Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently this

I was at a company get together this week, with several colleagues and many of our clients and as all WIS tend to do I was looking from wrist to wrist. On clients ( construction company bosses ) I saw multiple Rolex ( 2 tone more often then not ) A Date Just, Air King, Sub, and Daytona and of course many G Shocks on field guys.

But what really struck me was the long term account managers (fancy word for sales guys) had a predominant trend....I counted 6 Tag F1 QUARTZ the first day. Trying to strike up a conversation with some of these guys about watches... 1 guy tells me he got his as a gift for attending a sales expo years ago.

Another said that when he made his first big pay check he went to the mall to buy a nice watch, and this was it. He proudly told me it was "Over a thousand bucks!" I got similar stories from other guys. Tag seems to be a "Go to" brand for those middle class sales guys to show they "Have Arrived" financially enough (with at least one paycheck) to buy that big ticket "luxury" watch.

I won't get into the guy that was wearing what looked like a Brietling Colt Chrono, that told me he really wanted to buy one of those "Big Invicta's" He sees on TV...Sigh...

·
900 Posts
...my manager has one, too. He is not exactly a salesman, but he certainly has the mentality.

Maybe those guys go on looks and "reputed" - but actually actual, too - durability. They ******** at work (to sell), so they can see through it + buy what makes sense. Can't blame them... (I like the looks of some TAGs, too - much better than, say, IWC/Breitling/Rolex (<- biggest offender)/Tissot/Tudor/Blancpain/Breguet/...)

·
900 Posts
...now that I think about it, the implication of the OP is that _ifff_ said salesmen were WISes, they would, instead, buy Sinn/Damasko (similar aesthetic, (exactly) the same functionality - but at a higher price :-!)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I dunno, I personally think they are quite decent. They tend to wear very nicely on the wrist, and are very comfortable for daily wear, something several other brands and watches fail to do even at higher price points. The standard quartz ones appeal to the average person who doesn't want to deal with a mechanical watch with accuracy concerns and winding and keeping it running over weekends and servicing etc etc.

But they want to get a popular brand that people associate wealth and success with, while staying a bit modern in terms of styling, and not getting a simple 3 hander. Its a great strategy, something we will never really appreciate here at WUS since we love mechanical watches and the intricacies and complexities of time keeping rather than simply brand consciousness.

They really stepped up the game with the new Auto chrono's though. The new redesigned F1 series look more "grown up" and to appeal to us WIS types, they now have an auto chrono as well. These are stunning at their price point and look really nice in person, especially this combo on rubber

tag-heuer-formula-1-black-dial-black-rubber-chronograph-mens-watch-cau2012-ft6038-21.jpg

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I won a TH Formula 1 at a job I had pre-grad school (yes, it was a sales job). Not going to lie, I loved that thing and thought it was high end, wore it everywhere. I still have it, needs a service.
In regards to the OP, a thousand dollar watch is nothing to scoff at. That's a lot of money for the average American and if they enjoy it then who cares if it's not at the height of horology?
If anything, I think the OP's interactions with his associates proves that TH's huge advertising spend and overall marketing plan is paying dividends. These are the guys that, when time to upgrade again, will go look at the Carrera line.
Final point, I think the overhauled F1's with the automatic movements that are set to be released are actually pretty good looking. They also have a starting price point of around $2k so those "non WIS middle class salesman everywhere" are going to have to find a new go-to time piece.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
heh. When I read the title of this thread on the main forum list, I instantly thought "Tag". Guess I was right. Also - really interesting - most of the discussion here is not about what *brand* it would be, but rather *which model* of Tag is the more popular for the purpose. That reeeally says a lot about what the brand image is, doesn't it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
In the industry I work in (heavy manufacturing), the I have arrived watch of the young successful whippersnappers tends to be whatever gaudy chronograph or Pilot that's advertised in the Wall Street Journal. Bell & Ross and Tag are common. The younger ones who party more it's usually some massive 48mm hubcap purchased at Macys. Old school guys wear a plain dial 36mm watch that looks like an intra-matic. Rolex adorns many times big ego types.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That reeeally says a lot about what the brand image is, doesn't it?
I think it says a lot about the brand image amongst people who have an interest in watches. I think if you spoke with the general public you'd get a much different perception of the brand and the F1 line than you see here.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
This is the only quartz I own and I got it for the same reasons that have been mentioned already. I have bought and sold all kinds of Seiko autos and also have some micro brand divers but this hasn't left my wrist since I bought it. Guess I have arrived.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
That reeeally says a lot about what the brand image is, doesn't it?
Yeah, it says that the general public considers TH a high-end watch. Tag's done an excellent job of bringing brand awareness to the non-WIS public. I wonder how many other luxury watch brands have as recognizable a name. Probably not many. You can hardly fault a brand (any brand, for any product) for successfully advertising its product.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Uhh ... Why do people at forum have to be snob and cringe at people spending only 1k for a watch... With most of the world unable to afford food, a 1k watch is indeed a luxury ... Not everyone born with bill gates as their father ... I'm happy that i can afford my tag and I sacrifice more than few months salary for this middling watch, its a luxury for me ...

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Uhh ... Why do people at forum have to be snob and cringe at people spending only 1k for a watch... With most of the world unable to afford food, a 1k watch is indeed a luxury ... Not everyone born with bill gates as their father ... I'm happy that i can afford my tag and I sacrifice more than few months salary for this middling watch, its a luxury for me ...
I'm cringing not because of "only $1k" - hell, that's *above* what I could feasibly afford.
I'm cringing because 1) A Tag is such an uninteresting, everyone-does-it choice that it's beyond bland (again, see all the posts - nobody's surprised about it being a Tag, instead of any other brand in the same pricerange), and 2) because I happen to think that it's not good-value-per-price brand (personal opinion, though). In short - I cringe because people (imo) waste their cash on an uninspired choice.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Interesting...

In my industry it's probably a Sub, Explorer II or Seamaster Pro 300M that people go for first...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.