WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember in the summer when I posted a short "review" of my MSAR.

Since then I haven't been around too much having sworn off reading watch forums so as to stop myself from purchasing more watches I could not afford. Anyways, since then I've had enough disposable income saved to look at another watch or two, and decided that since I liked so many large watches, to just go ahead and buy one despite my worry about them being too large for my ~6.5" wrists.

I settled upon a JSAR as I love my MSAR and it seems to have a higher resale value should I decide it truly is too large.

Anyways, pretty much everything I have said before applies to the JSAR and then some. I'd even say the JSAR bezel is a bit better. The only real downside is the absolutely monstrous weight, it is by far the heaviest watch I own, I'd say its only mildly lighter than my MSAR is on its bracelet while on its rubber strap. The bracelet will nudge the JSAR into ridiculously heavy territory. I can't wait.

But anyways, I know what you're all here for.... Pics. As before, my apologies for the quality of the pictures, I'm not the worlds greatest photographer to start, and I dont have a lens suitable for close up shots.

First of all, my MSAR, on my wrist as a point of comparison:

DSC_0015 by _Rand_, on Flickr

and now, the JSAR.

Untitled by _Rand_, on Flickr

And one more, a decent (IMO) comparison of the size of the two watches.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how its FAR too large for my wrists, but honestly, I don't really care, I love the damn thing.

As a side note... I really should have wiped the crystal before taking that last picture, but it wasn't easy to get them to stand up like that.

And now why I really made this thread, the one thing about the JSAR that disappoints me. The lume.

Now its not that the lume is bad, it is in fact, shockingly bright, for about 5 minutes, and from there is takes a nosedive into disappointment.

I'm not, and never been a fan of lume for the fact that it doesn't really last, but I really love tritium. My goal in lume for a watch is to be able to read it in the dark after all, not to gawk at how bright it is 10 seconds after being removes from the light.

Anyways, more pictures, starting with a shot taken immediately after being removed from a bright light source:

3 minutes:

5 minutes:

15 minutes:

25 minutes:

note: Times are slightly rough, but for round figures its close enough.

The lume has dimmed somewhat by the 3 and 5 minute marks, considerably by the 15 minute mark, and at the 25 minute mark, is all but out. Meanwhile the tritium is just as bright as it will be for the next decade or so.

So while the lume is impressive at first, within a half hour... not so much. The orange bits aren't terribly bright to begin with either. Granted, I'm rarely in situations where I simply cannot get enough light to read my watch, but when I do its handy to have a tritium watch on.

Tritium isn't nice enough for me to grab it over a non-tritium watch except under unusual circumstances, but when they come up, Ill be going for my MSAR, not my JSAR.

I must say though I'm tempted to finally buy a Seiko diver and compare the lume, maybe after i get the bracelet for this.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Let me start off by saying.....Nice pictures and write up comparing the two! The side by side shots truly show how massive the JSAR is, or....How small the SAR's are??? I've owned a TSAR and a GSAR and was underwhelmed by their size and flipped both of them after a short ownership period.

The wrist shots you posted are great! Honestly the first thing I thought when seeing the wrist shots was that the MSAR looked kinda small on your wrist and that the JSAR looked perfect!! Maybe that's just from my past ownership experience remembering how disappointed I was when I would wear my SARs around and look at my wrist and think "I wish they would put tritium in the JSAR!!" That would be the perfect watch if Marathon would consider doing it!!

On to the tritium....I too am the ultimate tritium FREAK!! I've owned or still own several tritium watches from about 12 different manufactures, to include...Luminox, Traser, Praetorian, SMW, Tawatec, S&W, MTM, Marathon, and most recently Deep Blue!! Since buying my 2 Deep Blue T-100 watches I've started selling off most of my other tritium watches because they DON'T COMPARE!! The lume on the DB's are several times brighter than even my BEST Luminox!! The Marathon watches, (IMO and several others on the forum), have dimmer tritium compared to Luminox/Traser and others. They are still plenty bright enough to do the job but I prefer the brightest!!|>

If your looking for the JSAR size with tritium and in an almost identical case as the Marathons you should check out the Deep Blue Day/Night Ops T-100 watches!! The price of the DB is another BIG PLUS!!! The are around $400 WITH bracelet and 2 extra straps!

Here's a couple of lume shots using a UV light because my camera won't take timed exposure shots.:-s
IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1169.JPG Copy of IMG_1179.JPG Copy of IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1160.JPG

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
gotta say I'm really liking the deep blue! wish there was an option for a eta movement, and maybe something in the 42mm range with that same amazing t100 look. Heck with a little smaller dial, it would almost have a dart dial look.

Also can't agree more about the virtues of tubes. I've got several watches with "amazing lume" such as the seiko monster, bluering etc, and I still think there's a lot to be said for the tubes, especially if you want/need to read a watch in the wee hrs of the morning. Though in fairness the monster and bluering are visible through the night.

·
Registered
820 Posts
agree i tried to like the luminova type watches , but i cant go away from tritium . i love my new deep blue daynight diver . the t100 orange tubes are just too cool.
i sold my tsar but regrt it , but i sold my jsar last week because i wanted my tritium back . if only marathon would get a clue and put tubes on the jsar!!!!!! id buy it in a second.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My TSAR was my first real watch and I was spoiled with tritium ever since. I don't understand it when people compare the different non-tritium lumes when you have to charge the watch with a light to get the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts