WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2101 - 2111 of 2111 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

I picked up a 1960's Sherpa Jet GMT from the (ref. 148-35-02) a few months ago and have been wearing it on a leather strap, but I am trying to find more information on whether the watch would have come with a bracelet when it was originally manufactured/sold in the '60s. Does anyone have any information that could assist me? I've seen several Sherpa Jets on BoR (both in pics on this forums, see JB's post from ~2 months ago above, and on original adverts for the watch), but not this specific reference.

Here's an example of my piece, pretty much a dead ringer for what I have (down to the rally GMT hand): 1960s Enicar Sherpa Jet GMT Ref. 148-35-02

·
Registered
422 Posts
I wore my Enicar as I took my Tissot SeaStar into the watchmaker for a service and surgery on the date wheel.

I gave him a look and I told him I bought it because it looked very much like my dads old watch. He suggested the Enicar may even be mid to late 40’s. He had a little tray of Enicar bits including another AR1010 movement.

Anyway, he says to me that Enicar was known as a “hot” (stolen goods) brand in the day. He went on to tell me they came in on the ships for the wharfies to on-sell. (Wharfies are dock workers, stevedores).
Did your Dad know any wharfies? No idea I said, but he lived for a while in Alexandria (inner city Sydney), 2 doors up from the pub. He then says he probably bought it in the pub.

I thought it was a funny story anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
A desk find, my dad’s old Enicar Ocean pearl automatic.
Crown missing and hoping to find the correct measurements from you guys...
Also, I haven’t seen one like this anywhere so other info would be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 2 of these 1956 Enicar Seapearl 600.
The one with the intact loom on the hands came from estate the original owner. It's going in for servicing very soon.
It is one of the watches tested by the US Navy at the time to be considered as their issued dive watch.

This one didn't make it, no movable bezel. Rolex didnt either as too expensive. They went with Blancplain. Don't know how long this was the US Navy issued dive watch for their Frogmen. I found an article about this on the internet.

Reactions: jbcollier

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seapearls can be very confusing. Here’s one with “Seapearl” only on the back but in a compressor case. I like the patinated dial. Others may feel otherwise ;-)

2101 - 2111 of 2111 Posts