WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
301 - 320 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
jamesbiz.

Thank you for your rude and patronising reply.

I might have otherwise appreciated the sentiment to protect me from financial loss, and protect the watch from damage. Instead I very much resent the use of your chosen language.

In the first place, it is MY watch, and it is MY money. If I chose to risk one or both of those, that is surely my business. In addition, I also resent your accusing me of being a "complete novice", and your inference. You have absolutely no idea about my previous experience and capabilities in anything, including watches.

I respect your right to withold any advice. However, if anyone choses not to offer anything positive, at least please do not be offensive. I don't see that anything I wrote, warranted that kind of reply.

As for wishing to pay someone to fix this. I don't. I could send the watch away and spend circa 250 quid and have it serviced. But given that it is 20 years old, I personally, and it is only MY opinion, do not consider my watch, to be worth my expenditure to that level. Which was precisely why I asked for advice here, and had it seems so far at least, wrongly assumed a friendly response.

·
Registered
784 Posts
LOLOL rude and patronizing? Whatever. Open your watch. HAVE FUN. Your movement alone is worth $300+. But sure sure, go ahead and do something that it took my dad decades to get good at. My response was friendly enough. Just because YOU got offended, doesn't mean I was offensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOLOL rude and patronizing? Whatever. Open your watch. HAVE FUN. Your movement alone is worth $300+. But sure sure, go ahead and do something that it took my dad decades to get good at. My response was friendly enough. Just because YOU got offended, doesn't mean I was offensive.
I will. Your dad must have been a slow learner. I assume like father like son. Your rediculous avatar suits you too.

300 + huh? Make me a decent offer above that then, and I'll consider it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I will. Your dad must have been a slow learner. I assume like father like son. Your rediculous avatar suits you too.

300 + huh? Make me a decent offer above that then, and I'll consider it.
LOL the guy claiming others are rude..... Sounds like you're projecting a bit.

I've sold 4 of your movements. Used. For $300 the past few months. But again, go ahead and mess with it, cause it's not worth it for you to find a good watch maker and have him at least quote you.

And to insult watch makers, on a watch lovers forum, while asking for advice on watch making. The height of arrogance. You clearly know nothing about watches, at all. It takes 2-4 years of school just for the fundamentals and another 5-10 on the job training for the stuff they don't teach you. . But yeah, keep pretending you know what the hell you're talking about. So like I said, PLEASE poke around in your chronometer movement. I beg you. Don't forget to give us a run down of everything you do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You do have a poor grasp don't you luvvie. Prey tell, where have I asked anyone anything about watch making? I specifically asked how to slow it down. Learn to read and comprehend, you may benefit from it.

As for the remainder of your commentary, I can't be bothered, -- you are a waste of my time (pun intended). I'll let you have the last word, go ahead sunshine, types like you always feel better with the lat word.

·
Read Only
155 Posts
Here's my Kirium, which I wore daily for 20 years across five continents, until I "learned" that you can't wear the same watch on the summit of Kilimanjaro and in a board room ;-)

It's never failed me, and keeps perfect time to this day.

·
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi guys, sadly the hour and min hands are not moving on my Kirium F1. I am now hunting for a new movement (prefer not to go to Tag Heuer). Any suggestions?

·
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Hi guys, sadly the hour and min hands are not moving on my Kirium F1. I am now hunting for a new movement (prefer not to go to Tag Heuer). Any suggestions?
Before jumping on a movement swap, I'd take the Kirium F1 to a good watchmaker. Although it's a quartz, this movement can be repaired to a certain extent. And it's a more common movement that one may think... used in other TAGs, Breitlings and others... Well, if you buy another movement I assume you'd take it to a watchmaker anyways.. so you might as well checking if it can get fixed before buying! It's my thought... good luck and please post your outcome.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Before jumping on a movement swap, I'd take the Kirium F1 to a good watchmaker. Although it's a quartz, this movement can be repaired to a certain extent. And it's a more common movement that one may think... used in other TAGs, Breitlings and others... Well, if you buy another movement I assume you'd take it to a watchmaker anyways.. so you might as well checking if it can get fixed before buying! It's my thought... good luck and please post your outcome.
My dad is a master watch maker, and there is very little that can be done to fix these movements. He barely even tries anymore. The problem is, it's not easy to get into the guts of the movement. But you're right, he might as well try. You never know. Can't imagine the watch maker can make it any worse.

The only other Tag that uses this movement is the Chronotimer. Tho it wouldn't have the Tag logo on the dial, as it uses an actual dial. The breitlings and omegas use the same base, but are different than the Tag movements. And for some reason, cost like $100-200 more lol. I've sold the tag for $300 and the Omega for $500 for some stupid reason. Not that i'm complaining. I just never got why omega and tag have such striking prices differences for things that should be exactly the same. Hell, that little dial bezel of the Omega X-33 costs almost as much as an F1 movement. Yet the F1 dial bezel I can't even sell for $30.

end rant

·
Registered
784 Posts
jamesbiz.

