WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2111 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
A most enjoyable and informative thread...many thanks for posting. I've had the odd Enicar here and there but i don't own any at the moment.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Crazyfist, thank you for the photos of your watchmaker and of the love for Enicar! You might know there is a connection between these folks and my vintage watch of choice, Gallet. Of course, not many have heard of Gallet, but one of their cousins was Jules Racine based in New York in the late 30's. He was the only US importer of Gallet for many years. It was another Racine cousin that became interested in the watch business but for unknown reasons, split entirely with the Gallet connection and formed Enicar, which is Racine backwards.

That is the information as I know it. I've seen variations on that story as well. Obviously, you have put a lot more research in this than I have, I would enjoy hearing your take on that, if you know anything regarding it.
Very interesting information. I did not know much about Gallet watches, but I did some research and this is what I found between the families.

The name Racine comes from an old Swiss family in the 1600s. It was believed that Jules Racine comes from the line that immigrated to the now days Quebec. I guess Jules and Ariste Racine were distant cousins. And Jules Racine is a cousin of the Gallets.

Apparently, Jules Racine was also Enicar's main distributor in the US, although Enicar was not very popular in the US, I think that was because Jules focused more on his own name brand, which housed Gallet movements.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I wish I could tell you, but this post inspired me to take the watch in for a cleaning/servicing.
When it gets back from my watch guy, I'll open it up and let you know!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wow. A great thread with the link to your watchmaker as an added bonus. Just when you begin to lament something in your life, reviewing those photos should be a priority!

I have a number of Enicars as well. The favorite is the Super Compressor Seapearl shown below.

There is a German watch forum with a long, long thread about them. Wonderful information but you need Google translate built in to your browser if you don't read German:

Sammelthread Enicar Uhren - UhrForum

This would be a great thing to do here.

The SC Seapearl with an Ar1124 Supertest automatic movement:

Eni-sc.jpg
Eni-SC-Back.jpg

I have read this was Enicar's first chronometer grade automatic movement. It was never certified though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
crazyfist, reading this thread was a real pleasure. When it comes to "China" and "watches" the first that jumps to our biased minds here in Europe are the numerous fakes flooding the market. It is good to learn about the passion and care for these old beauties! Enicar is among my favorite brands! A few weeks ago I bought this one:

It is a Sherpa Guide, from the mid sixties (AR 1146, the 11nn movements were predecessor of the 16n series). The watch is from Mexico, and a sparepart flew in from Australia - if You look closely You can see a missing tooth on this "24 hour minute wheel" (right hand, tooth rim):

I will pick up the watch at my watchmaker tomorrow (hopefully), and it will join these three:

You can notice the difference on the lume-dots between the Jet and the Super Divette models. Unfortunately, they don't really glow long enough anymore to make meaningfull pictures. The Divette is like in Your sketch, the Jet's however do rather form a "cross". This Jet is one of the most beautifull watches I own, and I would not trade it for any price.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I like Enicar alot. I have one an Enicar sport, pictured below. I have been looking for a black dialed one that was not an Indian re Dial for some time. Or A Harpoon model, which seem to have differing dials. Ive only seen two Harpoons in the time Ive been looking on ebay, and they went above my budget. I love the sherpa 33 pictured immediately above and have never seen one before. Why does Crazyfist refer to it as a "jet"? I also just noticed he is in China, a prime place to find an Enicar, which hasnt been messed with. Well just my two cents and hopefully a pic. P&P.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
The "Sherpa Jet" is the one in the middle. However: The Sherpa date 33 is one of the most beautifull watches I own, and I would not trade it for any price.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There is a German watch forum with a long, long thread about them. Wonderful information but you need Google translate built in to your browser if you don't read German:

Sammelthread Enicar Uhren - UhrForum
Beautiful Enicar, and thanks for the link! I have faith that this thread will also grow with many pretty Enicar pictures.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
o.v.e, I cannot agree more that that is one hell of a dress watch. Such elegance with much subtlety, it reminds me of Glashutte Original's Senator Sixties model, definitely hold on and take good care of that one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ive posted pics up of mine in the past.. and ill put some more up.
Great inhouse movement watchmaker in its day....and great value for money.
Some are very collectible too.
I have around ten.

·
Registered
565 Posts
This one is coming back from the spa shortly. Cleaning, service, etc. $85. Panama labor rates are a lot lower...

It's a Seapearl Super A with an AR1290 Supertest movement. I like the contrast between the case and dial. Perfect amount of patina for the dial.

SuperA-aft.jpg

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Group shot of my Ocean Pearls, left to right: Cal. AR140, AR160, and a very interesting AR161 movement.

group.JPG

mov.JPG

AR140 does not have the strips as the AR16X manual wind series. I also have an AR160 from 1975, that was one of the first AR160s to be introduced in China, which also does not have the stripes. The watch is in service (will post pics soon).

AR140.JPG

AR161:
AR161.JPG

To be more politically correct, the movement above is AR 2161, this is NOT an Enicar in-house movement. Apparently, in order to meet demands, Enicar purchased this movement from another Swiss house, therefore the bridge looks different from the AR1161. Also, note that it does not say "Star Jewels" on the dial. But Enicar did decorate the movement beautifully. One of the biggest reasons I like the Ocean Pearls is for their gold movements.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
565 Posts
Back from the spa. Star Jewels automatic with a cal. 1145 movement. New Hadley Roma strap, crystal, and a hand polish of the case. I was going to sell it but now, perhaps not..

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here is a late fifties cal. AR1290 (13L) manual wind Supertest. So far, its time keeping is remarkable for such an old watch. My spa told me it only needed cleaning and lubrication. The case is worn a bit more than I like but the dial is pristine. I had the crystal polished and now I need to find a rose gold crown for it along with a better strap. The courtesy strap is just for testing on my wrist for a few days.

It is roughly 35mm in width without the crown so it is a decent size. It is also the largest caliber movement I own.

Case is a first gen. compressor. Note the little tab at the six o'clock position of the case. Turn the case back a little and it pops up. Not a screw or bayonet mount.

IMG00610-20120818-0827.jpg

IMG00611-20120818-0842.jpg

21 - 40 of 2111 Posts