• Maybe/don't know

Votes: 31 18.0%
281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Re: iWatch

86% will not buy!!!!
Kinda a resolved issue among WUSers isn't it?
Apple (Billy Gates i.e.) is averaging $75 billion every 3 months (per WSJ)
And I'm gonna help him make it $75 billion plus my purchase price? NOT!!!!
Call me a Purist nut, but I prefer REAL WATCHES. Those kinds with balance
wheels, pallet forks, escapements nuther words. Pox on thee Gates!!!!
Will John Q Public buy em (at first yeah) Whatta bout when the new wears off?
Kinda/sorta like Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose"?

X traindriver Art

·
Premium Member
Zelos Hammerhead V3 Frost
2,276 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When the iPhone first came out, the majority of "those in the know" were quite disparaging towards it. In the end, it dominated. The apple watch isn't for us watch enthusiasts. It's for normal people who go buy a swatch, or a fossil and leave the store thinking they have a high quality watch. Considering all the hype on all the sites I follow (even wus), the apple watch will dominate its own genre, assimilate many who go after swatch/fossil and the sub $400 watch crowd (with the possible exception of the Seiko and Citizen purchaser; they tend to be looking for a mechanical watch rather than a useful accessory) and bleed into the ranks of the "WIS". The question is: will the apple watch be enough to compel the many who have jumped ship to come back from android. For me, yes; then again, that might be because I'm with blackberry…
Exactly this (and sorry for the late reply. Just catching up.) As much as Apple would love you to believe, slapping a solid gold case on the exact same hardware as the bottom end aluminum option doesn't magically make it a premium watch. It just makes it an object of conspicuous consumption. A fashion piece. A fine chronometer on the other hand is a genuinely crafted object, even if the price is similarly inflated and the cases over emphasized. In that respect mechanical watches will always have a market with people like us who appreciate technology from a different age and who can't spare valuable wrist space for what (at the moment) amounts to little more than a gimmick.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple develop some other kind of remote sensing hardware so that people like us could take advantage of the watch's features without having to surrender our wrists to it.

·
Premium Member
Zelos Hammerhead V3 Frost
2,276 Posts

86% will not buy!!!!
Kinda a resolved issue among WUSers isn't it?
Apple (Billy Gates i.e.) is averaging $75 billion every 3 months (per WSJ)
And I'm gonna help him make it $75 billion plus my purchase price? NOT!!!!
Call me a Purist nut, but I prefer REAL WATCHES. Those kinds with balance
wheels, pallet forks, escapements nuther words. Pox on thee Gates!!!!
Will John Q Public buy em (at first yeah) Whatta bout when the new wears off?
Kinda/sorta like Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose"?

X traindriver Art
It's Tim Cook, and I'd be very careful about drawing too many conclusions from the poll. Again, we're looking at the launch hardware. The watch will evolve significantly from here. The fact that few of us are interested in early adopting it is to be expected. It's going to have to offer a lot more to unseat traditional watches in most of our wardrobes. But evolve it will and converts it will undoubtedly gain in the process.

Reactions: shnjb

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

Exactly this (and sorry for the late reply. Just catching up.) As much as Apple would love you to believe, slapping a solid gold case on the exact same hardware as the bottom end aluminum option doesn't magically make it a premium watch. It just makes it an object of conspicuous consumption. A fashion piece. A fine chronometer on the other hand is a genuinely crafted object, even if the price is similarly inflated and the cases over emphasized. In that respect mechanical watches will always have a market with people like us who appreciate technology from a different age and who can't spare valuable wrist space for what (at the moment) amounts to little more than a gimmick.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple develop some other kind of remote sensing hardware so that people like us could take advantage of the watch's features without having to surrender our wrists to it.
People buying the gold edition Apple watch are clearly a different group from people who buy a couple of 10000-20000 watches; they're the types who buy a few 20k watches, a few 50k watches and a few 300k+ watches for a really special occasion, etc. So far the only people who have been seen with those are celebs and billionaires' heirs.
Of course there are probably many who aren't famous buying the thing too but it is clearly not the usual people posting on watch forums or even Instagram.

281 - 290 of 290 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.