Thank you for your rude and patronising reply.

I might have otherwise appreciated the sentiment to protect me from financial loss, and protect the watch from damage. Instead I very much resent the use of your chosen language.

In the first place, it is MY watch, and it is MY money. If I chose to risk one or both of those, that is surely my business. In addition, I also resent your accusing me of being a "complete novice", and your inference. You have absolutely no idea about my previous experience and capabilities in anything, including watches.

I respect your right to withold any advice. However, if anyone choses not to offer anything positive, at least please do not be offensive. I don't see that anything I wrote, warranted that kind of reply.

As for wishing to pay someone to fix this. I don't. I could send the watch away and spend circa 250 quid and have it serviced. But given that it is 20 years old, I personally, and it is only MY opinion, do not consider my watch, to be worth my expenditure to that level. Which was precisely why I asked for advice here, and had it seems so far at least, wrongly assumed a friendly response.
I noticed how he never actually came back to tell us about how his experience was lol

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: My almost 20 year old Kirium.

Hi all,
Here's my Kirium. Chrono Auto. WL5213.

I bought this on the 30th Jan 2000, whilst passing through Geneve airport on my way to Verbier to go skiing. I still have both the boxes ( cardboard and leather) and all the original paperwork that came with it, including the certificate and the purchase invoice.

I paid the grand sum of 2025CHF for it. Which at the Jan 30th 2000 exchange rate of 0.3752CHF to 1GBP, is ₤759.74. I thought that was a LOT of money for a watch back then. And originally I was going to buy the 'cheaper' variety of Tag for circa 200 GBP. But the rather gorgeous sales assistant in the Tag shop, showed me the Kirium, and I was seduced by both. :)

I've worn it pretty much every day since. I think that's pretty impressive if you consider that I've dived with it, skied with it, knocked down walls and dug up concrete, rewired buildings, etc, and been a more sedentary IT office worker with it. Through all that though, it's kept going, and I didn't have it regularly serviced. I've never had water under the cyrstal either. I have to say, it impresses the hell out of me.

I bought the Auto, because I didn't like the idea of having to pay the required money to have a what is only a cheap battery put in it every couple of years. And I'd always liked the lazy aspect of auto's.

I took this picture at 10:40. But you'll see the time is showing about 10:57. It's gaining time to the tune of 15 minutes a day. This has JUST started happening quite suddenly in the last day or so. Prior to that, it was always losing about 2-3 minutes per month, or there abouts.

So my question is, how do I slow it down myself? I have the tool to remove the back, but before I do, I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Many thanks in advance.
Sorry, just saw this post now (@jamesbiz just posted a reply which prompted me to look back). Has this watch ever been serviced since 2000 when you purchased it? If not, it will definitely need a service. In fact, it's done very well for 19 years if you haven't had it serviced in that time. I noted that you mentioned it started to gain 15 minutes a day suddenly. I would see if the watch is magnetized. The fix is very simple - I have a de-magnetizer myself and used it successfully on my wife's Tissot. A watchmaker can easily de-magnetize it as well. In any event, it sounds like a service may be in order. Good luck!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Apr 2020 and this watch still looks futuristic

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, question, i'm thinking of getting a Kirium F1 or a Kirium Ti5.

now i'm wondering whether the ti5 can be polished, the one im looking at seems to be pretty heavily scratched.. its the WL1180, quartz non-chrono, all polished finished titanium case

Watch Titanium Metal Watch accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
784 Posts
hey guys, question, i'm thinking of getting a Kirium F1 or a Kirium Ti5.

now i'm wondering whether the ti5 can be polished, the one im looking at seems to be pretty heavily scratched.. its the WL1180, quartz non-chrono, all polished finished titanium case

View attachment 15248477
Yeesh. Polishing titanium? Now that would be quite a job. Not sure how large surfaces would turn out. I've polished small sections on watch links, but have never done a whole case like that. Have you considered going to brushed? Or do you want it to be all original?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeesh. Polishing titanium? Now that would be quite a job. Not sure how large surfaces would turn out. I've polished small sections on watch links, but have never done a whole case like that. Have you considered going to brushed? Or do you want it to be all original?
hey, yeah i used to want to this watch back in the 90s (got a blue quartz chrono instead, that i still have).. and i loved the way the dark chrome like look..
but if polishing titanium isnt an easy job, should probably just get the SS F1 (or maybe get both)

301 - 320 of 355 Posts