferably 38.
  • no-date
  • on a bracelet with properly fitting end links
  • don't even care anymore if it's quartz, solar, auto, hand-wound or run by having to whip a tiny hamster into submission every half hour
  • max $500, preferably less
Here's a mockup that I made:

The ones that come close but not close enough:

Laco. Green numerals are a no-no, it's too large and in wrist shots of this one it looks like the bracelet doesn't fit very well to the case.

Timefactors. Perfect everything but wrong dial.

Dagaz. Perfect case, size, bracelet and numerals & hands have the right color but wrong dial type and not a no-date.

Tisell. On the larger side with 40mm but I'm willing to compromise there. It's not for sale anymore, the bracelet on the picture I found is aftermarket and I have no idea which bracelet it is and if it even fits properly without dremel warfare.
yPU34jG.jpg

Archimede. Almost perfect! Available in 36mm and 39mm but wrong dial and double my budget.

Sinn. Gorgeous, but faux-patina and way above my budget.

Atticus Icarus. Great specs, perfect size and case, nice bracelet but wrong dial.

Seiko flieger mod. Who even knows how to get one of these put together? I'll have to buy every individual part and cross my fingers it'll work out in the end.

Should I just give up, or am I missing something? I hardly ever make threads like these anymore, because I think after almost 9 years on non-stop F71 I'm pretty good at finding something myself, but you never know... So here's me giving it a desperate shot. ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Long Island Watch makes a flieger now. I haven’t looked at them, but I didn’t see them on your list, so maybe they’ll hit that sweet spot.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long Island Watch makes a flieger now. I haven’t looked at them, but I didn’t see them on your list, so maybe they’ll hit that sweet spot.
No B-uhr dial and no bracelet option, alas.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Seiko snk809. It has a day date, but at least its color matched ;)

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seiko snk809. It has a day date, but at least its color matched ;)

Hahaha, at least it is! But it's not the one. A bit too, well, Seiko 5. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you thought about hamilton khaki auto day/date ? I know its not exactly what you want but still close. You also have the quartz version with day date at 3.
Good luck on your search ! 😊

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you thought about hamilton khaki auto day/date ? I know its not exactly what you want but still close. You also have the quartz version with day date at 3.
Good luck on your search ! 😊
That's a good one! I had a Khaki Pilot Automatic but it got stolen last year. It was a bit large as well. :) Always liked the day/date you posted, though. I'll definitely consider it if I can't find anything that matches my initial requirements.

Here's my poor, now lost Khaki... :(

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I think your best bet would be a San Martin B-Uhr pilot watch with an aftermarket bracelet. Probably, easiest fit would be hollow endlinks, where you could bend them to fit rather than dremel. I will go ahead and assume that will not be satisfactory in theory or practice, so I would suggest the one thing you cave on is the fitted links and learn to love a straight end-link setup.

The Heimdallr is actually a better (smaller) size - 38.5mm v. 39, and 46 l2l vs. 48, also thinner by a mm or so - but 19mm lug width may further limit bracelet choices.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you looked at Dekla watches from Stuttgart? Smaller scale manufacturer but with an emphasis on quality (lots of hand made elements, custom made cases, hand wound or automatic Swiss movements, etc) . I have just ordered one (type A) and they have been really helpful with my queries. The price range isn't too far off what you are looking at and there are lots of options to change the spec/styling of the watch face. The only problem is that they don't make a bracelet version (you could ask @brshatch very nicely as he is their contact on the forums) so you might need to look at getting an aftermarket bracelet. Nothing seems to be out of the question with the changes they can make on request.

Thread on their pilot watches here... Dekla Pilot Watch

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a good one! I had a Khaki Pilot Automatic but it got stolen last year. It was a bit large as well. :) Always liked the day/date you posted, though. I'll definitely consider it if I can't find anything that matches my initial requirements.

Here's my poor, now lost Khaki... :(

View attachment 15466823
Aww stolen that sucks I’m sorry for your lost ....
what size was it ? Mine is 42mm ,wears pretty nice on my 7.25 ” wrist

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think your best bet would be a San Martin B-Uhr pilot watch with an aftermarket bracelet.
The San Martin B-uhr has green numerals instead of white. I really like don't like the way that looks. :(

Have you looked at Dekla watches from Stuttgart?
Using their configurator, I can create a 40mm B-uhr that looks amazing but has no bracelet option, like you said. I'll shoot them a message and see what they can offer. Price is up there, though!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aww stolen that sucks I’m sorry for your lost ....
what size was it ? Mine is 42mm ,wears pretty nice on my 7.25 ” wrist
Yeah, among other watches that were taken during a burglary at my house. I miss the Hamilton and the Citizen BM6400 they took most of all. Oh well. My Khaki was a whopping 46mm! :) Looked enormous on my 6.7" wrist but I still wore the hell out of it.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out ALL PRODUCTS

Canadian watch company with fliegers based on the Arrow jet. Very good pricing too. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Their b-uhr is 43mm instead of <40mm and doesn't have a bracelet option. Boo. The hunt continues!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts