WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2111 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I particularly like these because of their role in the early evolution of dive watches.
In 1958 when US Navy was testing watches for issue to their divers.
The watches they tested were:
Bulova prototype diver
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
Rolex Oyster
Enicar Sherpa Diver 600
Enicar Seapearl 600

Any of the first three would cost well over $10000 if you can find an example from that era.

The Enicar watches are somewhat more affordable.
Some of my Enicars ...
These are from 1955-6, well before the US Navy went shopping for theirs.
Enicar trio_2.JPG

·
Registered
565 Posts
FYI:

ENICAR 600 SHERPA OPS DIVERS CASE ONLY | eBay

Perhaps a few parts...

Thanks for this thread. :)

There is a downside to Enicar: parts. I have a Sherpa Guide and a Sherpa OPS languishing for parts and need a NOS 166 movement for the Guide. Since Chronoswiss bought the stock, these are even rarer than replacement crystals that actually fit. :) Search the forum for my tales of woe..

Of course, this is true for any vintage watch, but the fact that the stocks have disappeared from the market really doesn't help here.

But I like the Sherpas too much to give up. Every once in a while something turns up. I recently found NOS hands for the 160 family that will go on the Guide, whose hands are missing the plume. The 166 inside the Guide is simply worn out (multiple problems with pinions slipping, etc). The OPS case is a disaster, with the internal bezel gearing frozen and then a tooth breaking from a previous owner forcing it.

Someday, though, they will be restored to their former glory. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sherpas can occasionally be had on the sales forum. I bought a Divette off an eBay seller who obviously did not know what it they were looking at. Of course, the watch appeared to be a disaster so who could blame them? I bought it for the case and crown mainly. The Enicar cross hatch design. Hey, for $11.50 it was worth a shot.

See photos below to understand how far gone this watch was. I think it was in a fire. The movement shows some water damage but surprisingly, it weathered that fairly well. It is off to the watchmaker so they can try to remove the dial. The twodial feet screws are rusted...

Assuming I find the bezel parts, and that's a big assumption, the dial will need a total restoration -- $175 -- done the correct way with a new die. The dial markers cleaned up perfectly.

I will need a few odd parts for the movement though I have the same 1145 movement in another watch I could use in a pinch.

The outer case was in good shape with some wear marks you would expect on a 50 year old watch. I didn't over polish it though. Just enough to bring back the shine and get rid of some minor scratches. The bezel area had some damage with someone using a tool of some sort to pry open what they thought could pried open. It will need some professional attention but as this one is a keeper for me, I am not too worried about it. It won't be visible when I wear it.

The hands were in rough shape. I took them off the movement, and cut a small bit off of a Cape Cod Cloth. Wrapped the little piece around a toothpick and very gently cleaned the hands. Then, I used a cotton swab to finish the polishing process. (I first swiped the swab around the Cape Cod packaging to get some of the chemical cleaner on the it.) I used the dry end to buff the hands to a reasonable shine. Ready for reluming.

So, that's yet another barn find and contributes to the joys of owning Enicars :)

I now crave for a Sherpa. However they are really hard to come by in China. Where are you guys getting yours from?

One of my favorite Enicar article is this:
The 70's Watch: The Enicar Sherpa Super Dive and the Chronoswiss Regulateur - Part 3 - TimeZone

It compares the Chronoswiss Cal 16X with the Enicar 16X.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've got four now. I've been hanging onto one waiting to find a set of correct hands for it.
Each one is different but they all have the same wonderful Art Deco dial design.
Healthways was one of the early scuba equipment companies.
They can't have had many customers back in 1955 when they were selling the superbly salty sounding 100 Fathom watch.
Does that make twice as good as a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms??
Enicar x 4.JPG
Also a Sherpa Jet that I put together from a wreck a few months back.
Enicar Jet.JPG

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Wow those indices, hands and case are really shinny now. Congrats on the find! Can you polish the case yourself? how do you do it?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.

I used a Cape Cod Polishing Cloth. Google it and you'll find it. Very useful for very light polishing/brightening work.

I wanted to preserve the character of the case so I first used a 4000 grit polishing paper to take out some of the lighter scratches. Then I used the Cape Cod cloth to further polish it. I did not use a buffing wheel. All done by hand to reduce the possibility of over polishing.

The hands were a bit less work. Just very, very light polishing as I described. The key to remember is that the Cape Cod cloth is more abrasive than cotton swab. I was more concerned about damaging/bending the hands than getting a perfect finish. They are polished enough to go well with the refinished dial.

As for the dial, I found the screws that tighten the dial feet to the movement were rusted as were some other areas. Given the damage to the dial, I felt a good spray and soaking in WD40 wouldn't do any harm. The indices came out looking great so a redial was looking better and better.

I wrote Robert at International Dial and sent a picture of the dial and one that I found of the original. He said that in order to do it correctly, he would need to do a new die along with refinishing. $175. Most collectors frown on refinished dials but this watch is a keeper so I am not worried about that. Besides, it is so damaged that saving it is a better than throwing it away.

Cheers,

Hunter

Wow those indices, hands and case are really shinny now. Congrats on the find! Can you polish
the case yourself? how do you do it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like the Enicar's a lot!
Here are mine:

Seaperal from 1956.

DDF 250.

Ultrasonic from 1958.

Super Divette that's coming from a total review and dial restoration.

Crystal 7X N.O.S!!!!

My true passion is for the Sherpa's and the Seapearl's with the EPSA case (like mine's).
I think that the Enicar's have a very good cost-benefit rate for a brand with in-house moviments.

41 - 60 of 2111 Posts