WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introduction (Skip it if you want to go to the review)
First of all, long time reader, first time poster for these forums. I have liked watches for as long as I remember. Primarily growing up on the Relic brand watches from JCPenny's. Looking back, they were crap, but I liked them at the time. They scratched easily, turned my wrist green after the sweat rubbed off the metal, and were just all around cheap watches. I went about a year without wearing watches and then I was in China Town, New York for a school trip.

I don't know if any of you have been there, but it is full of very fine watches (very fine, very fake watches). I was a kid in a candy store. I bought a Seiko for $15 that really caught my eye. The bezel was kind of a glowish green color and for some reason light reflecting off the crystal reflected as a pinkish haze. To this day I do not know if it was real but it certainly looked cool for $15.

This watch lasted about a year and a half until the movement stopped working. Replacing the battery only fixed the second hand, hour and minute hands were no longer moving. I decided it was time for a new watch, but this time, I wanted something special.

Review
I decided on the Invicta 9204A. A few reasons: I did some research, and I was impressed with the Invicta brand. I thought it would be worth the risk of having to deal with customer support should the watch ever break. Plus, the watch was $70 on Amazon. A bargain for 17 year old on a high school student budget.

I chose the quartz over the automatic because from what I read, the automatic movement in the Japanese Invicta watches did not have a very good power reserve and I liked having the accurate time of a Quartz.

And now, for the pictures. This is my first attempt at watch photography and I used my moms 4 MP camera (which isn't great). Next time I will try to use my dad's SLR.

Case/Band
The case, in my opinion, was very well constructed. It took me awhile to adapt to (having been used to such flimsy watches in the past) but it did not take very long. The weight is very nice, not too much, but you know its there.

The band is composed of center links which have a very reflective metallic coating and outer links which are composed of a brush metal coating. This gives it a very attractive look, however, the metallic coating really shows scratches and nicks. This being my daily watch, the center links are already showing wear.

I think this hybrid band is nice for a dress watch like you would wear for Friday nights but if it is a daily watch the normal wear really detracts from the look of the band. This wear would not be so apparent if the center links had a brushed finish like the outer links.

Crystal
Being a sub 100 watch, the crystal is mineral. Unfortunately, mineral does show scratches quite well. In the two months I have worn the watch I have so far avoided scratches on the main crystal, I however, cannot say the same for the cyclops magnification lens. If there is one major complaint about this watch, it is that the cyclops lens really detracts from the look of the watch. I do not believe that it is needed to read the date and the fact that it is beveled means that it is the first to be scratched. Through normal wear, I have received two scratches on the cyclops lens, making it rather hard to read the date from certain angles.

Dial
The dial is one of the most beautiful parts of the watch. It is a royal blue. Very dark, very majestic. Looks black in low light. It matches the bezel very well and the contrast on the dial is great.

Bezel
I do not care for the scalloped bezel on this watch. I understand that some of Invicta's other watches have a coin edged bezel and I think that would have worked better. I don't know how well the scalloped bezel works on more expensive watches like Omega but on this watch it does not work well under a lot of circumstances. I cannot, for the life of me, move the bezel if my hands are slightly oily or sweaty. I can move the bezel if my hands are wet, but I really have to grip the bezel hard. I believe a coin edge bezel would have been better for this watch.

Clasp
The clasp is a standard folding clasp. Nothing fancy. Only complaint is that you have to use your nail to get under the clasp to open it making it very very painful to try to open the watch if you do not have long nails.

Lume
The Lume on the watch is extremely poor. The only time I notice it working well is when I am outside in sunlight and walk into a room. The lume does not seem to absorb interior light very well. The light it does absorb seems to be lost very quickly.

Movement
During school I synced my watch to the school clock (all the clocks at the school are run on the same system). Over the two months I saw the watch running about 1 to 2 seconds faster per week. That is not bad in my opinion. I don't know how that rates to other watches of this price point but I was impressed.

Crown
Crown is a screw down. (Did not realize this until reading the manual, I could not figure out for the life of me how to pull it out!). It has the Invicta logo centered nicely on it. Looks fancy.

Repairs
One instance I felt like I should bring up. Just days after I got my watch, I dropped it while putting it on in the bathroom. It must of fell about four feet and hit the tile. After looking at the watch I found that the minute hand was bent up blocking the second hand from passing it, and therefore stopping the entire movement. This surprised me a lot. Being a kid, I have dropped watches all the time. (I used to play with the clasp when I wasn't doing anything, out of habit) and this never happened. Having getting such a higher quality watch and then having the hand bent up shocked me a little.

Luckily, the local watch store was able to repair it for just $7. Not bad.

Conclusion
I honestly can not think of another watch I would have rather bought for under $100. It is a beautiful watch (even if it is an imitation) and I get a lot of "Is that a Rolex?" from the ill-informed. Only complaints are the showing of wear and tear on the band, the cyclops, and the lume. This is definitely not a "beater" watch. Other then that I am impressed with Invicta quality for money ratio. I hope it is the start of an awesome watch collection.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Thanks for the review and welcome to the forum. That isn't a bad buy for $70 and for those new to watches, quartz isn't a bad way to go. But perhaps the next model you get is the 8926? Even with the power reserve concern, the Miyota's used in Japanese Invicta's have a hand-winding feature that is handy, give it 20-25 winds a day and it'll always be running.

I'll copy the review into the sub forum.

·
5,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the review.

If I were you I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the power reserve of the Miyota movements. They run for about 36-40 hours on a full wind which is about the same as the common Swiss ETA movements.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very nice looking watch for the price and thanks very much for the review. Perhaps another contender in the "King Of Sub $100 Watches" would be the Orient Mako.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Great review! Welcome!

You hang around here long enough and you'll grow to love automatic/mechanical watches. I love the sweep second hand and being able to watch the mechanics through the glass caseback. BTW, I've had an Invicta for 5+ years (8926) and the power reserve is fine. Also, it has excellent accuracy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts