WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my Paneristi friends. If you were to start a new PAM collection composed of only new watches, and eventually some new "old stock" (recent models), what would be the watches that you would buy. To make it a less time consuming assignement, let's limit it to 6 watches, all Luminor, all metals included. In other words, what would be your ideal new PAM collection? If you would like to comment your choices, please do so.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Base steel
Destro (ceramic maybe)
And a Radiomir because that's what started it all...

Also, probably two Sandwich Dial, one with seconds hand and one without...one painted or sauasage dial

·
Registered
182 Posts
I started recently, and so far I have an all Luminor collection : 1005(logo), 1305(titanium sub), 372 (with plexi), and 88(gmt).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for responding. I forgot to mention that they should all be 44mm. Of course, even if your suggestions doesn't meet my criterias, I am still interested in them as it may inspire me.

·
Registered
20,554 Posts
Not sure the “New” spring bar, snap back Luminors would interest me.

I’m more of a historic guy when it comes to Pams.

So if I was starting out (And money was no object of course) I would get these.

A Bronzo, of course, preferably a 382 or 671.

A Radiomir Base Dial, probably a 183 with the engraved movement.

A 127, or a 372, which is even better with the plexi glass.

A 87, la bomba, because a 1000m with a case like a tank screams Panerai to me.

A Zero, possibly still my favourite Luminor.

And lastly a complication, probably a 233, with that amazing domed Chrystal.

Doesn’t fit your guidelines entirely Panerol, but would be my choices.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure the “New” spring bar, snap back Luminors would interest me.

I’m more of a historic guy when it comes to Pams.

So if I was starting out (And money was no object of course) I would get these.

A Bronzo, of course, preferably a 382 or 671.

A Radiomir Base Dial, probably a 183 with the engraved movement.

A 127, or a 372, which is even better with the plexi glass.

A 87, la bomba, because a 1000m with a case like a tank screams Panerai to me.

A Zero, possibly still my favourite Luminor.

And lastly a complication, probably a 233, with that amazing domed Chrystal.

Doesn’t fit your guidelines entirely Panerol, but would be my choices.
Thank you Clive for your input. I would love to get a Bronzo, but it's a little big for my 6.5inch/16.5mm wrist. Which excludes all 47mm.
87 is 44mm, great watch, but I don't want to get preowned as I am very OCD, unless I stumble on a "safe queen".
233 is perfect, it ticks all the boxes, already on my list.

Nevertheless, I am interested in seeing different wishlist than mine also.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Hi Panerol! This is going to be difficult for me, as I am not too familiar with most 44mm Luminor models. Most of my collection is/was 47mm Luminor and Radiomir models, mostly models that are based on a rich history, as remakes of the original models. Nevertheless, for fun, I am going to try and answer your question:

1) PAM 562 Luminor Base 8 Days Titanium with dark brown dial. The combo of titanium and brown dial is outstanding. Also looks great with the included brown croc leather and also brown rubber straps. And also has 300M water resitance, plus an 8-Day power reserve, a movement which I found to be surprisingly accurate.

562 Panerol.png

2) PAM 561 Luminor Base 8 Days Stainless steel with white dial. I have never seen this one in real life, but I imagine it would be great to have this for a white dial watch

561 Panerol.png

3) PAM 590 8 Days Stainless steel small seconds at 9 o'clock, "8 Giorni Brevettato" at 3 o'clock

590 Panerol.png

4) PAM 511 Luminor Marina 8 Days Oro Rosso, a stunning gold watch to have in your collection!

511 Panerol.png

5) PAM 797 8 Days with small seconds at 9 and power reserve indicator between 4 and 5. Solid case back. If I am not mistaken, I believe this one still has the sandwich dial and lovely brown dial

797 Panerol.png

6) PAM 779 California dial 8 Days DLC. I have seen this in real life, and it's a beauty. I am not much on DLC coating, as it can chip if hit, but with this bund strap it should be maximum protection. The blued hands look stunning as well, and it's the only 44mm Panerai with California dial

779 Panerol.png

I prefer dials without date, although sometimes it's nice to show some other complications to change things up a bit.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Panerol! This is going to be difficult for me, as I am not too familiar with most 44mm Luminor models. Most of my collection is/was 47mm Luminor and Radiomir models, mostly models that are based on a rich history, as remakes of the original models. Nevertheless, for fun, I am going to try and answer your question:

1) PAM 562 Luminor Base 8 Days Titanium with dark brown dial. The combo of titanium and brown dial is outstanding. Also looks great with the included brown croc leather and also brown rubber straps. And also has 300M water resitance, plus an 8-Day power reserve, a movement which I found to be surprisingly accurate.

View attachment 14123533

2) PAM 561 Luminor Base 8 Days Stainless steel with white dial. I have never seen this one in real life, but I imagine it would be great to have this for a white dial watch

View attachment 14123535

3) PAM 590 8 Days Stainless steel small seconds at 9 o'clock, "8 Giorni Brevettato" at 3 o'clock

View attachment 14123537

4) PAM 511 Luminor Marina 8 Days Oro Rosso, a stunning gold watch to have in your collection!

View attachment 14123541

5) PAM 797 8 Days with small seconds at 9 and power reserve indicator between 4 and 5. Solid case back. If I am not mistaken, I believe this one still has the sandwich dial and lovely brown dial

View attachment 14123543

6) PAM 779 California dial 8 Days DLC. I have seen this in real life, and it's a beauty. I am not much on DLC coating, as it can chip if hit, but with this bund strap it should be maximum protection. The blued hands look stunning as well, and it's the only 44mm Panerai with California dial

View attachment 14123545

I prefer dials without date, although sometimes it's nice to show some other complications to change things up a bit.

Cheers,
Carl
Excellent selection Carl.

562 is already on my list, it ticks all the boxes.
561 I don't know why, but my brain can't accept a white dial PAM. Maybe it will grow on me in the future, who knows.
590 I love the rounded 8 Giorni Brevettato, but I miss the sandwich dial and the display case back.
511 On the list, simply perfect.
797 Very nice, but the PR hand makes it a little busy, I prefer PR on the back. I prefer either very simple or very busy like 233.
779 I simply love it! my only concern is DLC. I wouldn't hesitate a second if it was ceramica. DLC, I have to think about it.

Edit: Conerning DLC, it's not about fragility, I rarely scratch a watch. I prefer solid material, I never liked any material covered with another.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
funny you mentioned that.
i've had this very same thought about re-building a New PAM collection in the past 8 month or so.. reason being is that i no longer desire Big watches. so in less than a year. i had sold all 47mms (Panerai and other Brands). although i still have a couple (the 372 and an Ennebi Fondale Bronzo) but i'm definitely keeping my 46mm Big Pilots that have a special place in my heart.
(i also sold a 55mm LACO Pilot . what was i thinking when i bought it ??!!!:roll: :) ).

when i got into this hobby. i wore small watches. then i started to increase the case diameter a little bit at a time.. went from 40mm to 44 then 47 and 48mms.
i now after years of collecting and enjoying this hobby. find myself more attracted to moderate sizes. should be no less than 42mm and no bigger than 46mm.
strange how things turn around.

to pick a few of my most favorite PAMs. my list would be:
1) i love the 289 my current and most favorite piece. but the 233 will also do.
2) what i would very much like to have is 172 Tantalum.
3) a 45mm Radiomir 190 with a JLC Caliber
4) luminor ref# 1499. man. this watch oozes beauty and class. crispy white dial. 1950 polished case.
5) submersible 243
6) will have to be an imaginary 44mm Bronzo . any dial color with Ceramic bezel.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
funny you mentioned that.
i've had this very same thought about re-building a New PAM collection in the past 8 month or so.. reason being is that i no longer desire Big watches. so in less than a year. i had sold all 47mms (Panerai and other Brands). although i still have a couple (the 372 and an Ennebi Fondale Bronzo) but i'm definitely keeping my 46mm Big Pilots that have a special place in my heart.
(i also sold a 55mm LACO Pilot . what was i thinking when i bought it ??!!!:roll: :) ).

when i got into this hobby. i wore small watches. then i started to increase the case diameter a little bit at a time.. went from 40mm to 44 then 47 and 48mms.
i now after years of collecting and enjoying this hobby. find myself more attracted to moderate sizes. should be no less than 42mm and no bigger than 46mm.
strange how things turn around.

to pick a few of my most favorite PAMs. my list would be:
1) i love the 289 my current and most favorite piece. but the 233 will also do.
2) what i would very much like to have is 172 Tantalum.
3) a 45mm Radiomir 190 with a JLC Caliber
4) luminor ref# 1499. man. this watch oozes beauty and class. crispy white dial. 1950 polished case.
5) submersible 243
6) will have to be an imaginary 44mm Bronzo . any dial color with Ceramic bezel.
Thank you Tony for your response. Your selection is very interesting and useful to me.

289 Love it, and 233 also. I definitely must have one of the two, don't know which one yet, as I need to have a balance between RG and the rest.
172 Amazing piece, wasn't aware of it, will be hard to find unworn or almost new, but worth the effort to try to find one. On the list.
190 For the time being, I prefer to stick to Luminor and Luminor 1950
243 Nice PAM, almost identical to 682, but in 44mm, with OPIII instead of P.9010. Is there a reason for your preference over 682?
44mm Bronzo... I am 90% sure that it will happen next SIHH.

At the end of the day, this thread is more useful than I thought. I just discovered a beautiful PAM, 172, and I thank you for that. When I will process all the data that I will gather here and finish my list, I will post it to fine tune it. Thank you Tony for taking the time to share your list.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
TBH. i lost track of all newer model Ref numbers.
i had to google the 682 to check it out. it totally slipped off the radar ,but i'm sure i've seen it before. it is a nice piece. same size and lay out as your RG . however. i prefer yours a lot more ;-).

the 172 is painfully gorgeous. but be careful with particular model. there are some scary fake ones. remember you should always buy the seller.
also. take plenty of time shopping. even if it took a while. don't rush it. hunting and chasing your favorite pieces is part of the fun in this hobby.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
All luminor,all 44mm,all kinds of metal kind of collection,doesn’t have to be the pam I have in my collection

Here goes

Pam 92 arktos - it’s the first antimagnetic pam,and I particularly love the flat dial (there’s no indentation for seconds subdial) with lumed chapter ring

Pam 117 destro marina titanium - it’s the only destro luminor with titanium case and display back (56 have solid back)

Pam 239 destro submersible “chronopassion” - it’s the only 44mm submersible in destro configuration,only 75 pcs were made so you’re not likely to see someone else with it

Pam 163 radiomir with old handwound Valjoux movt - it’s the only radiomir with 44mm case size

Pam 335 luminor 1950 10 days gmt ceramica - 10 days gmt with ceramic case and domed sapphire,where should I sign?

Pam 345 luminor 1950 8 days monopulsante destro titanium - one of my favorite 44mm piece as it’s a destro,has long pr,lightweight case and still manage to have a simple dial

If 163 isn’t allowed,I’d go with pam 911 as the farewell watch of Angelo Bonatti and the one with different color on the dial

If I can choose any Panerai in my collection,things will be wildly different

The other one might be 607 so I’ll have 3 destros (or is it supposed to be destri?)

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All luminor,all 44mm,all kinds of metal kind of collection,doesn’t have to be the pam I have in my collection

Here goes

Pam 92 arktos - it’s the first antimagnetic pam,and I particularly love the flat dial (there’s no indentation for seconds subdial) with lumed chapter ring

Pam 117 destro marina titanium - it’s the only destro luminor with titanium case and display back (56 have solid back)

Pam 239 destro submersible “chronopassion” - it’s the only 44mm submersible in destro configuration,only 75 pcs were made so you’re not likely to see someone else with it

Pam 163 radiomir with old handwound Valjoux movt - it’s the only radiomir with 44mm case size

Pam 335 luminor 1950 10 days gmt ceramica - 10 days gmt with ceramic case and domed sapphire,where should I sign?

Pam 345 luminor 1950 8 days monopulsante destro titanium - one of my favorite 44mm piece as it’s a destro,has long pr,lightweight case and still manage to have a simple dial

If 163 isn’t allowed,I’d go with pam 911 as the farewell watch of Angelo Bonatti and the one with different color on the dial

If I can choose any Panerai in my collection,things will be wildly different

The other one might be 607 so I’ll have 3 destros (or is it supposed to be destri?)
Thank you Synequano for taking the time to give me your input.

92 OPIII, I don't like the movement
117 OPXI, love the movement, beautiful PAM
239 OPIII, no go, date magnifier, no go. There is one for sale if you want it for your collection
https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/pam-239-luminor-submersible-destro-chronopassion-ltd-44mm--id6865186.htm#gref
163 Radiomir, not for the time being
335 Definitely to be considered
345 Killer PAM, ticks all the boxes, love the PR on the back. Didn't know this one. On the list!
911 Even though I love green watches, I can't figure out that one, I have to see it in the flesh

Many thanks. One more thing, can the destros be worn on the left wrist?

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Destro is actually wearable on the left wrist as well,it’s actually nicer not to have a crown guard poking at your hand
As a matter of fact, I find it visually pleasing when I see a wrist shot of a destro on the left wrist, but I wanted to know if it was within watch étiquette ;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts