WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2101 - 2116 of 2116 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all,

I picked up a 1960's Sherpa Jet GMT from the (ref. 148-35-02) a few months ago and have been wearing it on a leather strap, but I am trying to find more information on whether the watch would have come with a bracelet when it was originally manufactured/sold in the '60s. Does anyone have any information that could assist me? I've seen several Sherpa Jets on BoR (both in pics on this forums, see JB's post from ~2 months ago above, and on original adverts for the watch), but not this specific reference.

Here's an example of my piece, pretty much a dead ringer for what I have (down to the rally GMT hand): 1960s Enicar Sherpa Jet GMT Ref. 148-35-02

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wore my Enicar as I took my Tissot SeaStar into the watchmaker for a service and surgery on the date wheel.

I gave him a look and I told him I bought it because it looked very much like my dads old watch. He suggested the Enicar may even be mid to late 40’s. He had a little tray of Enicar bits including another AR1010 movement.

Anyway, he says to me that Enicar was known as a “hot” (stolen goods) brand in the day. He went on to tell me they came in on the ships for the wharfies to on-sell. (Wharfies are dock workers, stevedores).
Did your Dad know any wharfies? No idea I said, but he lived for a while in Alexandria (inner city Sydney), 2 doors up from the pub. He then says he probably bought it in the pub.

I thought it was a funny story anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
A desk find, my dad’s old Enicar Ocean pearl automatic.
Crown missing and hoping to find the correct measurements from you guys...
Also, I haven’t seen one like this anywhere so other info would be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have 2 of these 1956 Enicar Seapearl 600.
The one with the intact loom on the hands came from estate the original owner. It's going in for servicing very soon.
It is one of the watches tested by the US Navy at the time to be considered as their issued dive watch.

This one didn't make it, no movable bezel. Rolex didnt either as too expensive. They went with Blancplain. Don't know how long this was the US Navy issued dive watch for their Frogmen. I found an article about this on the internet.

Reactions: jbcollier

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seapearls can be very confusing. Here’s one with “Seapearl” only on the back but in a compressor case. I like the patinated dial. Others may feel otherwise ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Old thread revival time again.

I loved the OP Crazyfists initial post especially regards to Chinese culture back in the day though I must admit not much has changed in the last 50 years, still the same marital requirements though the game is a bit tougher these days, a bicycle just wont cut it any more lol.
Here are some examples of the stated brands though the first 2, the Roamer and the Enicar would never have made it to China at 25 and 44 jewels respectively as who could afford them! Well these 2 examples anyway however the 3rd one, the Titoni actually is a Beijing watch though at a much later time frame, even so the owner wouldn't have been worried by the requirement of a bicycle, if you could afford this watch a bike would not even be in your vocabulary and indeed you probably owned more than one apartment.

The Enicar which I just got back from my WM today as I only bought it last week is a high grade 25 Jewel AR1010B cal manual wind Ultrasonic and I would say its pretty rare, it looks even nicer inside with it gold flashed movement.
The photo looks a bit harsh in the lighting conditions I took it under, it looks much nicer in the flesh.

106 pages to this thread, It will take me a while to digest it all!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Old thread revival time again.

I loved the OP Crazyfists initial post especially regards to Chinese culture back in the day though I must admit not much has changed in the last 50 years, still the same marital requirements though the game is a bit tougher these days, a bicycle just wont cut it any more lol.
Here are some examples of the stated brands though the first 2, the Roamer and the Enicar would never have made it to China at 25 and 44 jewels respectively as who could afford them! Well these 2 examples anyway however the 3rd one, the Titoni actually is a Beijing watch though at a much later time frame, even so the owner wouldn't have been worried by the requirement of a bicycle, if you could afford this watch a bike would not even be in your vocabulary and indeed you probably owned more than one apartment.

View attachment 15947340

The Enicar which I just got back from my WM today as I only bought it last week is a high grade 25 Jewel AR1010B cal manual wind Ultrasonic and I would say its pretty rare, it looks even nicer inside with it gold flashed movement.
The photo looks a bit harsh in the lighting conditions I took it under, it looks much nicer in the flesh.

View attachment 15947343

106 pages to this thread, It will take me a while to digest it all!
Congrats on the Enicar, my one says g’day

Reactions: ghce

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the Enicar, my one says g’day

View attachment 15949769
That looks very nice indeed.

I received 2 of them from the same seller, a 21 Jewel in rough condition and the 25 Jewel in cosmetically better condition, unfortunately I had to rob the balance and balance bridge from the 21 jewel to get the 25 back to spec though I will keep an eye out for another movement to see if I can get the 21 up and running too.

These look really nice on your wrist and are so slim.

I have a couple of Enicar automatic star jewels sea pearls also but these manual wind ones were quite a surprise to me and look even nicer, the new fully serviced manual wind is running extremely accurately possibly even COSC standard but I haven't had it back from my Watchmaker long enough to make that call yet.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That looks very nice indeed.

I received 2 of them from the same seller, a 21 Jewel in rough condition and the 25 Jewel in cosmetically better condition, unfortunately I had to rob the balance and balance bridge from the 21 jewel to get the 25 back to spec though I will keep an eye out for another movement to see if I can get the 21 up and running too.

These look really nice on your wrist and are so slim.

I have a couple of Enicar automatic star jewels sea pearls also but these manual wind ones were quite a surprise to me and look even nicer, the new fully serviced manual wind is running extremely accurately possibly even COSC standard but I haven't had it back from my Watchmaker long enough to make that call yet.
I saw another 25 jewel come up on eBay locally (Five Dock in Sydney I think) at a good price and looking very nice.
The watchmaker I use was quite aware of the watches and movement when I showed him.
My one seems close to perfect in running as far as I can tell. Only thing is I’m not sure what the power reserve should be, I seem to get around 28 hours. That is workable, how does
yours do?

Also, I ordered that Enicar book last week so I’m looking forward to that. Hope to find this little beauty in there somewhere.

Reactions: ghce

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw another 25 jewel come up on eBay locally (Five Dock in Sydney I think) at a good price and looking very nice.
The watchmaker I use was quite aware of the watches and movement when I showed him.
My one seems close to perfect in running as far as I can tell. Only thing is I’m not sure what the power reserve should be, I seem to get around 28 hours. That is workable, how does
yours do?

Also, I ordered that Enicar book last week so I’m looking forward to that. Hope to find this little beauty in there somewhere.

I haven't timed mine yet for power reserve but looking at Ranfft site it says a 42 hour power reserve for this movement bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Enicar 1010
I expect mine will do that as it's just had a full service. Normally I tend to run them for a full week first to see what the accuracy is like and I am about 5 days into that now and still less than 30 seconds out from getting it back from my WM.

There seems to be a range of different grades for these and looking at the finishing detail and the gold flash I would say mine ( and probably yours is a high grade movement, likely chronometer grade. Looking thru other Enicar watches where this same base movement is used they dont have any where near the finishing detail of this ie plain unplated unmachined every day workers watches.

2101 - 2116 of 2116 Posts